Jet Tools Support JWBS-18

Review by fleet56 posted 11-18-2020 04:08 AM 805 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet Tools Support JWBS-18 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought my Bandsaw in Aug.2020. The saw shakes like a Scroll Saw. Tech support has been anything but help. I also had a lower thrust bearing that was bad, and they sent the wrong parts for it and a set of bearings to replace the top wheel in an attempt to remedy the vibration. The bearings in my unit are around three-inch in diameter. They sent ones that are 2-inch in diameter. As it stands now, I have an expensive (for me) new band saw I have not been able to use for three months and a support team that acts like a Laural and Hardy movie.
The latest news, Monday, I got the lower thrust bearing. This part was supposed to ship in September.

View Jim's profile

Jim

#1 posted 11-19-2020 05:29 AM

I have to say that I’m surprised. My shop is 80% Jet tools and the few times I used customer support it was always a good experience. I hope it all works out for you!

-- Jim

View Woodtodust's profile

Woodtodust

#2 posted 11-19-2020 12:46 PM

I have found Jet customer support to be a very iffy proposition. I’ve called, probably three times, and one out of three was helpful the other two were either rude or seemed less than interested. A small sample size but one that has left me with the impression that customer service is not an important aspect of their business. It is important to me, so I have migrated away from Jet.

-- Bill...Richmond Hill, GA--"83% of all statistics are made up."

#3 posted 11-19-2020 12:58 PM

Unfortunately, I have several tools as well. Until this last purchase, I was a happy advocate of Jet. With one call with Jackie, the first of many, I am wanting to replace them too. What do you think is a good alternative? I have a Grizzly lathe and not a big fan of theirs. Powermatic is owned by the JPW group so I worry the support will be the same as Jet not to mention the pricing.

View mdhills's profile

mdhills

#4 posted 11-19-2020 03:15 PM

That would be frustrating.

What steps have you been through on trying to diagnose the vibration? Do you get it with the blade off?
Motor/bearings, lower wheel/bearings, upper wheel/bearings, tires, and the blade can all cause problems. Tires, in particular, can be really annoying. (but you’d like to not be chasing through these things with a new machine)

Matt

#5 posted 11-19-2020 06:27 PM

Yeah, thanks, Matt. All this and more have been tried. I just got an upper wheel from UPS, replaced it on my machine and it’s fix, YAY. Since they can’t return a call or email, I think I’ll reciprocate and not let them know that 3 months and 8 days after I took delivery, it works.

View James E McIntyre's profile

James E McIntyre

#6 posted 11-24-2020 11:29 PM

Hi Fleet. Are you saying the top wheel was out of round or warped? That’s not a good sign that a company has such poor quality control.

Was it difficult to remove the upper wheel? I know it wouldn’t be fun on my Grizzly.
I was having trouble with straight cuts until I watched the YouTube video hosted by the Woodwhisperer.
He had Alex Snardgrass show how he tunes a band saw. It’s the best one by far.

-- James E McIntyre