Wood-Slicer vs Timberwolf Bandsaw Blades

Review by Bob A in NJ posted 03-02-2021 02:00 PM 1284 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood-Slicer vs Timberwolf Bandsaw Blades No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been a big fan of Timberwolf bandsaw blades for years and recently did two resaw videos on my Youtube channel. The videos were cutting fresh cut maple logs on my Grizzly G0555X.

The Timberwolf’s “worked” but I had to apply a fair amount of force to get the wood through the 3/4” 2 tooth per inch blade.

I had heard about Wood-Slicer blades and decided to try one. Wow, what a difference!

The Wood-Slicer blades are from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. They are named appropriately for sure.

This blade cut through the oak and maple samples so fast I was in disbelief how well it worked.

Check out the newest video in my resaw video series.

Thanks

View pottz's profile

pottz

16199 posts in 2040 days

#1 posted 03-02-2021 05:45 PM

nice timing on this review because im getting ready to get a new blade and i was impressed by your video showing how fast that blade cut through that log.ill definitely check those out.thanks.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View bugradx2's profile

bugradx2

#2 posted 03-02-2021 06:26 PM

thanks for posting

-- The only thing not measured in my shop is time

View Rich1955's profile

Rich1955

#3 posted 03-03-2021 02:07 AM

I’ve been using the Wood slicer blades for about 3 years now and never looked back. They are great blades
and a good price!

-- Rich

View Drew's profile

Drew

#4 posted 03-03-2021 03:09 AM

I’ve never understood why people like Timberwolf blades so much.

-- TruCraftFurniture.com

View ward63's profile

ward63

#5 posted 03-03-2021 09:12 AM

I ve never understood why people like Timberwolf blades so much.

- Drew

Me too, I tried them…nothing special.
I always thought the Wood slicer blades were too expensive.
I learned a while back that Rockler sources from Spectrum Supply.
I’ve been using these for the past 10 years…
I’d put these up against a Wood slicer blade anytime but I think
the cuts would be the same.
I’m able to get at least 3 sharpenings out of each blade :-)
My Ryobi 10” normally runs a 0.025” 2” wide, 2tpi, stellite-tipped blade, and rips anything that I feed it. But at $ 150.00 a blade, I save it for exotics.

Just my .02 cents

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#6 posted 03-04-2021 11:45 PM

My first impression was that the Woodslicer was totally amazing. I found out that the ‘amazing’ was very short lived. I’m still trying to find a decent blade that will last far longer than the few weeks of the Woodslicer.

View Bob A in NJ's profile

Bob A in NJ

#7 posted 03-05-2021 12:47 PM

Here’s my summary:

Timberwolf blades are sharp out of the box and will get you to your destination. Like I said, they work well and I’ve always been impressed with them. On my first two videos on this topic, you can see me get good results albeit the going was a lot of effort to get the blade through the wet maple.

Then I tried the Wood Slicers through DRY oak and the speed difference was a night and day comparison. Then I tried the Woodslicer through the same wet maple as the first two videos. Again, the speed and effort difference was very noticeable. Check both or all three videos to see what I mean.

Price wise they both cost about $30 for a 105’ 3/4 ” blade.

BurlyBob above mentions the Woodslciers are in fact very fast and sharp out of the box but he was disappointed the sharpness dulled quickly. My blade is still too new to comment but I’ll be looking out for this warning.

-- Bob A in NJ

View ward63's profile

ward63

#8 posted 03-05-2021 02:01 PM

I’d suggest trying bi-metal or carbide-tipped if you want it to last but expect to pay 2~3 times more.
I tried the Lenox Woodmaster CT. It was great but too thick 0.044-1 1/2”/0.032-1” on my 10” bandsaw. Maybe having a 14” or larger bandsaw would be better if you can even use blades that wide.

I would like to find a 0.025” 1/2” or 3/4” at 72” carbide-tipped blade…...someday.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

#9 posted 03-07-2021 02:12 AM

I have been disappointed with the last three Timberwolfs. Each bought at different times, so not out of the same batch. They were all thumpers.

I’ve been buying blades from bandsawdirect and the price sure beats the insane prices others wanted for certain, common sizes, or my 17” Grizzly. Too, I love the way the 2 TPI flex back blades go through green wood, and even dry walnut. But there is the tooth mark thing.

That said, I might drop the nearly twice as big dime for one of these to see how they do for veneers, since it seems the tooth marks are minimal.

I ve never understood why people like Timberwolf blades so much.

- Drew