Stellar Cut Quality and Carbide Tipped

Review by pintodeluxe posted 12-30-2020 09:19 PM 1152 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stellar Cut Quality and Carbide Tipped Stellar Cut Quality and Carbide Tipped No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was most impressed with my Resaw King blade. I had already been using Laguna ProForce blades, which I’m quite happy with for everyday work. This will be a great addition to the bandsaw blade stable.

Variable tooth spacing for improved harmonics.
Carbide tipped and resharpenable.

Check out the video review for cut quality…

Cheers

View CL810's profile (online now)

CL810

#1 posted 12-31-2020 12:18 AM

Nice review Willie. I agree with your rating of the Laguna blades.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

#2 posted 12-31-2020 06:29 PM

Thanks. I’ve always been fascinated by carbide bandsaw blades, and finally got the chance to try this out. It makes sense to use carbide. I mean, imagine going back to standard steel blades on your tablesaw!

View Newbie17's profile

Newbie17

#3 posted 01-01-2021 05:22 AM

#4 posted 01-01-2021 06:43 AM

Hmm, that’s interesting. Mine is 3/4” wide and cuts beautifully in walnut and white oak.

Actually the cut quality is similar to the ProForce blade, but the carbide is supposed to stay sharp longer.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#5 posted 01-01-2021 03:54 PM

Thought about a carbide blade but hate changing blades on my B.S.
Keep a 1/2” 3 tpi on the 17” an a 3/16” on the 10”
Local shop makes up the 1/2” blades for about $15.00 CAN. which usually last me about 6 months (Hobby use) asked him about carbide blades and he told me I could get at least 5 Bahco blades for the price of the carbide an that about the 3rd blade time frame I may not be a Happy Wood worker:)
Really wonder if the Laguna is that much better?

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View James E McIntyre's profile

James E McIntyre

#6 posted 01-01-2021 04:51 PM

-- James E McIntyre

View Newbie17's profile

Newbie17

#7 posted 01-01-2021 06:39 PM

- James E McIntyre

Yes, the Timberwolf cuts beautifully. When it snapped (my own fault) I researched what the best blades were and chose the Laguna resaw king. The Resaw King cuts as rough as I imagine a bandsaw blade can. It powers through anything though with my 3 hp bandsaw. I do miss the smooth cuts of the Timberwolf.

#8 posted 01-01-2021 06:45 PM

Thought about a carbide blade but hate changing blades on my B.S.
Keep a 1/2” 3 tpi on the 17” an a 3/16” on the 10”
Really wonder if the Laguna is that much better?

- Andre

My logic was that any time a blade gets dull, your cuts will wander and likely ruin valuable lumber. Any time I’m resawing, it’s because I want my best stock to go further. If 4-5 blades would dull and need replacing in the time one carbide blade lasts, that’s worth a premium to me.
Plus it can be resharpened.

Certainly not for the occasional use hobby shop woodworker, but I think more and more serious woodworkers will opt for carbide blades.

Consider not just the one-to-one cost of silicon steel vs. carbide, but also the frustration every time a blade dulls.

Cheers

View James E McIntyre's profile

James E McIntyre

#9 posted 01-01-2021 07:10 PM

- James E McIntyre

- Newbie17

Newbie did it break at the weld? I had a 3/16” blade from Highland Woodworking and it snapped at the weld. I don’t think I over tightened it.

Got to get a 1/2” timber wolf.
Sorry Pentodelux to be chatting over your review. It a great subject.

-- James E McIntyre

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#10 posted 01-02-2021 01:12 PM

Very good and informative review. I use a Woodslicer blade and get similar looking results to your non-carbide blade.

Do others have similar results with the red resaw king?

I have fallen in love with your bandsaw and guides.

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#11 posted 01-10-2021 02:44 PM

My Highlander Woodslicer gave a great finish while sharp but dulled pretty quickly compared my normal Timberwolf blades. I’m going to try sharpening it myself to see if I can extend its useful life. I have looked many times at the carbide blades but I haven’t gotten over the sticker shock yet to give it try.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

View edapp's profile

edapp

#12 posted 01-12-2021 07:35 PM

I broke my 1” resaw king after a few years of use and abuse (I was cutting down some firewood freehand, dont tell anyone) immediately purchased another without a second though. This time I got a 3/4” blade (in my 18” saw). Cuts wonderfully, tracks dead straight with no fuss, and the finish is smooth enough that I have to feel the surface with my finger to differentiate the jointed side vs the sawn side when I head to the planer.

If you are not getting an exceptionally smooth surface after making the proper adjustments to tracking and tension, I would call laguna and inquire about a warranty/exchange. For the price I expected excellent cut quality, and I have gotten it out of two blades.

Love it!

View edapp's profile

edapp

#13 posted 01-12-2021 07:37 PM

My Highlander Woodslicer gave a great finish while sharp but dulled pretty quickly compared my normal Timberwolf blades. I m going to try sharpening it myself to see if I can extend its useful life. I have looked many times at the carbide blades but I haven t gotten over the sticker shock yet to give it try.

- Lazyman

After throwing away 3 or 4 woodslicer blades I switched and will never go back. The woodslicer worked but you arent joking about it dulling quickly.

View splintergroup's profile (online now)

splintergroup

#14 posted 01-12-2021 08:19 PM

I loved the woodslicers, fast, smooth cuts but once some hardwoods went through they dulled fast.
On a lark I bought a 144” x 3/4” RK and I am very impressed so far. No hesitation with hard woods and seems as sharp as ever. I even bought a 1” version in reserve since I forsee some day I’ll need to send out the 3/4” for sharpening and I really don’t want to be caught without one.

#15 posted 01-12-2021 08:52 PM

Love it!

- edapp

I agree, you really have to feel the surface to see which side was cut on the bandsaw.