Cuts Like a Laser, Excellent Features

Review by pintodeluxe posted 11-30-2020 08:05 PM 1593 views 5 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cuts Like a Laser, Excellent Features Cuts Like a Laser, Excellent Features Cuts Like a Laser, Excellent Features Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Laguna 1412 is a contender among current 14” bandsaw offerings at this price point. It’s rated to re-saw 12”, but will actually do more like 13”.

Ceramic Guides: I decided on this saw because of the ceramic guides, which have 5 points of contact above the table, and five points of contact below the table. I was tired of replacing roller bearings on my old saw, and much prefer the easy to adjust ceramic guides. On the lower guide assembly, you’ll want to move the angled knob from the rear of the block, to the threaded location at the front of the block. This makes routine adjustments much easier. It limits forward table tilt slightly, but that’s a non-issue for me because I usually only tilt the table 5-7 degrees either way. The 1412 has an ingenious method to tilt the table backward, with no tools, and no adjustment to your 90 degree stop. I’ve already appreciated that feature on multiple occasions.

Rack and Pinion / Periscope Up
The rack and pinion on the 1412 is absolutely amazing. Set the ceramic guides anywhere along the travel of the rack and pinion’s range of movement. Then adjust the rack and pinion again, and the guides stay exactly aligned. The blade always stays square to the table, regardless of guide post height. I know it seems like all saws should be accurate this way, but I assure you, they’re not. It was always a source of aggravation on my old saw, that each time I moved the guide post I had to reset the blade guides. No such problems on the 1412.

As you approach the upper end of the re-saw height, the rack and pinion projects through the top of the saw like a periscope. Clever little detail I thought. Plus the magnetic blade guard helps hold the blade on the upper wheel during blade changes (an unexpected benefit).

LED Snake Light
The light hard mounts to the front of the cabinet, and has a generous length to light up your work. The on/off toggle switch is right on the head of the light. Nice bright light that’s always within reach. The best part is the accessory 120v outlet on the back of the saw. Nice thoughtful detail there. (Light is optional).
It’s a different light than the halogen light pictured on most stock photos of the 1412 but I really like the ability to position the light wherever you want.

Quick Blade Tension Release
The 1412 has a standard integral quick-release lever to release tension on the blade. This makes blade changes, and shutting the shop down for the night quick and painless. I didn’t notice any change in tracking when releasing tension with the lever. In other words, it works just as it should.

Throat Plate
The blue anodized throat plate on this machine is enormous. It helps to see what you’re doing for blade changes and setting the lower ceramic guides. It’s easy to level the insert to the table with four Allen wrench set screws, and held in place with a single Phillips screw. This is one of my fovorite features of the saw.

Fence
The fence rail and “knuckle” that slides on the rail are outstanding. Very sturdy and easy to use. The tall aluminum fence slides onto the fence knuckle assembly, and is secured with two knobs. When in re-saw mode the fence is great. In fact, I think it’s the standard for re-saw fence setups in the industry. However, when it’s in “flat” mode, it’s a little too short. Plus it takes up half your worktable! I prefer an everyday fence that’s about 2-1/4” tall so I can lower the guide post down close to the work. Sooo… I made a short fence that uses the same mounting system as the stock fence.

Look for an upcoming blog series on the 1412, including details on the custom everyday fence, and a custom small outfeed table. Overall 5 stars, and with my few mods I’ve done I’m really happy with how it performs.

Here are links to the blog series on the 1412 Bandsaw…

Custom Everyday fence… https://www.lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/131862

Dust Collection Mods for 1412… https://www.lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/131882

Custom Bandsaw Outfeed Table… https://www.lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/131886

View WhattheChuck's profile

WhattheChuck

#1 posted 11-30-2020 09:20 PM

Great review—basically has all the upgrades I’ve done to my 1947 Rockwell Delta saw—and the price comes out to be about the same at $1049. Plus the guides are better.

Thanks!

-- Chuck, Pullman, WA

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#2 posted 11-30-2020 10:07 PM

That is a great review, with nice pics and explanations. I like my old Grizzly, but I think I would like your saw even better, particularly the ceramic guides.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View CL810's profile

CL810

#3 posted 11-30-2020 10:18 PM

Great review Willie! I’ve been waiting to write a review on my 1412 until I had a year under my belt with it (10 months now.) All I can say is I couldn’t be happier with my decision. But I should add that I also would give their Resaw King blade 5 stars.

Looking forward to your blog.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#4 posted 11-30-2020 11:54 PM

Do you have any feedback/observations of effectiveness of dust collection (what do you use) . I have a Rikon 10-325 & while it’s a good saw, I really haven’t been happy with that issue.

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

#5 posted 12-01-2020 12:04 AM

Do you have any feedback/observations of effectiveness of dust collection (what do you use) . I have a Rikon 10-325 & while it s a good saw, I really haven t been happy with that issue.

- wncguy

I have done quite a lot of work with custom bandsaw dust collection modifications on previous saws. I can usually collect almost all the dust with modifications, save for a sprinkling of dust that falls on the cast iron table. With the stock setup on the 1412 it is really quite effective (2hp full size cyclone with 6” to 4” pipe at the tool). I’ll be adding a blog on DC mods specific to the 1412, and I’ll add a link to the review when the blog is done. I thought two ports would be required, but the single 4” port on the 1412 seems to do just fine.

View Drew's profile

Drew

#6 posted 12-01-2020 04:32 PM

The best thing I’ve done to my 14 Twelve was replace the guides with Carter micro adjust guides. The ceramic guides were a huge headache.

-- TruCraftFurniture.com

View chem's profile

chem

#7 posted 12-01-2020 06:05 PM

This has been reviewed by others three times (same machine but different name…something to work on lumberjocks). Here is my brief review.

This is a great and detailed review on a recent build. Glad to hear they are keeping up the quality.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

View Drew's profile

Drew

#8 posted 12-01-2020 10:01 PM

- chem

The more reviews the better IMO.

-- TruCraftFurniture.com

View CL810's profile

CL810

#9 posted 12-01-2020 11:13 PM

I’m with Drew.

View chem's profile

chem

#10 posted 12-02-2020 04:27 AM

The more reviews the better IMO.

- Drew

Agreed. My complaint is that they are hard to find when different names are used for the same machine.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

View iminmyshop's profile

iminmyshop

#11 posted 12-11-2020 02:00 AM

I have the Laguna 14SUV and like it overall. It looks like you have the same blade guide system. One problem I have is adjusting the blade guides. When putting in a new blade, tightening down the screw in front of each guide to adjust its distance from the blade always cause the guide to move unless you really hold the guide itself tight. But, even then it almost always moves making accurate placement of the guard exceedingly difficult. Have you figured out any tricks to do this?

Which blade are you using?

-- http://www.alansfinewoodworking.com/

#12 posted 12-11-2020 02:13 AM

Which blade are you using?

- iminmyshop

At first it seems like the guides have too much freedom of movement when setting them, but as you get the hang of it, it really is a brilliant system.

The trick is to tighten the thrust guide first. Then do the last three knobs all at once. Pinch the guides lightly to the blade and begin tightening the knobs. Basically the blade is the boss, and the guides just go right where the blade says.

Of course you need to tension and track the blade before setting the guides.

I use the Laguna Proforce blades and Resaw King. Look for an upcoming blog specially on the Resaw King. It will pop up in my blog series on the 1412 bandsaw.

Good luck with it!

View trsnider's profile

trsnider

#13 posted 12-14-2020 02:18 PM

I must’of got a lemon. I’ve whined about various things on my 1412 over the years—blades guides, broken / mismanufactured rack & pinon… Glad you like yours