The Workbench Book

Review by BillGo posted 12-22-2020 03:59 AM 1114 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Workbench Book No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was talking to someone on another channel and this book came up. I thought I would post a review of it here so more people could see it. I think this is a great reference book for workbenches. The author has done a great job researching the history, and background for how workbenches have been used through history, the purpose of them, and the important factors to consider when coming up with the perfect bench for your needs.

Things like: – What kind of work you want to do – What your budget is – How much space you have – How much effort you want to put into it

I might also like this book so much because I found a good workbench that i thought best fit my needs. There are about 6 classic workbenches in the book described with history, purpose, use examples, plans, and instructions. If you are lucky enough to settle on one of these, you could be all set. I found the one I liked (The Klausz bench) and then modified it (made it taller) for my own needs.

The background and history will help you decide what you need, or how you might need to modify a design to make it your own. The pictures and illustrations make it an easy read. The nice descriptions of the benches and how they are used help you choose a style that matches your needs, and the detailed plans and instructions provide what you need to build one of the benches in the book should you decide to.

Best of luck finding the perfect bench for you…

-- Bill - in New Hampshire

View BillGo's profile

BillGo

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 12-22-2020 06:47 AM

Best of luck finding the perfect bench for you…

- BillGo

That’s the key right there. So many obsess over the perfect bench, but it really comes down to how you work and what your needs are. A solid core residential door sitting on some sawhorses will do more for getting your projects on track than will the bench of your dreams that only exists in your head.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#2 posted 12-22-2020 02:47 PM

I think I have this laying around somewhere. As I recall, it was an interesting read with plenty of other information beyond just how to figure out which work bench was “best” for you. I’m still “researching”, which really means I haven’t figure out what I want to make.

View BillGo's profile

BillGo

#3 posted 12-22-2020 04:31 PM

@EarlS, if you can find the book, I would suggest you thumb through it again with a modified goal. Try not to think of finding the workbench which is “best” for you, but maybe look for the workbench which would be the best “platform” from which to grown your best bench from… at least that is how I worked it. As builders, we are not going to be completely happy with someone else’s design are we? ;-)

-- Bill - in New Hampshire