Cheaper for a reason...

Review by awsum55 posted 12-26-2020 07:39 PM 1127 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cheaper for a reason... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A story about GluBot. I bought a GluBot a few years ago and couldn’t live without it. It was worn out, it needed a new tip and the tether on the cap was gone. I also wanted another for convenience and to have one for Tightbond 1 and Tightbond 2. I shopped online and found some that were half the price, so I bought two new ones. When they arrived I was disappointed. The bottle was made of stiffer plastic (much harder to squeeze), the caps were hard plastic (not silicone) without a tether. Something was wrong. I found several things that were inferior to my first one and called GluBot to alert them that several vendors were selling what I thought were Chinese knock offs. I sent them pictures and a link. They told me they were sorry, but that was their first version of the GluBot and it had been redesigned. I guess they sold off their older versions to other vendors. The difference was very noticeable. She sent me a coupon for a discount on the ones they sell now. This is a copy of the email I sent them.

So if you are in the market for a GluBot make sure you get the newest version. The reason I use the 16oz bottle of Tightbond 3 is because I almost never use TB3 and want to be very aware when I do. I’ve ruined clothes by unknowingly getting some on my sleeves and once dry it doesn’t wash out in the laundry.

View jayseedub's profile

jayseedub

#1 posted 12-26-2020 09:25 PM

Good to know. So if you buy it directly from FastCap you’ll get the “good,” redesigned version with silicone, tethered cap? Is that how I’m reading what you wrote? Thanks for the heads-up!

#2 posted 12-27-2020 04:39 AM

maybe thats what i got because i did not like it and threw it out.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#3 posted 12-27-2020 07:13 AM

Good to know. So if you buy it directly from FastCap you ll get the “good,” redesigned version with silicone, tethered cap? Is that how I m reading what you wrote? Thanks for the heads-up!

- jayseedub

That’s right. I’m sure you can get the new version elsewhere, but unless you see the actual product you can’t be sure. I know several vendors on ebay sell the older version.

#4 posted 12-27-2020 07:24 AM

- pottz

pottz, I bet you did get an earlier version. I really like them because the glue will come out for you at any angle. You don’t have to turn the bottle upside down like regular glue bottles. The other nice part is if the glue collects in and around the nozzle, you can pry it off with your fingernail.

View SpartyOn's profile

SpartyOn

#5 posted 12-27-2020 02:12 PM

I love mine for the same reasons John D cites. I bought mine at Rockler, I think about a year ago.

#6 posted 12-27-2020 05:49 PM

- pottz

pottz, I bet you did get an earlier version. I really like them because the glue will come out for you at any angle. You don t have to turn the bottle upside down like regular glue bottles. The other nice part is if the glue collects in and around the nozzle, you can pry it off with your fingernail.

- awsum55

maybe i need to try one again.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#7 posted 12-28-2020 03:07 AM

- awsum55

maybe i need to try one again.

- pottz

Potz, if it’s like the one I’ve had for a few years now, it’s a great bottle. I’ve tried lots of them, Rocklers, etc. I’ve even tried using mustard bottles and all array of possibilities. When I got this one as a gift I just stopped looking. I’ve got the same one and I’ve had it maybe 5 years. It’s still going strong. The only thing I’ve done is replaced the tip and gasket a couple of times. For me it’s the end point in glue bottle searches.

#8 posted 12-28-2020 03:32 AM

ok maybe ill give it another try,maybe i got the suck one awsum said he got.so where did you guys get yours from ?

View Dave Polaschek's profile

Dave Polaschek

#9 posted 12-28-2020 01:07 PM

I bought my first Glübot on Amazon, but I just bought some extra tips and a spare bottle direct from FastCap – prices weren’t bad, and shipping wasn’t that horrible.

-- Dave - Santa Fe

#10 posted 12-28-2020 06:53 PM

Be careful on Amazon. Here is a screen shot of the first 2 items on amazon when searching for glubot. The first one is old version the 2nd one is new. The easy giveaway is there is no tether on the cap in the first photo. Also the price on the older ones is usually lower.

#11 posted 12-28-2020 06:57 PM

- awsum55

just got back from my wood dealer and got the genuine glubot with the silicone cap and thether,also soft bottle,easy too squuze plastic.the one had before was the one from amazon,it was no good.only paid 7.26 for the 16oz.

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

#12 posted 12-28-2020 06:59 PM

I have two 4 ounce glu-bot bottles, instead of the 16 ounce size. Sometimes I have a helper doing glue-ups, So it’s nice to have the second bottle. I found I like the smaller size for ease of use verses the 16 ounce bottle. Even though I have to fill the bottles more often. I would give Glu-bot a five star rating.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#13 posted 12-28-2020 07:03 PM

I have two 4 ounce glu-bot bottles, instead of the 16 ounce size. Sometimes I have a helper doing glue-ups, So it s nice to have the second bottle. I found I like the smaller size for ease of use verses the 16 ounce bottle. Even though I have to fill the bottles more often. I would give Glu-bot a five star rating.

- WoodenDreams

I bought mine as a pair long ago. I’ve yet to fill the small one. To me it looks like the ‘shot glass’ of glue bottles.

#14 posted 12-28-2020 09:01 PM

ok well after putting it to use today ive changed my mind it works quit well,night and day from the imposter i got the first time.thanks for posting this john.

#15 posted 12-28-2020 09:07 PM

- pottz

That makes my day, glad I could help someone.