Winning the Soldering War

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 02-03-2021 11:35 AM 1385 views 0 times favorited 71 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Winning the Soldering War Winning the Soldering War Winning the Soldering War Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boy and Girls,

I wrote a review about the Ryobi Soldering Iron less than 12 months ago.

Contrary to my religious beliefs, I performed a mortal sin by breaking one of my commandments. I actually considered cost into the equation when deciding on purchasing the Iron. I will defend my insanity on the grounds that I seldom solder (or is it seldom sober) and did not consider I would need the added features of the Station compared to the Iron… actually I can’t remember if the Station was available and on-show at that time.

In the original review, I made reference to my prowess towards soldering and while it hasn’t changed, my needs and expectations have.

Nevertheless, I didn’t break one of my other commandments which refers to NOT reading. I definitely did not RTFM, but I did see a video that explained to me why I kept melting the insulation cover on small gauge wires. Hell RTFMing would have helped me bugger all, as both the copies of the Iron and Station manuals I now posses were the same copy (the Station)… shit I would have thought I’d already had the best.

It was not my bad technique or holding the tip too close to the insulating cover. The video hinted at the problem probably due to a way too high iron temperature. It had a working temperature in the range of 480°C to 480°C (or off – 0°C, though a tad higher in °F).

After self-flagellation and a number of Mea culpas for my sinning, headed down to make Mr. Bunnings a few shekels richer and me lumbered with a redundant Ryobi cordless Soldering Iron by purchasing the Station.

Plugged in the battery and cranked the dial up to full speed (480°C) and waited for the smoke. Holly smoke, no smoke… aha, flat battery… plugged in a fully charged battery and after about 10 minutes still no smoke. Touched the iron… no burnies(?) Then I noted there was no green light (?)... no any light,

Looked for a switch… no switch (?). Maybe it’s a disconnected LED?
OK, last resort, RTFM. Looks like the manual was LBD friendly… no text, just Chinese translated sketches

Finally deducted that the temperature control knob was a push toggle-switch… go figure… those clever Chinese.

Pushed the knob, red light turned on,

still no smoke, but burnies when I touched the tip (OUCH!)... after 1:06 minutes the light turned green,

heralding the coming of temperature…

Wet the sponge and touched the tip…. hisssssssssssss!

no wet t-shirt, but looks like it’s working. Turned it off, waited till the tip was touch cold… BTW, I have several blisters to prove it cools down slowly.
Turned it up to its lowest speed (200°C)… tipped the sponge… hisss! Not as big as at 480°C hiss and without a thermometer the length of the hiss was my temperature guage. My C19 thermometer,

was not a good indicator… and NO!... its not a rectal thermometer!

I’m not going to do a performance write up as I have covered it’s top range in the other review and will assume at the lower temperature it will not melt the insulation while still melt the solder.

It needed a home and as it’s footprint was larger than the original Iron,

did some renovations,

and gave it a new home,

As the Station was parked on an end, I used one off the tips to CA glue some magnets into the bit holders,

so they wont fall out when up ended, and temporarily parked the sponge as it also had the propensity to succumb to gravity,

In conclusion:-

If you don’t solder thin wire and/or need the lower temperature, stick with the mono-speed Iron… and to all the hundreds of thousands of LJ members that need variable speed and went out and purchased the Iron influenced by my previous review, I apologise.
Unfortunately still no video for my hard-of-reading compadres… sorry, apology #2!

Keep safe jocks... and your jocks safe!

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#1 posted 02-03-2021 05:57 PM

I hadn’t realized…
1 that you soldered… Nor
2 that such a thing exists

I have a friend who is an electronic technician who works in the mining industry. He has told of being at a mine site with no power soldering with a propane iron, which didn’t sound like fun, but I have to dial him right now and tell him about this thing. Of course he probably has one by now cause that story was a few years ago.

Thanks

-- I intended to be a woodworker, but turned into a tool and lumber collector.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#2 posted 02-03-2021 07:54 PM

Everyone will need a variable temperature iron some day when working with small wires and electronics 8^)

Gone are the days when a soldering iron was just a relabeled wood burning tool.

Glad you could translate the hieroglyphics 8^)

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#3 posted 02-03-2021 08:58 PM

Well I sent my friend a link to the thing and he said he didn’t have one. That’s about it.

-- I intended to be a woodworker, but turned into a tool and lumber collector.

#4 posted 02-03-2021 09:51 PM

Well I sent my friend a link to the thing and he said he didn t have one. That s about it.

- Ocelot

There are probably thousands of different brands of the same out there. I have the Ryobi christmass tree

and a swag of batteries which kind of channeled me to this particular brand… and after a few vinos and closed eyes their colour could be mistaken for faded Fe$tool.

Hope he can make use of the info… It’s precisely your example that makes review postings worth while… Thanks for passing the knowledge on.

View pottz's profile

pottz

16899 posts in 2068 days

#5 posted 02-03-2021 11:54 PM

all that green is making me queasy duckie.dont need a fancy soldering gun but a good wood burning tool may be in the future.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#6 posted 02-04-2021 03:08 AM

- pottz

Pottz that isn’t Festool green…

-- Desert_Woodworker

View pottz's profile

pottz

16899 posts in 2068 days

#7 posted 02-04-2021 03:12 AM

- pottz

Pottz that isn t Festool green…

- Desert_Woodworker

worse it’s ryobi green-lol.

#8 posted 02-04-2021 03:32 AM

- pottz

Pottz that isn t Festool green…

- Desert Woodworker

worse it s ryobi green-lol.

- pottz

The only green I can see is a couple of old codgers,

green with envy!

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#9 posted 02-04-2021 03:43 AM

Say what you want- Festool +1, Pottz has the Mirka +1 and now I see Ryobi in piss green- not judging just would like to know why you went Ryobi?

-- Desert_Woodworker

View Madmark2's profile

Madmark2

#10 posted 02-04-2021 04:05 AM

Hey! Is this HOT!? (presses cold soldering iron tip on your arm …)

We soldered a length of buss wire to the end of the solder roll. Helper couldn’t figure out why solder wouldn’t melt.

Learned not to wipe soldering iron tip on jeans the day I found a small rip …

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#11 posted 02-04-2021 04:23 AM

I have been trying to solder wood for years still haven’t been able to master it
Burnt my fingers a few times though does that count?

Something the heat things up a bit!

I am thinking they are modified solder stations!

Might have to see what Colin has made

-- Regards Rob

#12 posted 02-04-2021 04:48 AM

- Desert Woodworker

I’ve go a Mirka too, but I don’t want to….

get into a pissing contest! Always wondered why Mirka was yellow…

Why Ryobi? Because they make a mean electric zero-turn...

for flashers!

Hey! Is this HOT!? (presses cold soldering iron tip on your arm …)
- Madmark2

I’ve learnt the hard way Mm2... you press it against your forehead… it still hurts like shit, but you can’t see the blisters if you keep avoiding mirrors and selfies.

I have been trying to solder wood for years still haven t been able to master it
- robscastle

Hammer some nails close together and join the dots…

... Burnt my fingers a few times though does that count?....
- robscastle

to 10 if all fingers are there… unless you use one hand as a pointer.. then only 1/2 the count!

Something the heat things up a bit!
....
- robscastle

Did your latest walkabouts encompass WA?

View mel52's profile

mel52

2061 posts in 1348 days

#13 posted 02-04-2021 06:57 AM

Some of the best reading ever on this forum. Laughed all the way through it. I thought I was the only one to touch the tip to see if it was cool. Many blisters over the years to prove it wasn’t. Mel

-- MEL, Kansas

#14 posted 02-04-2021 07:30 AM

Some of the best reading ever on this forum. Laughed all the way through it. I thought I was the only one to touch the tip to see if it was cool. Many blisters over the years to prove it wasn t. Mel

- mel52

Thanks ’52... when this bloody C19 decides to roll over and die, permitting travel to squander our lives in idle pursuit of meaningless pleasures, we’ll have to get together and compare soldering scars over a cold red vino and warm beer.

PS. AT least with cordless you don’t risk hair-raising electrocution.

View Douglas!'s profile