Bora Roller Stand: Dissapointing

Review by Kelly posted 03-16-2021 05:26 PM 907 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bora Roller Stand: Dissapointing No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, now I know. Buy another different stand.

I bought the stand because I must have forgotten the other one of two on a job site. It’s been AWOL for several years and I wanted an adjustable stand for each end of my bandsaw log sled.

It went together easy enough.

The adjustable top is a roller and mount held to a wedged shaped shaft by two screws.

The adjustable shaft is composed of a piece of U shaped metal with a piece of flat stock welded in the U-channel (about 1/8” in from from the edges).

The locking crank fits best by inserting the shaft with the indented side toward it.

The metal piece welded in the U shaped wedge shaped shaft is soft enough, cranking down to insure it won’t collapse, while supporting an 80# log on the sled base, leaves dips/dents that might qaulify as “pre-sets” on down the road. Unfortunately, if you want to set the roller up or down and the newly added “pre-sets” are too near, it’s hard to get it locked to where you want it.

The wedge idea seems like a good idea, since you have to keep backing off the locking mechanism to lower the roller.

The two screws holding the roller 90 to the sliding support didn’t stay tight long. It may be a good idea to install larger bolts, flat and lock washers and a nut. Too, if the stand will be put to use anywhere near the the weight limits it claims to support, it may even be a good ideal to add more support braces across that area.

Compared to the two stands I picked up from a big box, this is a week-ender unit and good for supporting weight rated at far less than is indicated in related advertising (e.g., holding up a 2×4’s or 2×6’s).

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

View Mike_D_S's profile

Mike_D_S

#1 posted 03-17-2021 02:43 PM

Appreciate the review on what should be a pretty basic item. It’s not hugely more expensive that the HD version, but I’ve not had any of the issues with the adjustment on the HD versions (thought I’ve probably only supported a max of 50 lbs on one). The indentions are a problem long term for sure.

-- No honey, that's not new, I've had that forever......

View 1thumb's profile

1thumb

#2 posted 03-17-2021 10:02 PM

Based on reviews, evidently the Bora 8’ straight edge clamp also sucks. To thin not to bend in middle. Bora beware!

-- I actually have two thumbs. Both prehensile and opposing.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

#3 posted 03-17-2021 10:54 PM

I see the Bora fold up support that looks like a hundred glass tent poles and my scoff meter came on. I know the concept is do-able, but…..

View Triumph1's profile

Triumph1

#4 posted 03-18-2021 06:55 PM

I purchased this stand also and instantly broke the tiny welds that hold that thin flatstock in the U-channel. I fixed it by cutting two wedge pieces of wood and inserting them between the flat piece and the U-channel. They act as a support for the thin piece. i would not purchase this stand if I was in the market again.

-- Jeff , Wisconsin Please...can I stay in the basement a little longer, please!