Rubio Monocoat Review

Review by Andybb posted 01-04-2021 07:44 PM 1413 views 3 times favorited 40 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rubio Monocoat Review Rubio Monocoat Review Rubio Monocoat Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I posted a project that turned into a kind of a review about Rubio Monocoat so I am just going to post that part of it here as a review. It comes in colors. I used Pure (clear).

so the rubio do you like it,or shall i say will you use it again.been thinking of trying it,or some of the hard wax finishes many have been talking about.

- pottz

Yes, I like it. As you probably know, the other popular wax finish is Osmo which has a little more sheen to it and is more labor intensive. The Rubio was done in just a few minutes. It truly is “monocoat”. I tried a second coat on my practice piece and didn’t see much difference. All of the other reviews said the Rubio is the most water resistant even with only one coat. First time using the wax finishes. I opted for the Rubio this time. It has a really nice feel to it. Like I said, it feels and looks like natural wood. Watch this Blacktail vid. It’s the method I followed. He switched from Osmo to Rubio.

I used a white Scotch pad to apply it and then a clean one to buff it the next evening. Not sure where I heard it but the mantra I used while wiping it was “you can never wipe too much off”. It was like a baby’s butt in the morning.

The dual-action sander I bought works like a buffer when in turbo mode. I put it on it s slowest speed when applying lest it gets thrown everywhere. Only wait for about 5 or 10 minutes before you start wiping where you first started and work like a mad man and wipe the livin s**t out of it. “you can t wipe off too much”. Don t know the chemistry behind it but it feels unlike stain or oil base or paint. It seems to bond chemically with the wood. The can actually says to only wait a few minutes before starting to wipe which is probably better now that I think about it. Just an old habit thinking it needed to soak in. It doesn t. It seems to react with the wood and the wiping does the rest. You re literally trying to wipe it off so have plenty of rags handy. I let that dry for a day or two, just cuz I have a regular job then used a clean white scotch pad on the fast turbo setting to “buff” it. I hesitate to call it buffing since I m not sure it was any smoother. If you re not looking for a glossy look this stuff is great. It really feels like you re touching bare silky smooth wood sanded to 400 but you only sanded to 180, plus it s the easiest finish I ve ever applied. Can you tell I like it? :-) It won t replace the other stuff but it certainly is another weapon in the arsenal. Very unique product.

This 2 part can was $60. I bought 2 but only used 1 putting 1 coat on each side of the table 46×72 (beer can for scale) and i might have put it on too thick. The yellow plastic blade is the best tool cuz its not really soaking in like you re used to.

Test application

A bunch of vids on applying Rubio.

Not sure about shelf life. Probably like paint or oil base etc in a can.

I grabbed a CPO factory refurbished 75-6n for $179 a few weeks ago. Another awesome tool.

As a test, 2-3 hours ago I put a glass with a wet bottom on the test piece I did about a week ago. I picked up the glass and wiped it with a paper towel. You could barely see the ring of moisture but I could have sworn it looked like it was fading. I went in the house to get my phone to take a picture (30 seconds max) and when I got back I couldn t see the ring.

Glass on walnut, wet ring before wiping, 30 secs after wiping

Just an FYI – the glossy version of a wax finish is Osmo. The same guy who did the Rubio video applying Osmo. I ll probably give that a try next time just to see how it does and add it to the arsenal.

View pottz's profile

pottz

13892 posts in 1961 days

#1 posted 01-04-2021 11:41 PM

you said it doesn’t soak in so does it add richness to the wood like an oil finish,or can you use an oil first then the rubio ?

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#2 posted 01-05-2021 12:46 AM

Don’t think you’d want to put anything under the Rubio, but you could call and ask.

But yes, I think it might be an even richer look and color. It’s just that it doesn’t look wet like if you wipe mineral spirits on it or use oil. I think Woodcraft had sample sizes.

Trial sizes available, but don’t see the accelerator.

Apparently, it is a plant-based “oil” finish. Good explanation below.

RUBIO MONOCOAT NOW AT YOUR SEATTLE WOODCRAFT
Woodcraft Seattle Posted on Oct 17, 2018 9:00 PM
Comments (0)
We are proud to announce that we have added Rubio Monocoat to our family of fine finishes! This amazing furniture and floor finish comes in a variety of colors (including a natural oil tone) and is a true single coat finish and stain all in one. Rubio Monocoat all-natural oil wood finishes are plant-based, VOC-free and completely non-toxic oil finishes of extraordinary durability. Available in clear finish and more than 30 color finishes, all apply evenly in a single coating. All Monocoat finishes are easily maintained, and provide a subtle lustre that reveals and complements, rather than covers, the natural grain and patina of the wood.

Rubio Monocoat adheres with the first microns of wood by molecular bonding. As a result, Rubio Monocoat Natural Oil can cover an average 400 sq. ft. of floor per liter. And because of molecular bonding, no surface film can form, and no variable saturation can occur. Not only is a second coat not required, the finished wood will not accept a second coat. The same action protects against overlaps and color variance and causes the process to complete in one coat.

Rubio Monocoat Natural Oil finish bonding technology allows local touch up of damaged areas or scratches, because only the free wood fibers will take the touchup coating. The finished margins next to the scratched or damaged area will not accept new Rubio Monocoat. After 10 minutes, just wipe away superfluous oil. There is no overlapping or additional density buildup at the margins.

Next time you stop by the store check out the full range of color samples available in 20ml trial sizes , even in such a tiny size their coverage is amazing!

View pottz's profile

pottz

13892 posts in 1961 days

#3 posted 01-05-2021 01:51 AM

i gotta check my supplier next time im in and see if they have sample sizes,id really love too try it.

#4 posted 01-05-2021 11:33 AM

Thanks for posting, I’m going to try it as well

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#5 posted 01-05-2021 02:49 PM

Yes…I want to try it.

View splintergroup's profile (online now)

splintergroup

#6 posted 01-05-2021 02:52 PM

Good incentive to try, thanks!

I first hear of these on the Wood Whisperers videos but held short when I saw the prices. Now knowing a bit more about the work savings, then sure look better!

View brtech's profile

brtech

#7 posted 01-05-2021 03:08 PM

I have walnut floors in my living room, dining room, kitchen and office (side note: the floor is from a small company north of me that owns the trees, the mill and the installation company. Talk about full service). They are finished with Rubio Monocoat. Love it. Going on 5 years and it looks great. A really great feature is that if you get some scratches, you can do a light sand, put on a bit of oil, wipe it out and you can’t tell where the scratch was.

View Buck_Thorne's profile

Buck_Thorne

128 posts in 2047 days

#8 posted 01-06-2021 07:39 PM

I wish my local Woodcraft and/or Rockler would carry these new finishes that everyone is raving about. As of last week, though… they have not.

As for the ‘molecular bonding” claim though… that sounds like marketing BS to me. I suspect any finish could make that claim… otherwise it would just peel off.

View MrLaughingbrook's profile

MrLaughingbrook

#9 posted 01-08-2021 07:22 PM

I too like the Rubio Monocoat. The Cleaner solution is also a great product. I use it under all my finishes now.

-- MrLaughingbrook

View WoodAbuser's profile

WoodAbuser

#10 posted 01-09-2021 03:21 AM

Does this ultra-thin, none-soaking-in finish minimize or eliminate the uneven appearance on woods like cherry?
(Might be some worse woods than cherry, which could provide the ultimate test.)

#11 posted 01-09-2021 03:47 AM

(Might be some worse woods than cherry, which could provide the ultimate test.)

- WoodAbuser

I have no idea. First time I’ve used it. Not officially endorsing the product, I just liked it and wrote a review. :-) If I had some cherry at home I’d try it, but I don’t. If someone else tries it, let us know.

One thing I forgot to mention in case you didn’t catch it in the vids, after sanding I blew it off with compressed air (or vacuum, I can’t remember) then I damp rag wiped it to raise the grain between grits then did a thorough wipe with mineral spirits (naphtha) before applying the finish.

#12 posted 01-10-2021 12:29 PM

I have the sample, it is just one part. Guess I will just give it a try on a sample

View tmasondarnell's profile

tmasondarnell

#13 posted 01-10-2021 03:56 PM

Does anyone have any experience using Rubio on smaller pieces, such as jewelry boxes, or pieces with more complicated geometries (lots of tight corners)? All of the application videos I have seen are with flat table tops and people using powered buffers.

I am interested in trying Rubio, but most of the stuff I make and smaller and I am worried about being able to adequately buff the finish.

#14 posted 01-10-2021 05:05 PM

- tmasondarnell

I see no reason why it would be a problem. Just don’t sand any higher than 180. For small stuff applying it with a rag then giving it a thorough wipe down should work just fine IMO.

#15 posted 01-11-2021 08:05 PM

I purchased the 350 ML Amazon 50 bucks.. I am going to try it over dye to pop grain then the Rubio.