Surprisingly Handy GearKlamps

Review by pintodeluxe posted 03-15-2021 06:57 PM 1021 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Surprisingly Handy GearKlamps Surprisingly Handy GearKlamps Surprisingly Handy GearKlamps Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have found these gear driven clamps to be particularly helpful repairing antique rocking chairs. Since the handle is in line with the clamp bar, you can access tight spots that would be impossible with a traditional F-style clamp. In addition to the greater access in difficult to reach areas, I simply like the clamping action of the GearKlamps. They will never fully replace my collection of parallel and pipe clamps, but I think I’ll look to these instead of standard F-style clamps as I add to my collection. I added GearKlamps in the 12” and 18” size, and they are quickly becoming a shop favorite. My wife actually prefers these and the trigger clamps over heavy parallel clamps. I guess it depends on the application, but these GearKlamps offer a robust 450 lb. clamping force. That’s more than adequate for regluing my old rocking chairs, or any medium duty clamping task in the shop. It’s like any new product, you’re not sure how much you’ll use them until they’re actually in your shop. The order I would purchase clamps is 1. Small parallel clamps like the Revo Jr’s, 2. Large parallel clamps like K-body Revos, 3. Pipe clamps like H-body ½”, 4. Trigger clamps, 5. Specialty clamps, and 6. light duty F-style clamps. Technically I consider these specialty clamps, but they can do everything an F-style clamp can do. I honestly didn’t realize how handy these would be in the workshop.
The grip is partially rubber, so it’s easy to get a good grip. The sliding action is via a thumb lever. The clamping action is quite secure, and surprisingly strong for its size.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#1 posted 03-15-2021 07:06 PM

I got one of these to try, but didnt really think it was worth the $. I didnt think the clamping force was enough, it deflected a lot. I also scratched me head and tried to thi I of a situation I had run into that would actually necessitate the clamp actuation being out of the way on the bar.

I DO really like the Bessey Duo Klamps. My complaint on those is the same however, not enough clamping force. Plain f-style clamps have more clamping force in my opinion.

-- Pete

#2 posted 03-15-2021 07:12 PM

Certain situations will dictate Parallel clamps like the Revos or Revo Jr’s, but when I have a load of clamps stacked on my rocking chairs, and need to add one more… these do great.

#3 posted 03-15-2021 08:50 PM

Nice review Pinto. I have one of these I bought when they first came out.
The setbacks on them are few but there are 2.

You can only spread or close them from by pushing down on the release button, nice when you’re opening them awkward when closing them. The head of the clamp is thicker and can’t get under tighter spaces like a regular f-clamp.

But the pros do out weigh the cons.

#4 posted 03-15-2021 09:37 PM

Yes, each type of clamp has its particular way of opening and closing. Good point.
Thanks for posting side by side pictures.

#5 posted 03-16-2021 12:14 AM

... I have one of these I bought when they first came out….
- James E McIntyre
Only one JEM? Ye men of little faith… Even bad apples should come in pears.
I have a few pairs of various sizes and even pairs of pairs of some.

I believe the internal gears are plastic that will sacrifice extreme force. I haven’t concentrated on the deflection as I was more concerned in getting some sort of grip in adverse situations.
While one can exert more force with regular f-clamps there are times when I needed a clamp to reach a tad past the edge which would scrape my delicate soft fleshy knuckles against obstructions and impede clamp application. It’s not my first goto clamp (similar to pinto’s top 6), but it’s a handy addition to my ”get a grip” arsenal.

There is one issue I have with these clamps… only these particular clamps… I don’t believe I’m dislexic, uncle Alzheimer is hopefully still a long slow walk away and I do have sober moments, however, I nearly always twist the handle in the in the wrong direction… well that was when I first got them, now I only do it half the time (when I forget to read… though I hate reading)

Hell, in my defense, during a glue-up, near the end and you start to panic to the point that a hammer looks like a clamp, there is no time think.

... The order I would purchase clamps is 1. Small parallel clamps like the Revo Jr’s, 2. Large parallel clamps like K-body Revos, 3. Pipe clamps like H-body ½”, 4. Trigger clamps, 5. Specialty clamps, and 6. light duty F-style clamps. Technically I consider these specialty clamps, but they can do everything an F-style clamp can do. I honestly didn’t realize how handy these would be in the workshop…
- pintodeluxe

Good review and fair rating pinto’, however, I would replace #2 with the Bessey KREV or an upgrade (unless we’re talking about the same dog with just different legs).

#6 posted 03-16-2021 01:29 AM

Hmmm, that’s very peculiar. The Bessey GearKlamp marketed and sold in North America tighten in the traditional way. There’s no white sticker on them either.

LBD, did you get an early beta version?

#7 posted 03-16-2021 04:10 AM

LBD, did you get an early beta version?
- pintodeluxe

I got the Aussie version… upside down… That’s why I dymo’d them. Furtunately O and C are similar upside down.

View TJMD's profile

TJMD

#8 posted 03-16-2021 10:49 AM

+1 with Pinto and LBD… I have found several situations where these worked great.

#9 posted 03-16-2021 03:43 PM

- TJMD

TJMD
I also found several situations where the Gear Clamp excelled.

Their inline handle allows them to reach under my bench further without scraping my knuckles on the bench cross support, allowing me to get a better grip in things. (:^}
Which of your projects did you find them useful?

#10 posted 03-16-2021 04:00 PM

... I have one of these I bought when they first came out….
- James E McIntyre

Only one JEM? Ye men of little faith… Even bad apples should come in pears.
I have a few pairs of various sizes and even pairs of pairs of some.

LBD. I bought this 1 clamp the first week they were available just to try it. They were a lot cheaper then. Never had a need for more until you mentioned apples and pears and looked at my clamp rack and noticed how lonely Mr. Gear looked.

#11 posted 03-16-2021 07:19 PM

Which of your projects did you find them useful?

- James E McIntyre

Use them much the same as you do around the bench and router table… not so much on carcass assembly… however can be useful for add ons to carcasses.

One of my many foibles is, I always buy clamps in 4s (or at least 2s)... I never buy clamps in odd numberst… The 2 small gear clamps are only because there were only 2 available at the time.

I upgraded 4 of my Bessey Revos with the KREV upper jaws and was so impressed I went for another 4 upgrades… C19 has caused limited stock and they only shipped 3 with 1 on back order with me in a tizz for the last 2 months… If this was the case at order placement I would only have bought 2… we all have out quirks… some more than others… that’s why the missus says I’m totally quirky, or is it insane.

View ChromeB's profile

ChromeB

#12 posted 03-22-2021 09:01 PM

I laughed pretty hard as I read this- great comment. I thought I was the only one that did this.

Nick