WEN 8x12 3420T Wood Lathe - 7 months, 39 projects & DEAD

Review by MovingChips posted 11-18-2020 03:51 PM 744 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WEN 8x12 3420T Wood Lathe - 7 months, 39 projects & DEAD No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

WEN 8×12 3420T Wood Lathe – 7 Months old, 39 projects in and the lathe has died. This is my final review and look at the WEN 8×12 model 3420t.

- Weak motor
- Soft Metal (tool rest and head stock)
- No replacement parts
- Tool rest lowest setting not low enough
- Not meant for bowl turning

+ Variable speed control
+ 110v house outlet (no special electrical outlet required)

I may have pushed this little lathe beyond its manufactures suggested usage. To understand this is to first realize the manufacturer suggests not turning anything greater then 5 inch diameter, although it has 8 inches of clearance.

After talking with others, it is my belief that the lathe might actually be intended for small projects (pens) and not larger projects like bowls, boxes, platters, etc. Large projects will require large tools and thus the reason the tool rest is not able to get lower. But then why provide a screw plate for larger projects? Why have an 8 inch throw?

I will confess that at this point I must have used the 8×12 lathe as I assumed it was designed. It would probably still be running fine, if I did nothing but pen projects. For this reason, I am giving the lathe two stars.

1 star for getting me into to turning and another for holding out as long as it did.

I’m taking 3 stars away for misleading me to believe I could use all 8 inches of the lathe, weak motor and lack of replacement parts.

To see the video version of this review: Death of a Lathe!

Thanks

PS – I now have a Laguna Revo 1216… what a difference! Power! Solid! So excited!

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#1 posted 11-18-2020 04:03 PM

Your review describes any WEN product I’ve used – cheap, underpowered, poor quality.

#2 posted 11-18-2020 04:17 PM

Your review describes any WEN product I ve used – cheap, underpowered, poor quality.

- EarlS

Why am I not surprised? LOL

View pottz's profile

pottz

12296 posts in 1900 days

#3 posted 11-19-2020 12:05 AM

yeah it’s POS and i think you told me it doesn’t even have a warranty,i can see why.yeah id say if all you ever wanted to do is pens then maybe.now im concerned,i just bought a wen 8” bench grinder early this year,so far it’s rockin! fingers crossed.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#4 posted 11-19-2020 12:57 AM

yeah it s POS and i think you told me it doesn t even have a warranty,i can see why.yeah id say if all you ever wanted to do is pens then maybe.now im concerned,i just bought a wen 8” bench grinder early this year,so far it s rockin! fingers crossed.

- pottz

Yeah WEN products are cheap. I have a few other tools and so far not an issue. I also don’t use the other tools nearly as much as I used the lathe.

View pottz's profile

pottz

12296 posts in 1900 days

#5 posted 11-19-2020 01:09 AM

- pottz

Yeah WEN products are cheap. I have a few other tools and so far not an issue. I also don t use the other tools nearly as much as I used the lathe.

- MovingChips

yeah the grinder will only get moderate use so i should be ok with it.

View Sark's profile

Sark

#6 posted 11-19-2020 04:36 AM

I’d say you got your money’s worth out of it.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#7 posted 11-19-2020 02:43 PM

I have a Wen drill press, spindle sander, and air filter, all of which work just fine. But none of them are used hard on a daily basis. Sorry this lathe didn’t work out. As you said, it depends on how you’re using it.

- MovingChips