Heavy Duty Wall Storage

Review by EarlS posted 02-14-2021 01:58 PM 937 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Heavy Duty Wall Storage Heavy Duty Wall Storage No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been reorganizing my 1 stall garage shop to re-claim more floor space and generally get the tools I use most often organized so I can find them quickly and easily. One obvious way to do that is to install a wall storage system such as peg board or a slat wall system.

After looking at the pegboard system I decided it wasn’t heavy duty enough to handle the weight of the unifence and miter bars that I want to hang behind the table saw when they aren’t being used. In addition the unifence and the usual things to hang from hooks, I also wanted to be able to install a bracket to hold the 2-1/2” hose vacuum hose when it isn’t in use.

The local Menards had particle board slat wall panels but I was still concerned that the particle board wouldn’t hold up to the demands of hanging heavy items on the hooks.

In the process of looking for alternatives I came across the Gladiator GearWall system. It is made up of 12” wide PVC panels that are 3/4” thick with a tongue (top) and groove (bottom). The system is capable of holding 50#/sqft which easily accommodates the heavy unifence.

I bought the 3 packs of 4’ panels (2 pieces per pack). Installation was quick and straightforward. I used #9×2 screws to secure the panels to the studs, per the instructions. The instructions also recommended staggering the butt joint where 2 panels meet. That way the tongue and groove keeps the panels pulled tightly into the wall at the joints.

I also purchased a packaged accessory kit. The hooks are extremely heavy duty and the connectors are designed so that they won’t pop out of the slot when removing whatever was on the hook.

So why did I give it 4 stars and not 5? Cost. The 4’ panel packs run $55 each on Amazon and the hook assortment pack was $130. While I was willing to spend more to get a ready made, heavy duty wall storage system, I could have made something for considerably less cost. Convenience isn’t cheap.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

View Sark's profile

Sark

#1 posted 02-14-2021 03:53 PM

Thanks for the review, always interested in storage systems. A less costly system is to slap a 3/4” piece of plywood on the wall and then screw in whatever type of bracket, holder you may wish. In this case you would fabricate the holders, which can be as simple as a screw to hang a tool, or some purchased bracket.

View Keebler1's profile

Keebler1

#2 posted 02-14-2021 04:33 PM

I believe that is the similar to the panel I bought at home depot years ago. Only bought 1 panel and some hooks. Careful pullimg things off as I have had the hooks/peg come off

View Foghorn's profile

Foghorn

#3 posted 02-14-2021 04:42 PM

I have some similar panels in my shop that I bought at a garage accessories store. Very sturdy and have never had hooks or shelves come off. Pricey as you say though.

-- Darrel

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#4 posted 02-17-2021 10:44 PM

I have always like the look of that slat wall sistem. My complaint about those systems, and French cleat walls too for that matter, is that you wind up wasting so much of the area when you hang large items on the them. You wind up putting 30 or 40 feet of track or cleats on the wall and only really use < 10% of it for hangers. It is nice when you do need to move things around but my French cleat stayed mostly unchanged for the last 6+ years since I put it up . I just moved things around recently as part of a shop reorg.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#5 posted 02-18-2021 03:49 PM

For the heavy items that system is a good one, but I notice most of the items are really not heavy at all and could work on a pegboard. Anyway, it sure does look nice. Thanks!

-- Al,Midwest -To thine own self be true

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#6 posted 02-20-2021 03:20 AM

Al,

The unifence is a heavy and unwieldy and the hooks are doing a good job of holding it. I’m planning to install the shelf as well so I can put several heavy boxes on it rather than taking up space in a cabinet. As Nathan mentioned, there is a lot of wasted space behind things. Still, I’d rather hang things like levels, saws, and such than pile them up in a drawer or cabinet.