Shop Fox D4666 - Heavy Duty Mobile Base review

Review by Beuford posted 03-05-2021 11:04 AM 836 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Fox D4666 - Heavy Duty Mobile Base review Shop Fox D4666 - Heavy Duty Mobile Base review Shop Fox D4666 - Heavy Duty Mobile Base review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I went looking for a mobile base for my recently-acquired Delta 36-649 table saw with T2 30” fence. I found the Shop Fox D2057A ($95) and the D4666 ($100) at the local tool store, but I’ve read the problems many have had with the plastic wheels on the D2057A so I opted for the D4666. I’m sorry to say that I’m a bit disappointed, even at only $100.

This model does come with what appear to be cast iron wheels with a polyurethane “tire”. However, they look to have been painted by hand. Not sure why they painted them black at all, but that’s what they did.

On the plus side, the welds are acceptable (most, anyway):

As for fit and finish, you’ll notice that the wheels don’t fit well in their assigned spots; I took up the added space with a nylon washer. On the plus side the wheels do use properly-sized sleeves to mount the wheels so as to prevent applying lateral pressure on the bearing when tightening.

The unit went together easily and all required parts were supplied. However, a pet peeve of mine is when something bears against the threads of a bolt – in this case the foot pedals that control the rubber stabilization feet. I replaced the bolts with some that allow the pedals to bear only on the solid part of the bolt (not on the threads).

What really annoys me about these silly rubber feet actuating pedals is that they got the curvature wrong. What’s supposed to happen is that once they are actuated past a particular point the force of the feet pushing back causes the pedal to lock in the “feet down” position. But – since they got the curvature of the actuation surface wrong – one of the pedals “de-actuates” itself within a few seconds. On top of that, there is so much “slop” in the rubber feet support that they are essentially useless when operating the saw. They allow the saw to move back & forth ~ 1/2in, which when operating a dangerous power tool like a table saw can be quite concerning. To maintain a motion-free workspace when feeding materials into the saw I have to use wedges in the rear wheels.

You can see how much slop is in the feet design in these two pictures where I apply back-and-forth pressure on the supports while noting the large deflection:

Overall, it’s reasonably well made for the money, the but flawed design of the stabilization feet and their actuation system makes it pretty useless for a powerful table saw. I shouldn’t have to make wedges to secure the base before use; when the stabilization feet are deployed I should be able to assume a reasonably-safe operating environment.

I’m going to design and build my own replacement. I think I can do better, maybe even for about the same cost.

Beuford

View Beuford's profile

Beuford

View pottz's profile

pottz

16199 posts in 2040 days

#1 posted 03-05-2021 09:44 PM

been there done that and yeah there junk.i only use rockler all terrain bases now which are heavy duty and roll very well even with 600lb machines.they do cost more but you get what you pay for.if you make your own use polyurethane wheels at least 4” 5” is even better.the rockler are on sale right now for 200 normally 250.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#2 posted 03-06-2021 02:50 AM

Agree. Not impressed with commercial products. I have two different brands and disliked both. Made mine with plywood and four locking casters. Simple measurements. Saved $’s too.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Sark's profile

Sark

#3 posted 03-06-2021 04:10 PM

Also not really impressed with the commercial mobile bases, though I’ve a used a number in the shop for quite a while. The rubber feet seem to be a common problem for all of them. Which means that they need to be adjusted/shimmed to be stabilized after moving to a different spot in the shop. And the mobile bases add some instability which is to say mounting directly to the floor will always be the more stable.

The Saw Stop mobile base does it right. For about $400 you get a hydraulic lift so that when lowered all four feet of the base are on the ground. I’ve never used it, but it seems like a good design.

View go4tech's profile

go4tech

37 posts in 2081 days

#4 posted 03-08-2021 07:41 PM

Agree with dustyal.

Made a mobile base for my DJ-20 jointer. Used steel angle iron and dual locking coasters. The quality dual locking coasters were more than the angle iron. Very easy to roll. Just do not go too fast as the mass is large.

Also have the SawStop base indicated by Sark.

Having the 360 of movement makes them easier to put into tight places for storage.

Outside of the height difference (btw – is a plus for me), there is no noticeable difference (except for the pricing difference).

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#5 posted 03-10-2021 06:02 AM

Guess I got lucky with one of the earlier models. It’s worked for me quite well. Best part is a friend gave it to me just to get it out of his shop.

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#6 posted 03-10-2021 07:48 PM

I have seen SawStops industrial mobile base. Thing is amazing. The mobile base for my Unisaw no longer works. Well it kinda works more like dragging the machine than rolling it.

-- Petey