More Affordable V Link Belt

Review by JasonWagner posted 12-03-2020 10:15 PM 1186 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
More Affordable V Link Belt No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a Grizzly G1023SLWX that’s a 5 hp saw with three 3/8” belts. I got it slightly used with the stock belts and it always made more harsh sounds than I liked. I swapped those belts for grooved Gates belts and didn’t notice much difference in smoothness other than they weren’t “set” as new. However, I always had a “bang” on power-up and shudder on shutdown. I know this has been discussed to death. But, the bang started to bother me so I was looking at linked belts. It made a huge difference = stopped the issue of the bang on start and shudder on stop. I was as cheap as possible and ordered 72” of belt to replace 3×25” belts that almost maxed out the travel of the motor. The 72” I got took the bare minimum of travel but I was able to walk the belts on and there’s sufficient slack. So this review is for belts from Beltpalace.com…I don’t know if they resell another brand but so far it’s everything I wanted. Link belt sizing and linking is quite the pain until you figure out you just have to manhandle it and bend/twist stuff until it fits and connects. A pair of needle nose pliers is your friend.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

#1 posted 12-05-2020 04:40 AM

Thanks for the lead and info.

View LeoStCharles's profile

LeoStCharles

#2 posted 01-10-2021 08:57 PM

I found the same results with my table saw. Also added all steel balanced pulleys that came in a kit with the link belt. Still, a big hurdle to overcome the price for the belt because I’m cheap. worth the money.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#3 posted 01-11-2021 12:24 AM

I’m cheap in weird ways too but this was really worth it, even just for the sound and no shudder on shutdown. I put one on my bandsaw too shorty after this. I don’t think I need one on my drill press or jointer. I sure wish the miter saw or planer was belt drive instead of the “screaming” direct drive.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!