E Safford plough plane

Review by Bob Gnann posted 02-06-2021 04:11 PM 1325 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
E Safford plough plane E Safford plough plane E Safford plough plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

I hope I am posting this in the proper place. My first post on this site. I was lucky enough to find this beautiful plough plane at an estate sale yesterday. The makers mark is E Safford. The best I can come up with is his name was Elias Safford and he was a plane maker in Albany NY circa 1813 – 1820. That makes this plane 200 years old ( ! – ?). It’s in beautiful shape everything, including the thumb screw depth mechanism, functions nicely.
Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

View LeftyBayside's profile

LeftyBayside

#1 posted 02-08-2021 02:30 AM

that is a beautiful plough plane. hope it works well for you and you enjoy it.

-- Lefty

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#2 posted 02-08-2021 11:41 AM

Try posting it in the forum “Hand planes of your dreams” But I do the the hand plane experts will find your post anyway. Lucky you!

-- Petey

#3 posted 02-08-2021 10:56 PM

It said that forum was closed. I did post on forums under the header Safford Plough Plane. Haven’t gotten much feedback.
Thanks Petey.

View Bstrom's profile

Bstrom

#4 posted 02-08-2021 11:05 PM

There’s one of these in a local vintage shop – how do you use them? Are they especially valuable?

-- Bstrom

#5 posted 02-08-2021 11:39 PM

Paul Sellers videos on YT explain how to use them better that I could try to in words. Value hard to pin down. I’ve seen similar plough plans at about 50 dollars on the resale sites. But not necessarily the same maker or age. Or similar condition. Honestly I’m still trying to get a handle on the value of it.

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#6 posted 02-08-2021 11:47 PM

You want
Hand planes of your dreams part 2, sharper than ever.

Nice plow. I have an early American plow also. Fun tool to use

-- I intended to be a woodworker, but turned into a tool and lumber collector.

#7 posted 02-08-2021 11:49 PM

Thanks Ocelot!

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#8 posted 02-09-2021 02:18 PM

Nice plane, I would put it to use since that’s why it was made. Some might tell you to put it on a shelf but I think you should make some history with it. Just my two cents here. We would love to see how it works so maybe you can put it through it’s paces and show some results. I have no doubts that it will produce some fine work! Thanks for posting your beautiful tool.

-- "It is the job of the woodworker to hide his mistakes and keep a tight set of lips about them!"--Chuck

#9 posted 02-09-2021 10:42 PM

It only has the one iron with it. (I actually went back to the sale to look for others but couldn’t find any.). 1/2 ” width.
So yes I will try it out if nothing else than to see what it can do. But I will be careful not to damage it.