New little belt sander in the shop

Review by fivecodys posted 01-08-2021 09:36 PM 1109 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New little belt sander in the shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My son got me this little guy for Christmas.

I have only used for a few hours since I received it so my review is based on that limited use.
The 1” wide belt works real well for small parts. My Ridgid EB4424 is a little rough on small parts.
This unit was very easy to set up. Maybe 5 minutes to set up and square the tables.
The tables are cheap light metal but then again, just for small parts so will probably be ok.
I like the 5” disk for small parts as well.
It’s pretty much plastic throughout and I don’t imagine it would last very long in a busy production setting but in my small shop with limited use it should be fine.
You get what you pay for, right?
I made a quick little adapter to hook up to my DC system. It works ok.
So in a nut shell, not a bad little unit for limited light duty use.

I will amend this post after I get a few months of use under my belt (pun intended).

-- A bad day woodworking is still better than a good day working.

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#1 posted 01-09-2021 12:15 AM

nice little sander i could use something like that in my shop for small pieces.thanks for the review.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View Andybb's profile (online now)

Andybb

#2 posted 01-09-2021 12:55 AM

Yes. I “need” one also!! Thanks.

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View Rich1955's profile

Rich1955

#3 posted 01-09-2021 03:08 PM

I recently purchased a Grizzly belt/disc sander for the same reason, small parts on my regular belt sander doesn’t
work well. The only difference I can see is the Grizzly is all metal & quite heavy. Thanks for the review,

-- Rich

#4 posted 01-09-2021 03:45 PM

Good point on the small parts. I find holding and controlling small parts against a 6×48 belt sander is a sure fire method to reduce one’s chances of being identified in the FBI fingerprint data base…but despite that advantage, is otherwise distinctly unpleasant.
There are occasions where something like this would be very useful in my shop….Not to be used often, but likely much appreciated when needed. Thanks for the review! Look forward to the updates.

#5 posted 01-09-2021 05:31 PM

I recently purchased a Grizzly belt/disc sander for the same reason, small parts on my regular belt sander doesn t

- Rich1955

after seeing this i started looking and im thinking the grizzly for the reason metal not plastic,how has your performed so far,would you buy it again ?

View Rich1955's profile

Rich1955

#6 posted 01-09-2021 09:47 PM

- Rich1955

- pottz . I only had it for about 2 months, but so far I like it. It’s quiet and no vibration. It is heavy so I mounted it on a stand. I bought it because I started making wooden trucks and my regular belt sander was a little to aggressive. The only problem I have is it has 2 separate dust ports, one for the belt and one for the disc, but I’ll make something to combine the two. As for your question, Yes I would buy it again.

-- Rich

View EllenWoodHead's profile

EllenWoodHead

#7 posted 01-09-2021 11:18 PM

These little belt sanders also make good knife sharpeners. I have a more heavy-duty 1” belt sander that I use to keep my kitchen knives razor-sharp. I suppose you could maintain any straight edge, like a chisel or plane blade, but I prefer to sharpen them on waterstones with a honing guide.

The Patron Saint of Knives uses several machines, but a single belt sander with an assortment of belts, including a leather strop, does the job just fine.

-- "wood" and "good" rhyme, but not "food"

#8 posted 01-09-2021 11:46 PM

- Rich1955

- pottz . I only had it for about 2 months, but so far I like it. It s quiet and no vibration. It is heavy so I mounted it on a stand. I bought it because I started making wooden trucks and my regular belt sander was a little to aggressive. The only problem I have is it has 2 separate dust ports, one for the belt and one for the disc, but I ll make something to combine the two. As for your question, Yes I would buy it again.

- Rich1955

yeah the two seperate dust ports is pretty standard my big delta is the same way,but good too hear,im probably gonna go with the griz,i like steel over plastic any day.thanks man.
\.

#9 posted 01-09-2021 11:57 PM

06/22/2020 06:04 PM
Love it. Only thing I’ve found wrong is it shocks me at times.

#10 posted 01-10-2021 12:21 AM

#12 posted 01-10-2021 12:56 AM

- pottz

Challenge accepted.. ; )

- RCCinNC

game on meet me at “the show goes on” if you got the [email protected]*#S !!!

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#13 posted 01-10-2021 08:30 AM

Thanks for the review fiver...

What do you guys mean all metal? Do you mean that the belt cover is cast iron… just kidding… pressed metal?

I have what seems like the same dog with different legs,

The comments got me curious and had me going down to the workshop and hitting it with a hammer (small one) to hear a clink or a clunk… Well my curiosity made me realise it was easier to swing than a cat, however, it has served the purpose it was bought for.

View Foghorn's profile

Foghorn

#14 posted 01-10-2021 05:42 PM

Looks like a nice little sander. They do come in handy. I have the 1” x 42” Kalamazoo made in USA. Works great for small parts and excels at sharpening knives with the rear platen removed to give you a “loose” belt. Very basic but rock solid. Pricey though.

-- Darrel