First Grizzly Purchase HORROR SHOW

Review by jak5352 posted 03-04-2021 05:39 PM 3528 views 0 times favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First Grizzly Purchase HORROR SHOW No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello All,

I am new to Lumber jocks as a member but I have been lurking around here reading reviews and opinions for a long time. I am in the process of building a new woodworking shop and have gotten a lot of great ideas on shop design, tool selection, and many other tips and tricks. It is really great!

I am in the process of purchasing new equipment for my new shop and decided the first purchase to be a Grizzly G0513X2 bandsaw. I made this purchase just yesterday. After reading about the awful customer service of some brands on Lumber Jocks I chose Grizzly over the other brands hoping that my customer service issues would be better if I needed CS.

Unfortunately for me the horror story with Grizzly started 5 minutes after my purchase. I loaded my new G0513X2 band saw into the cart and applied my discount code. The total with shipping and tax was $1,408.16 which I considered to be a reasonable price from the current list price they show now of $1,370.00. I entered my info and CC and pushed “PLACE ORDER” this is when the scam begins. I have uploaded a screen capture of my cart so you can see what I saw before I placed the order. I generally do this for big purchases in case of dispute. I am glad I did it this time.

I was charged $1,632.93 NOT $1,408.16 that I agreed to pay! I was sent a confirmation email within 5 minutes which had a link “click here for problems with order”. I followed the instructions on the link which was an email to [email protected], I explained the problem, and forwarded the copy of my purchase screen. Once the email was complete, I called CS and talked to a woman named Diane. I explained the problem to her and told her I sent the email with the screen capture of my purchase. She was kind on this call, almost too kind. She poured on the sweet talk nice and thick thanking me for buying something from Grizzly, assuring me that overcharge would be taken care of that day. She assured me the email I sent attaches to my order so they can take care of it. I was relieved and at this point thinking that there was truth in the better CS from Grizzly only to realize later this kind woman named Diane was feeding me nothing but BS.

The next morning (today) I receive an email that the bandsaw had shipped! In one way this is really great service but considering that I have an issue with the order that I called Grizzly on, Grizzly had no right shipping anything order that there was a problem with. Apparently, Ms. Diane did nothing to address the problem with the order and made sure the bandsaw was shipped FAST! As you will see why in the next paragraphs.

I called Grizzly again and spoke to “Diane” Today she isn’t as syrupy sweet as yesterday and claims she never received the email describing the overcharge. In fact, she tells me on the phone that she doesn’t understand what the problem is!! What? I explain it all to her again and she recommends that I forward the order issue email again to her and call back in the afternoon. You all can see where this is leading right.

You guessed it. I called back in the afternoon and who did I talk to? Diane! This time she was downright mean. I asked her to issue a refund for the overcharge. She can’t do that. I have to talk to a manager. Please give me to a manager. She can’t do that. Why not? They are all working. Well, this is their job to work with customers that call in right? NO! It takes two days for a manager to talk to you! Well, the bandsaw has been shipped why was it shipped when you know there was a problem with the order? “We like to ship things fast”. But I don’t agree and never agreed to pay the amount you charged for this band saw. Well, that is a problem isn’t it? She says… Diane goes on to say if you don’t take the machine, we will charge you return shipping and restocking fees! You got to be kidding me!!??

So the scam apparently is to lure you into a purchase with a good price and then charge you more money. AND to make it difficult for you they ship the unit really fast, in this case less than 12 hours, so that they are guaranteeing that they will take some money from you!

This in my view is outrageous and no different than stealing. I am fine with mistakes by people or mistakes by computer websites but I expect these to be corrected immediately in a kind honest manner. Certainly give me the opportunity to take the product or decline it at a different price than what I agreed. I don’t think ANYONE who uses a credit card agrees to be charged whatever the company feels like just because they have your number.

So, anyone looking to buy Grizzly, beware. Their CS is no better than others I have read here and in my opinion much worse and dishonest. I have read here that many companies have bad CS after the sale because of poorly built machines but Grizzly seems to want to take your money and give you nothing for it BEFROE you even get a machine! At least with the other companies you will have a machine for the money no matter how poorly the parts are, With Grizzly you have nothing for the additional money, they just take it because they feel they can!

I miss my old 1980 delta contractor saw. These new companies are really not so good it seems.

I hope this helps others make a decision on what tools they buy. This is my first and last purchase from Grizzly, I will never buy from them again due to their dishonest and deceptive practices.

I know I have received a lot of good advice here so I thought I would share.
Jeff

View jak5352's profile

jak5352

#1 posted 03-04-2021 08:12 PM

Thanks for the share. Much as I like my saw (the same one as yours, with brake and cast iron wheels, purchased a month or two ago), I hate games that smell like hidden fees, bait and switch and so on.

I think I missed out on the discount, which would have gotten me at least the base, by a few days.

Even then, I seem to remember problems with “surprises” in the course of buying and receiving the saw.

On another note, IF you get the suggested mobile base, you will be in for more surprises. For example:

- The bolts, with the lock nuts on them, stick up too high to open the lower door.

- The mounts for the rear wheels do not allow the door to open far enough to remove and install blades. Fortunately, the door lifts off. Still…..

- There isn’t much ground clearance with the stock wheels, so rough floors, chips and so on can create drag. For me, until I swapped to bigger wheels, it was REALLY hard to move the saw on the solid rubber horse mats. After the swap, all is well, BUT modifications have to be made because the front wheels cannot fully pivot.

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

#2 posted 03-04-2021 11:41 PM

Hmm, this is not a product review?
Posted in wrong forum

Your first post to LumberJocks, and it is complaint that you are still working to resolve with Grizzly?
Calm down, give Grizzly time to figure it out.
Have had some back order and wrong part order fulfilment issues myself.
All Grizzly CS is working from home, and switching you to a manager on the call is not possible.
Afraid you have to wait for return call, thanks to social distancing.

If contact with manager does not resolve the problem, then sure hope you used a credit card?
Wait for charge to show up online, and call the CC company, and claim fraudulent purchase price.
Email them the supporting documentation with purchase price, discounts, shipping, etc.
You won’t have to pay till this resolved, regardless of ship status.
Assuming your claim is valid, and numbers are correct; the bean counters have authority to fix it quickly.

Best Luck.

-- If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, - Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign released 1967

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#3 posted 03-05-2021 12:20 AM

I think posting it in reviews is fine as many people comment on good service.

I would be very upset and I hope they resolve it.

#4 posted 03-05-2021 12:31 AM

I’m with Redoak. It’s about product in that service is part of the show.

As they say, do me good, I’ll tell a few. . . .

I have a company I do business with, which didn’t make good on a problem with their web pages and which cost me money. I may like products they sell, but I’m no more going to let them skate for problems that cost me money any more than they would have let me skate if they hired me to build their cabinets or do other woodwork and they had a problem with my product or pricing.

View BobHinden's profile

BobHinden

#5 posted 03-05-2021 03:52 AM

Suggest you contact your credit card company and dispute the charge.

-- Bob Hinden / San Francisco Bay Area

#6 posted 03-05-2021 03:59 AM

Hmm, this is not a product review?
Posted in wrong forum

Calm down, give Grizzly time to figure it out.
Have had some back order and wrong part order fulfilment issues myself.
Afraid you have to wait for return call, thanks to social distancing.

You won t have to pay till this resolved, regardless of ship status.

Best Luck.

- CaptainKlutz

+1 this hasn’t gone through the process yet,come back when youve talked to a manager and how they deal with it then we can judge.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#7 posted 03-05-2021 08:12 PM

It sounds like he’s already gone through much of “the process” and seems to be in circle back mode now. I’d be pissed too.

A couple hundred can be the difference between a saw with aluminum wheels or cast iron ones, a mobile base, a hundred dollars in blades, or what have you.

That said, there is/are some good ideas and advice for solutions.

View jak5352's profile

jak5352

#8 posted 03-06-2021 12:03 AM

Thanks everyone!

To clarify this has gone through the process and as of yesterday per an email from a Grizzly manager they refuse to deal with this. Grizzly claims that it was the “website’s” fault so they can charge me whatever they want. Which is fine but since they shipped the saw I don’t have an opportunity to not purchase it. I have not received the bandsaw yet it is still in transit.

I apologize if I offended “captinklutz & pottz by posting my experience. My only intent was to relay an experience with a company that many here do business with. If people don’t review these company’s and the products they sell then these companies will continue delivering poor quality and bad customer service. I read a lot of reviews where people say that are fine with some runout, nicks, dents, etc. because it could be worse???!! That is bizare at any price point. The only way we get quality, ingenuity, service etc. is holding these companies to account for their actions and products. That is part of what these sites are for IMO. Otherwise our country is China where everybody keeps their mouth shut and pretends they are satisfied with what little they get. I didn’t know I should wait a particular number of posts before submitting a review. The administrator reviewed this and posted it after 24 hours so it must be okay?

Nobody should be okay with what happened here. This is same as stealing. I never authorized any amount to be charged other $1,408.16. Remember the days when you ran the credit card charges through a carbon copy machine and you had to sign? If you didn’t sign, the CC company wouldn’t pay. In other words if you don’t authorize the charge you don’t pay. I am not sure why that has changed today. What makes a company believe if they have your account numbers they can take whatever they want is beyond me. It is fraud plain and simple. I am glad it wasn’t a debit card they could have emptied my bank account and claimed it was the website’s fault and send me a saw blade! LOL

Yes, I used my credit card so they have been notified. Most states have consumer affairs departments of the Attorney general have laws on the books for unauthorized use of credit cards. So I have some avenues.

It is just very disappointing that I have to jump through these hoops to get returned what was taken from me. All Grizzly had to do was tell me that they couldn’t honor the price the their website produced and ask me if I still wanted to purchase it. I wouldn’t have bought the machine and there would be no issue here. But the took my money without authorization and shipped the saw. That is a scam!

Hi Kelly, do you like the bandsaw? Maybe I would cheer up a bit if I knew I was getting something good without more issues after delivery. Thanks for the heads up on the rolling base. I was considering that and you are right I could have a rolling base for the amount Grizzly overcharged me! How much higher does the base make the saw? I am tall 6’-2” so a little extra height may be good. I may look for another solution for a base, it sounds like a real hassle to change blades with that base not being able to open the door.

I was going to buy a Laguna 18BX but I read a lot of bad reviews on Laguna CS and the 18BX saw in particular has had some bad reviews quality wise on youtube so I went the Grizzly route. I really had a hard time pulling the trigger at $1,408.16 since this saw was $975 less than 8 months ago and $1130 two months ago. being forced to pay a couple hundred more for the saw or $300.00 more in restocking fees PLUS return shipping REALLY stings!

I am starting construction on a new shop and buying all new machines for it, table saw, planer, jointer, cyclone, drill press, 37” sander, some other smaller machines so I hope the purchasing process is better than the first purchase. If it doesn’t get better or it gets worse I think I will quit woodworking! LOL

Jeff

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#9 posted 03-06-2021 01:44 AM

This thing is incredible and makes one wonder if any company can do something like this.

#10 posted 03-06-2021 02:17 AM

no you did not offend me i just wanted to wait and see what the management was going to do to make it right,and it sounds like they really screwed up.maybe they dont understand the power of a bad review on a forum this size.if you havn’t yet recieved the saw when it arrives id refuse delivery and send it back.then go too your credit card company and explain why they should not be paid.ive always heard good things about grizzly but this will make me think twice about every buying a machine from them.i hope this works out ok for you,keep us informed.sounds like total bs!

#11 posted 03-06-2021 02:25 AM

I am VERY happy with the saw. It is all that I expected. There are several reviews about them. Mine can be seen at: https://www.lumberjocks.com/reviews/12196

I’m editing it from time to time to better describe the beast, its performance and so on. The review includes information that may be helpful on things like off loading, assembling and the recommended mobile base.

I have a 14” Powermatic, so won’t be using it for scroll work and such.

I bought blades from bandssawbladesdirect, installed one, then ran a bunch of 10” cherry shorts, 10 sycamore and a 11” block of walnut (see photo). The saw and blades handled it nicely (3/4”, Flexback 2 TPI blades).

Allow a couple weeks or even a bit more for delivery. I liked them enough I just ordered another hundred dollars worth to insure back up for the Grizzly and the little PM. I should be set for a while and I’m looking forward to seeing how full 1” blades perform.

I built a sled for the unit to handle up to five foot logs. It slides well and has built in clamps for ease of locking it to the saw (they work as good as I hoped).

I will be installing folding, telescoping legs so I don’t have to use the roller stands, and still be able to store the sled. Too, the temp hold downs work well, but the permanent ones will work far better. They are an idea stolen from the Little Ripper. It would require two Little Grippers and run about a grand, so I went this route (made my own).

It’s hard to see in the photo of the base leaning against the saw, but the two pieces coming off the base at 90 degrees have six inch F clamps permanently embedded in them. When you lay the bed on the saw, you only have to reach over and tighten the one in front and the one in the back and they hold the base rock solid. This makes it easy to move for cuts.

Like the Little Gripper, the base will have saw toothed angle iron on which to rest the log. They are spaced at 3/8” to aid moving both ends evenly.

#12 posted 03-06-2021 02:29 AM

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

#13 posted 03-06-2021 05:16 AM

Comments FWIW -

1- Not offended, no need to apologize. Think a review should be review of overall tool performance. My preferred reviews are after owner has used the tool for 6 months, and gained a well rounded opinion. Even if the purchase/delivery journey was ‘exciting’.
Opinions vary, and that is beauty of forums. :)

At this point, your buying adventure should have been posted in blog thread.
But your new, and didn’t know.

2- Nothing to discuss about overcharge by a supplier. It is not right. We all understand the pain. Posting many paragraphs trying to explain is unnecessary, even if you feel a little better.
Remember we are spectators in this race, not cheerleaders. :)
IMHO – The ‘new guy’ response to this thread would have been less ‘suspicious’ or lacking empathy, if you had waited until the dispute process was complete; or at least until Grizzly sent the CYA email that no change was being made to purchase price.

3- Have found Grizzly to be honorable company.
They are not perfect. Have had my own share of back order hell, and wrong/incomplete orders shipped. But they always make good, when GRIZZLY made the mistake. Their technical staff handling warranty claims/parts are very responsive. Almost too fast to ship any parts needed, as they sent me wrong part more than once. :(

Mistakes by shipping company are different story, and can be a mess. If shipped FOB Grizzly, you own it once it leaves the Grizzly warehouse, even if you let Grizzly pick the shipping carrier. Hope you never learn, but Truck Freight Damage Insurance claim process takes weeks. Can take months if you don’t follow every step, and keep calling all the folks involved couple times a week to get it over goal line. Then you still might wait months for replacement due lack of inventory.
Point is: some errors are not Grizzly financial responsibility, and any order issue requires more patience than anyone desires to invest.

4- Buying large complex Industrial machinery is not like going to Walmart for consumer LCD TV, or BORG for Dewalt planer.
It requires more patience, time and energy; especially when things go wrong.
Buy enough large equipment, you will eventually have one (or more) undesirable/exciting experience.

Before retirement, spent millions every year buying hundreds of tools for new mfg operations. An error in purchase price is way too common. Doubt anyone could shock me with nightmare purchase story not already experienced.

Best Examples?

Had a small local air freight company in Asia moving tools between international customs terminal and regional airport. They ‘forget’ to close rear bay door and lost an unsecured pallet with top half of a machine. The remnant of smashed pallet was delivered via dump truck, as they used a front end loader to scrape it up off the farmers cattle pasture.

Never forget time we had container with one of kind $1.2M tool inside, fall off of cargo ship in Pacific Ocean during good weather. Same incident tossed container with Powermatic tools and Stanley Vidmar work stations for new pattern shop into ocean. Took 7 months to produce replacements and get them to factory.

5- Your Bank CC fraud department will resolve the source of error.
Get a case number, direct phone number, and call back daily.

Outcome may not be to your liking, but they will resolve the dispute. IME –
: If your printed sales price is not the final order confirmation sheet (and you missed something); then Grizzly wins.
: If you have valid printed order confirmation with lower purchase price, but actual email order confirmation has a different price; the bank has challenge getting to bottom of how this happened. High probability will not have to pay higher amount.
: If you have valid email order confirmation with lower purchase price, and this differs from CC charge; Bank will be on your side; and Grizzly instantly loses.

Last but not least:
I own the base model G0513. Bought it from original owners estate. Great saw. At ~9 years old it needed some bearings and new tires as part of normal maintenance. Positive it will run for many more years. Wished I had the beefier features on X2, but could not pass up the used deal. Like other G0513 owners, expect you will like it.

Best luck with new tool.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#14 posted 03-06-2021 02:02 PM

Fortunately/unfortunately (you be the judge) but I won’t buy Grizzly if only ‘cause it’s not available in Australia.

However having said that, I think there should be more reviews like this… though this review should not be rating the product… as many have said it’s not fair until you’ve used it… it should be a rant about the supplier and their CS.

It is through reviews like this that us consumers become aware of the supplier… as opposed to the product. Crap products can seem reasonable/palatable with good CS while great products are a bucket-of-shit if you get a slack vendor. Coming back and saying sorry does not cut the mustard with me… They should be curteous and helpfull from the get-go (assuming the customer is similar) rather than curtail to peer pressure when their attitude is disclosed to other potential customers. There are a few local vendors, of great products, that I would not urinate on if they were on fire and to my detriment, may fork out a few more shekels or have to travel some distance to source my druthers elsewhere.
I am old and I dont need the BS that vendors tend to toss up at us in this modern disposable environment.

..... Last but not least:
I own the base model G0513. Bought it from original owners estate. Great saw. At ~9 years old it needed some bearings and new tires as part of normal maintenance…. Positive it will run for many more years…
- CaptainKlutz

It’s exactly for this reason that vendors/suppliers needs to be “scored/evaluated”... I’d hate to return to the same rsole under maintenance circumstances.

View paulLumberJock's profile

paulLumberJock

#15 posted 03-07-2021 03:11 AM

Geez guys, why are some of you jumping on this guy? He called Grizz 3 TIMES and got the run around.
That’s more than fair. He gave Griz time to work through the problem. He was extremely patient.
Some of you guys are just blindly fanboys of certain companies.

Yes, get the credit card company involved.

My experience with Grizzly? I got some clamps that were poorly manufactured. I had to redrill the holes myself and replace some parts. I got a sander and the recommended stand. The sander is fine, but the stand is too light and the sander walks all over the basement floor unless I stand on it or put extra weight on it..

I am sure some of their tools are good, but it seems like a crapshoot to me.

There’s no excuse why Diana from Griz didn’t take action on this immediately.