First Impressions of Harvey Alpha HW110S-52P

Review by LowShoe posted 01-19-2021 01:59 PM 5730 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First Impressions of Harvey Alpha HW110S-52P First Impressions of Harvey Alpha HW110S-52P First Impressions of Harvey Alpha HW110S-52P Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well the new Alpha HW110S-52P arrived on Friday and as usual “some assembly required.” I started the assembly on Saturday and completed it today (1/18). It didn’t that whole time as I had other commitments in between. First impressions are good. This thing is a beast. Shipping weight was 720 pounds and was delivered on a lift truck vehicle. The actual weight of the saw is over 500 pounds.

After getting it assembled I ran through the set ups.

Fit between main table and cast wings excellent. A little adjustment but was able to adjust the coplaner on the tables with no shimming. The extension tables are phenolic and appear to be good quality. I had one problem with the legs. One of the legs had the top angle iron flipped 90 degrees. I had to drill out the hole to make the on fit. Poor quality control here because it is very obvious. The other thing that was not in the bolts bag was three m8-1.25 to attach the extension table to the cast iron wing. Quick trip to hardware store and problem was resolved.

I popped on the sawblade and checked run out. It was 0.003. Pretty darn good. Same at 45 degree too. This was good news. 90 and 45 stops were dead on with my Wixley angle gauge.

The T-square needed a few adjustments that took about 5 minutes. I also had to adjust the guides and once they were adjusted the T-Square glides smoothly and lock in well. No comments on the Hi-Low euro fence at this time. The fence appears to be plent solid and it doesn’t move when locked in.

The Miter is impressive. It has a t-track with an extension. It also has a flip stop with micro adjuster. I check the 90 and 45 datent stops and they were right on the money. Best miter that I have used and I can see why they charge so much for this as a stand alone.

Don’t know about dust collection since I have to ge a longer hose. It is all hooked up but not sure how well it works at this point.

I made a couple of cross cuts and a couple of rips and it seemed to work well.

Cons: The mobility kit was supposed to be on the shipment but was missed. It was shipped out on Friday. The other two things were already mentioned. The cord is short, about 5 feet. I had to fabricate an extension cord to operate.

I’ll Update this post in a couple of weeks since I have two upcoming projects.

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#1 posted 01-19-2021 04:20 PM

Nice looking rig. Looking forward to your future comments.

-- A bad day woodworking is still better than a good day working.

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 01-20-2021 09:16 PM

Sure is a beautiful saw, congratulations.

View Mike_in_STL's profile

Mike_in_STL

#3 posted 01-20-2021 10:40 PM

You’re gonna LOVE it. It’s fundamentally the same saw as my Laguna Platinum Dovetail saw. Harvey built the Laguna. I’ve had mine since June of ‘19. If you have questions, let me know.

-- Sawdust makes me whole --Mike in STL

#4 posted 01-21-2021 12:50 AM

—Sawdust makes me whole—Mike in STL

Thanks MikeinSTL I will keep that in mind. Did you get the outfeed table with yours? If you did can you send some pics.

This is my first (and hopefully last) brand new table saw that I have purchased so this is a big investment. I have only made some test cuts. Hopefully this weekend I will get to really try it out. I have about 800 ft of material to rip. I’m installing some tile floors and I’m replacing all the crappy builder’s trim with a three part craftsman style which is all custom cut. Now that the saw is set up I also have three other projects right behind the flooring project. Those projects will be more of why I bought the saw in the first place. Two night stands and two different tables ( I count the night stands as one project).

View Mike_in_STL's profile

Mike_in_STL

#5 posted 01-21-2021 04:32 PM

@Mark
I did not get the outfeed table. I have an old kitchen table that I converted to an assembly, outfeed table long ago and the Laguna saw on the Bora mobile base sits just a touch higher than it.

This picture is right after I setup the Laguna and before I got the mobile base. You can see the converted table on the left. The picture has a lot over exposure.

-- Sawdust makes me whole --Mike in STL

View bobfromsanluis's profile

bobfromsanluis

#6 posted 01-25-2021 04:05 AM

I’m curious about the overhead dust collection set up, it looks like it is all rigid piping- I didn’t notice any flex hose, will that be a problem if cutting something fairly thick?

#7 posted 01-26-2021 12:00 AM

bobfromsanluis

The overhead dust collector has a solid “U” shaped pipe. It has two hoses – one on top and one on the bottom. The top one is connected to the blade guard and the bottom one is connected to a t connection on the bottom of the cabinet. The blade guard has a built in riving knife. When you have to get in tighter the blade guard comes off and they have a separate riving knife. The smallest rip cut with the blade guard is about 1-1/2”. I ripped about 30 boards this weekend for some custom craftsman baseboard. The saw worked well. The overhead dust collection seems to have a lot of blow by on the dust collector. The cabinet dust collection appears to be fairly good.

View JPin's profile

JPin

#8 posted 02-06-2021 02:50 AM

Great review! I am looking at the ALPHA HW110LC-36P. My shop isn’t big enough for the one you have. Lol!

-- JP from California

View geggry's profile

geggry

#9 posted 02-07-2021 06:01 PM

Hello JP,

I bought the Alpha HW110LC-36P back in Nov 20, I was about to buy the the C200-30 but I wanted to get something a little better than that. I have 110V in my garage so I only had two choices in Harvey and the Alpha was only about $300 more so I decided on that. Harvey was not running any sales so I emailed them and got quick replies and they gave me a good price. So I went ahead and spent about $1700 total for the Saw, Base, and Zero clearance. I want the extra cast iron extension wing but that will be later.

I really do like this saw!! I thought that I would be having some breaker issues but all of my breakers are 20 AMP, this saw is rated at 16 AMPs. I had to change out a couple of wall outlets to to NEMA plugs, but I have been running a 7 AMP dust collector and this saw at the same time with no issue. Every piece is heavy and solid, sometimes taking two people, especially on the front and rear rails. The blade was square with the table out of the box, the fence was out of square just a bit; no problem. The only thing I can think of to say bad is the aluminum part of the fence slips on the back end of weight is applied to it. You have to like lean on it good though but it will slip. Dust collection is good; I have completed 3 projects and there is little dust on the inside of the cabinet.

I looked at other well known saws and had been looking for about 6 months and somewhere on Lumberjocks I read someone posting about Harvey saws. I went to their website and was very impressed with the build and quality of their products. In actuality, no regrets. Just wish I had 220V but that is coming. I want their bandsaw.

I think you will enjoy the model saw.

-- Do all things as unto God, and not as unto men.

View JPin's profile

JPin

#10 posted 02-07-2021 11:18 PM

Hello JP,

I think you will enjoy the model saw.

- geggry

Hi Geggry,

Thanks for the information!

I have been looking for about 6 months too. I just found the Harvey brand about a week ago. I am very impressed with their products. They look well built to last a long time.

A table saw with a 31” deep table is hard to find. Every brand I looked at had 27” tops. I was going to buy a Laguna Fusion 2 but realized the distance from front edge to center of blade was shorter than other table saws and even shorter than the Harvey. Harvey sold me with the size of the top.

I am planning on installing 230V in my shop next week, so I will be ready for delivery.

I sent Harvey an email on Friday about pricing and availability. Hope to hear back from them tomorrow.

Thanks,

-- JP from California

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#11 posted 02-12-2021 11:49 AM

after you have used it for awhile, give us an update. I’ve been looking at the harvey saws for a bit now, and just haven’t bitten the bullet yet.

View Bobsboxes's profile

Bobsboxes

#12 posted 02-12-2021 01:49 PM

Shiny new tool, happy days. Thanks for the review.

-- Bob in Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View RicholasCage's profile

RicholasCage

#13 posted 04-15-2021 02:38 AM

Thanks for the great review! Mine arrives tomorrow and I’m pumped about it. Now that you’re into it about 3 months, any updates to your thoughts on the saw?

View Dover2010's profile

Dover2010

#14 posted 05-12-2021 08:42 PM

I ordered an ALPHA HW110S-36P and it arrived last week. I have a couple of questions for the original review poster (or anyone who has an ALPHA HW110S).

1. Does the motor have some sort of braking mechanism? When I shut off the saw, the motor winds down for about 2 seconds and then there’s a brief shudder/vibration and then the blade comes to a stop a second or 2 later. Just wondering if this behavior is normal.

2. When installed between the front and rear rails, the depth of phenolic table extension appears to be 1/8”-3/16” less than that of the cast iron table; leaving a gap between the extension and the rear rail. Has anyone else had this issue? I’ll probably end up using additional washers to make up the difference.

#15 posted 05-12-2021 09:20 PM

I did not have those issues on my machine. On the first item if you have removed all packaging materials then I would contact the support.