A solid product after a small fix.

Review by ColoradoJake posted 11-16-2020 01:55 AM 666 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
A solid product after a small fix. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased this WoodRiver Wheel Marking Gauge. I did not look close to find out why it was half the price of the other ones at Woodcraft, just thought that it was because the expensive one has a fancy wood handle etc. I get it home and instantly find out why it is $18.00, as we all know the cutter has the screw on the outside so we can’t get a useable setting when we want to mark some things.

So I looked on the Woodcraft website and found the WoodRiver - Wheel Marking Gauge - Replacement Blade for $5.00. So I go back to the store (30 minutes away) and see if it is compatible. BINGO! This replacement blade fits on the $18.00 gauge and all I had to do was sand off the top of the screw head to make it flush with the cutter. I also added a little thread lock since I now have to use a small precision style screwdriver to tighten the screw.

Now this gauge was a total investment of more than the $50 fancier WoodRiver gauge (if you count my time), but for anyone who is in the market please feel free to purchase both of these products for a better overall deal.

I give it a 4 star rating because this is a redeemable product. It is 2 stars easily if the replacement blade wasn’t also so easy to get and low cost.

Bonus rating: the replacement blade is a solid 5 out of 5 stars, it came super sharp and ready to use out of the baggy.

View ColoradoJake's profile

ColoradoJake

1 comment so far

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 11-16-2020 05:44 AM

Yep, you get what you pay for. That’s why the one you bought has a 3-star rating (which is too high in my opinion, given the design).

I’m glad you posted your review though, since you showed how someone can turn an $18 gauge into a usable tool for a mere $5. Very good info.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner