I'm done with Woodcraft Plano

Review by becikeja posted 12-11-2020 12:24 PM 4311 views 2 times favorited 56 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I'm done with Woodcraft Plano No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is isolated to one store. Woodcraft in Plano Texas.
I am fortunate that I now live in the Dallas area as of a year ago and have other options. I am not a professional woodworker, just a hobbyist but I think I’m pretty good. Feel free to review my projects and judge for yourself. I love the hobby and spend most of my free time in the shop. Unfortunately I do have a day job and occasionally need something to finish up a project on the weekend. I have a great wife who has no idea what she is looking at, but does not mind running out to the local supply store and picking something up for me as long as I give her a picture or brand or even the actual product I need. Since moving to Dallas Woodcraft of Plano is our closest option. Each time she has gone there, she comes back stating that she hates that store, the people that work there are very arrogant and condescending. Last Saturday at round 2:00 PM I got to see first hand what she was talking about. One employee was talking to a potential customer on table saws. The customer was obviously interested in a Powermatic saw and the sales guy (older man with glasses) told him flat out that he was an idiot for even considering it over a Sawstop. They proceeded to get into an argument over it… bizarre. The potential customer walked out angry. Why would you fight with a customer?? I scratched my head as I was looking for some particular hardware. Trying to figure out how I could make the Woodcraft offers on the shelf work for me a different clerk (heavy set guy) walked over and asked if I needed help. I told him what I was looking for. He laughed at me and told me that this was a woodworking store and I was in the wrong place. Then proceeded to tell me how skilled he was in woodworking and had never heard of doing anything like I was proposing. I left and went 20 minutes down the road to Rockler in Richardson. The clerk at Rockler and I discussed what I wanted to do, I bought some hardware and the project is now complete and works great. Needless to say, I will now drive the extra 15 minutes no questions asked. Why chase away customers? I don’t get it…...

-- Don't outsmart your common sense

View becikeja's profile

becikeja

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

#1 posted 12-11-2020 12:37 PM

From my location Woodcraft is 11.5 miles and Rockler 12.5 miles away, my 1st choice is Rockler, if I’m going to Woodcraft it is usually for lumber they have on sale.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View Sawdust2012's profile

Sawdust2012

#2 posted 12-11-2020 12:44 PM

I’ve had similar experiences at another Woodcraft in a different part of he country. I’d identify the store, but I haven’t been there in a couple of years and don’t know if the guy is still around. The store in Greensboro, NC was fantastic back when it was open. I’ve since found small family owned operations around the country on the internet with which I have developed a phone relationship. Klingspore has a shop in Winston that has become my go to. They know what they’re doing and they’re helpful, but their coffee is undrinkable.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#3 posted 12-11-2020 01:59 PM

I’ve never been a big fan of Woodcraft. I haven’t had bad experiences but there is a certain vibe in the air. When I was younger I always had this feeling that I wasn’t taken like I could be a woodworker. The prices aren’t good unless there’s a sale so I typically avoid them unless it’s for stain or for a smaller piece of wood on sale like Gary mentioned.

There’s a really well known exotic wood supplier 20 minutes from me with anything you could imagine. I drive almost an hour to another place because they aren’t pompous and I can find prices on everything instead of having to ask with the feeling of, “if you have to ask it’s probably not for you”

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Rich1955's profile

Rich1955

#4 posted 12-11-2020 02:15 PM

I must be fortunate that I have both Rockler and Woodcraft near me and both stores have excellent staff.
I do feel Rockler has better prices, but I think Woodcraft has a better selection of hand tools. As for wood, I have a hardwood dealer about 10 minutes from my house, again with excellent staff.

-- Rich

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

#5 posted 12-11-2020 02:15 PM

You and I must live close to each other. I have never had the experience that you are talking about but I get the same vibe and that store is my last choice. They tend to go through employees and they are all condescending. I’ll go in there a day or two after a sale starts and they haven’t even unpacked the items yet or put them out on display.
Do you ever go to Rockler in Frisco? The store is twice the size of the one in Richardson. Every time I walk into Rockler I’m greeted with “Hi, thanks for coming in to Rockler, what are you working on, how can we help you today?”. Both of the Rockler locations on the north side of the metroplex are awesome.

-- NorthWoodsMan

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#6 posted 12-11-2020 02:49 PM

The Woodcrafter in my area was bad and is no longer around, but the Rockler in my area is and always was much better in every way.

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#7 posted 12-11-2020 03:02 PM

Sounds like a good reason for a scathing yelp review. I also wonder if your wife was subject to “The little woman syndrome,” not taken as seriously and given less respect because of gender. Woodworking is generally a male dominated community and chauvinism sadly not a thing of the past. Regardless, having inadequately trained and/or non customer oriented sales staff is not only unfortunate but downright stupid from a business perspective.

I have no complaints…or accolades either for our Woodcraft, but in general I think the prices are a bit high. Really not that many options near us though, so I tend to buy online and have had fairly good experience so far. Given Covid, brick and mortars are taking a hit…seems like they’d bend over backwards to keep a customer happy. I’d gladly pay a bit more for a tool that had a dealership down the street that would back me up if I needed it, but I’d want a distinctly positive relationship with that dealership first. Certainly, arrogance and poor customer service deletes the value of any perceived local support. Amazing how so many businesses don’t get the simplicity of the concept!

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

View Arcola60's profile

Arcola60

#8 posted 12-11-2020 05:58 PM

I have never been to a Woodcraft, or Rockler store. I have only purchased on line from both.

We have a locally owned woodworking store that sells most of what the other two offer. They have always been extremely: courteous, polite, supportive, and professional. They answer questions. They will offer suggestions. They know my name, and I know theirs.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s experience. No one needs that.

If I ever do go to any Woodcraft store I will certainly be on guard. It will not be pretty…

View pottz's profile

pottz

#9 posted 12-11-2020 06:51 PM

never been in a woodcraft store just a few times online,i agree their a little pricey.mostly i go to my local rockler store always nice friendly guys more than willing to help out.kinda crazy the guy would call the customer stupid because he wanted something other than what the salesman liked.cost the store a lot of money,he shpuld be fired.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View jbmaine's profile

jbmaine

#10 posted 12-11-2020 09:28 PM

Hate to say it, but the Woodcraft store local to me is as bad as the OP describes his. A few weeks ago my wife stopped in to pick an item for me .We had looked at the website and saw this store had several in stock. She couldn’t find it and asked for help. She was told they didn’t carry it in stock. She said the website showed several in stock. They LAUGHED at her and told her to never trust their website. I’ll order from Rockler from now on.

View Buck_Thorne's profile

Buck_Thorne

#11 posted 12-12-2020 12:12 AM

I have two Rockler stores and one Woodcraft store about the same distance from me. When they have what I want, I prefer my Woodcraft. I have had no attitude from any of the employees, and find that they cater at least a little bit more to the hand tool crowd. Their handplane or chisel selections, for instance, is much better than Rockler’s. I’ve been shocked a couple of times by the lack of knowledge of some of the employees at my Rockler stores but can’t say the same for my Woodcraft.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#12 posted 12-12-2020 12:32 AM

well one thing too remember any store or company is only as good as it’s employees.when you run into problems like what have been discussed report it too the companies head quarters,a good company wants to know.but start with store manager and see if that solves the issue first.unless it is the manager!

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#13 posted 12-12-2020 11:51 AM

Threads like these are very helpful in shutting down stores. Would you be happier if they just closed? Yes, some stores have poor service. But, I would be happy to deal with that to just have one close. My closest is more than 50 miles away.

Of course, you can always order online but I prefer to be able to put hands on tools before I buy them.

View clagwell's profile

clagwell

#14 posted 12-12-2020 01:41 PM

According to this article as of 2017 68 of the 76 Woodcraft stores were franchises. So in most cases you’re dealing with a locally owned shop and all of the extremes of attitude and service, both good and bad, that come with that.

-- Dave, Tippecanoe County, IN --- Is there a corollary to Beranek.s Law that applies to dust collection?

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#15 posted 12-12-2020 03:28 PM

I have neither Rockler or Woodcraft in Ft Myers. The closest store in hours drive away. Woodcraft was in Ft. Myers for a few years. Amazon often delivers the next day for what I want.

-- Petey