6 inch benchtop jointer

Review by Davevand posted 12-03-2020 03:00 AM 1798 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
6 inch benchtop jointer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this jointer online on Black Friday and it arrived today, much faster than I anticipated, that was good, but UPS left it out in the rain instead of carrying it 5 more feet and putting it under my porch roof. I chose this jointer based on the fact that it had cast iron tables and 4 sided carbide inserts (the others I looked at had 2 sided inserts and aluminum tables).

First impressions, no 4 inch dust port, kind of disappointing, both tables are very well machined but both had a very slight dish in the center, not much, I could see a bit of light with a flashlight behind my straight edge but I could not get a .0015 feeler gage in the gap. I don’t think this will really matter. Getting the tables co-planer was a bit of a challenge. They have changed the leveling system for the tables and they have not updated the manual. I had to remove one of the table to look at it to determine that there are now little jack screws on both sides of the bolt that holds the table on, not sure why they put 2 on each bolt seems like over kill and confusing. I finally just turned one of the jack screws out of the way and used just one per bolt to do the leveling, then once I got things all lined up and tightened down I then screwed the second jack screw down and tight as I could. And by the way they did not include the 2mm hex key for the leveling screws, they did include the other 2 hex keys for the table and fence. I finally did get the table dialed in, took a lot of trial and error and put the fence on which was easy to get dialed in. The fence is decent but will flex if you put pressure on it.

I ran several test boards though it and it works really well, lots of power, nice smooth finish and nice square corner when edge and face jointing. It hardly bogged down at all running a face jointing 6” white oak.
Over all I think I will be happy with it, I will be running a bunch of rough white oak through it tomorrow.

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#1 posted 12-03-2020 02:17 PM

Are the tables aluminum or cast iron? I bought a cheap Porter cable 6” bench top off Craig’s list that looks like a similar design and the aluminum tables on it are it’s second weakest link. It has no way to adjust them. The weakest link is the fence. It’s locking mechanism is not very solid and it is difficult to get it square and feel like it’s going to stay that way, not to mention that, also being aluminum, flexes a bit. What do you think of the fence on this one?

BTW, the dust port on the PC is also just a standard shop vac fitting and as a longs as I remember to turn it on, works perfectly.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

#2 posted 12-03-2020 03:28 PM

The tables are definitely cast iron, although they are not super thick and heavy they do add some weight to the jointer and give it a good solid feel. The fence is fairly good, the only flex is out on the ends if I put a lot of pressure on them. Also I forgot to include that Wahuda also sent 10 additional carbide inserts (there are 12 total on the head) so I will probably never have to buy any more.

View chris underwood's profile

chris underwood

#3 posted 12-05-2020 01:07 AM

Thanks for the review.I bought the 8 inch model and had the same problems.Also took table off to figure out the leveling screws.Mine cuts good.But the chips do build up under the machine.U can’t tell til u remove it from your benchtop.I can fit a 4 inch hose on mine and use a jet cyclone dust collector but dust collection is poor.I don’t cut boards longer than 4 foot.As I just use it to prep lumber from making segment bowls.I am happy so far with mine.

-- chris underwood

View Warren's profile

Warren

#4 posted 12-05-2020 01:53 AM

Davevand & Chuckin

I also bought the 8” model about a year ago and am also very pleased with it. I consider the dust collection to be very good to excellent. Don’t care about chips that end up under the machine, as long as they are not on the floor.

View mikeber's profile

mikeber

#5 posted 12-08-2020 10:18 AM

Thanks for the review! Wasn’t familiar with this company. I see they are also offering a midi lathe but everything seems pricey. An unknown company competing with Jet and Rikon at similar price point? Time will tell…

View kkaucher's profile

kkaucher

#6 posted 12-08-2020 06:34 PM

I have a Cutech lunchbox planer and a 6” Cutech jointer. They’re not perfect, but they do a good job and provide a nice finish. No problems after a little over 2 years of use.

-- A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown

kkaucher

#9 posted 12-10-2020 11:25 PM

How much di d you pay?

- Lou Sylvester

When it was Cutech, I bought the planer and jointer on 02/11/2018 for $600 including tax and shipping.

-- A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#10 posted 12-11-2020 12:28 AM

I bought the 8” version a few weeks ago. Works great for a benchtop especially with the spiral cutter. It came from Canada with free shipping and no tax for $549.

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View Rivercityjeff's profile

Rivercityjeff

#11 posted 12-31-2020 09:22 PM

We bought the 6” model for the church shop. If worked extremely well straight out of the box. Clean edges on cherry with no snipe. Much better than my old longbed Jet! Much quieter than the Jet because of the staggered cutters. Less energy too.

As soon as we get the 2021 budget sorted, I will purchase the Wahuda planer too!

-- Micah 6:8 <><

View RyanGi's profile

RyanGi

#12 posted 01-16-2021 03:17 AM

I have the 8” Wahuda with the segmented cutting head. It works excellent in my hobby shop….I use the extendable supports and find they work very well. Mine were about perfectly co-planer when I got it. I will say that I took a lot of time getting the infeed and outfeed tables just right…and I almost never adjust the depth of cut. But, it does what I need it to do, cleanly and without a fuss. The fence works well and is easy enough to use. For a small shop, I think it’s a great buy!

-- I like chips...and sawdust...but mostly chips...with vinegar