Another Bright shop equipment…

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 01-15-2021 09:34 AM 1156 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another Bright shop equipment… Another Bright shop equipment… Another Bright shop equipment… Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

There have been a number of illuminating reviews made recently and I thought I’d shed some light on this workshop addition.

Many of us possess some bargain basement cordless 18V Ryobi tools

and if they are in anyway operational, you will have at least one battery and if you are not a total penny pincher, may even own a few extra ones,

(just don’t leave on the charger… they charge and then run down).

If you happen to own a 18V Ryobi battery, read on… If you don’t, may I suggest you leave.

If you later decide to buy a battery, I give you full permission to come back and read the rest of this article.

Rated at 900 lumens (per bar) it sounds totally poopsie, however, I was amazed at how bright it turned out to be… especially when I switched it on.
Placed inside a cabinet, I have to put on sunglasses and sometimes even close one eye while shutting the other… takes practice but I’m mastering it.

It has a “split” bar that can be contorted into shapes that my body has difficulty in maintaining

and can be individually activated… just look and be astounded by the gallery photos.

Having sent the non Ryobi battery owners packing, I must self flagellate after discovering the error of my way… ”Come back… come back.”… ah, the plea on deaf ears…

The light has a AC inlet that permits activation by a power cord (no VISA slot yet).

and it actually works when you turn the power switch on… Alexa light up my life (name of the power point)!

Those smarties at Ryobi incorporated a lockout mechanism that prevents the use of a battery when plugged into the power point,

I reckon this is so they can sell you a separate battery charger… Those Japs think of everything…
Hey PCers that’s a compliment to our red dot buddies… no, not the forehead, red dot Indians… no, not Custer’s protagonist Crazy horse… no, not having a go at our equine transport… talking about Nippon, let’s not infuriate our crab loving animal activists…shit, how deep a hole can this duck dig?.. all the way down to ChinaYIKES!

For all it’s worth I eavesdropped into a conversation a little old lady had about a Chrissy present and intrusively I recommended this light as she mentioned her henpecked half, owned a 18V Ryobi… Begrudgingly the Bunning’s staffer was coaxed into isolating a battery and performing a demo… with the light… just plugged in (DOH). There were a few onlookers, within questionable social distancing proximity, that were equally impressed and I’m sure Mr. Bunnings made a few more shekels from Ryobi sales that day.

Yes Mr. Harvey, I have shares in Bunnings… and you don’t!
(I confess… a montage of Aussie ads that makes me chuckle after a cask or two of vino…)

Keep your jocks free of C19, nothing worse than social distancing of a woodie.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#1 posted 01-15-2021 11:03 AM

-- Regards Rob

#2 posted 01-15-2021 10:38 PM

- robscastle

Reminded me about a statement a friend made over 35 years ago before political correctness became a mortal sin.

He said, ”There are more bloody Italians here in Melbourne than the whole of world!”

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#3 posted 01-16-2021 03:28 PM

Hey Duck, this is a interesting light. This could be used on that occassion when you need a bright light right in front of you. I already have batteries so whats another tool, right? Thanks for the review.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#4 posted 01-16-2021 09:57 PM

... This could be used on that occassion when you need a bright light right in front of you….
- doubleDD
Zachary, that’s what I tend to use it for… and cabinets… and the dog house on cold winter nights (not for warmth but to watch me shiver).

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#5 posted 01-16-2021 11:53 PM

Best part is the color doesn’t clash with your Festools… ; )

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

View moke's profile

moke

#6 posted 01-21-2021 05:17 PM

Hey Duckie…
I literally got mine in the post on Monday. I belong to a little club of “grillers”...now that might mean something different in Aus, so I mean BBQ. It’s almost too bright! It will be an awesome addition. I have had grill lights, but nothing 950 lumens or one that stands on it’s own and so tall. The Merican’ version does not have the ac option, it’s strictly battery. It looks awesome…soon as we break into number above freezing, I’m going to try it.

-- Mike

#7 posted 01-21-2021 10:27 PM

Hey Duckie…
... The Merican version does not have the ac option, it s strictly battery…
- moke

That may be a blessing in disguise as you won’t be tempted to use an extension cord that could potentially cause havoc round a BBQ by tripping over it and spilling your beer. I’ve never used the AC (other than demo purposes) as the batteries last and last and last and lastly… last!
The bonus is in using existing Ryobi batteries…

Not surprised the Yankee version is missing enhancements as a lot of funds were channeled into the wall.
Over a beer (and vino for me),Joe promissed me he will redirect 31.8% of the Wall saving expense into developing/enhancing Ryobi in the US of A.

PS. Just hope your imperial 900 lumens is as bright as out metric 900 lumens!

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#8 posted 01-21-2021 10:36 PM

Looks like a great thing to take with you when you have to crawl under the house.

-- I intended to be a woodworker, but turned into a tool and lumber collector.

#9 posted 01-21-2021 10:43 PM

- Ocelot

I guess there are many uses other than a battery storage… though the 4 foot clearance is pushing it with me crawling under the house.

My main intent is to highlight to Ryobi owners (that haven’t had an in shop demo) of it’s great illumination… I’ve found this light better than the other Ryobi “lights”... and is probably not the best option if you haven’t a collection of Ryobi batteries.

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#10 posted 01-21-2021 10:55 PM

i HATE crawling under the house. I have some wiring that needs done and too cheap to hire an electrician since I’m an electrical engineer anyway and it’s just one connection at the box and wire out to the shed we use for a school room, which we can’t use now because it’s too cold and can’t run a heater on the 150’ extension cord.

Yeah, so it’s an excuse to buy some lights so the school teacher (wife) will be happified…

But if you don’t mind dragging a wire, HF has a 7200 lumen LED jobber that will turn night into day (I’ve heard).

-- I intended to be a woodworker, but turned into a tool and lumber collector.

#11 posted 01-22-2021 02:17 AM

... But if you don t mind dragging a wire, HF has a 7200 lumen LED jobber that will turn night into day (I ve heard).
- Ocelot

I have enough trouble dragging myself, let alone meters of cord.

I got a couple of those type (though I think they are packaged as 7200 lumens with 2 lights),

nevertheless I hate the cords… Rigged them out with inline switches so I can cut out the glare when not using, however, I now Alexa” control them by a smart plug at the dangerous end.

This review is aimed at those that have poo-pooed and totally ignored them while browsing through our Bunnings.
Took me a moment of
vino weakness* before purchasing.