Small carpenter square that is actually square!

Review by SMP posted 10-08-2020 12:06 AM 1208 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Small carpenter square that is actually square! Small carpenter square that is actually square! Small carpenter square that is actually square! Click the pictures to enlarge them

After buying and returning a bunch of small carpenters squares from the big box stores that were not square, i decided to splurge and buy one of these from DFM Toolworks. They were out of stock on DFM’s site but Amazon had some in stock. Upon opening the box I was impressed with the packaging and little foam block that is precision cut to hold both of their small squares and the pins etc. First thing i wanted to check though was square, as all of the other name brands from the big box stores were pretty dramatically out of square and had a “hump” at the pivot point that made them all less than useless as a “square”. So i took a new sheet of card stock, scribed a line with my GraphGear pencil, flipped the square and marked another line. Perfectly square! And it doesn’t have that little hump that all the el cheapos had. I never thought I would be so excited to buy a square that was actually square for once. The base is 1/4” on each side of the “blade” so can be used for tenons on 3/4” stock. The pin is so you can measure and scribe a few preset angles, though I doubt I will use that. My Graphgear pencil fit perfectly in the scribe holes and they are deep enough to keep them all in check. So you can scribe any 1/16” increment up to 3”. In reality though I will be using this 98% of the time for setting up tools and jigs, shooting board, etc. Overall very happy with this quality tool!

View SMP's profile

SMP

#1 posted 10-08-2020 03:55 AM

finding an exact measuring tool for an angle like you said… thx

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#2 posted 10-08-2020 02:44 PM

Nice. Those triangle squares from the Big Box stores, 6” and 12” are great for framing…and that’s about it. I never use them in the shop unless I’m just rough cutting…And forget machine alignment! Even if they were accurate, they got so abused in the field, it wouldn’t last long. I have some older Starret sliding squares that work well for me…but they’re from back in the day when quality meant something….and they don’t really have the edge support a good triangle square can give you. Looking into the DMF 6“ version for myself. Thanks for the tip!

Nothing like a dedicated precision square you can trust! Makes life so much easier. ; )

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

View SMP's profile

SMP

#3 posted 10-08-2020 10:55 PM

Yeah exactly, my cheap speed square I use for construction/remodel stuff works great. My tract home has walls that are mainly within 2 or 3 degrees of square. But if I used it for making a dovetailed box it would be a rhombus. I am also considering getting the larger contractor square even though its total overkill for framing lol. Then again I have some roofing/solar to do so may be good.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile (online now)

LittleBlackDuck

#4 posted 10-09-2020 12:14 AM

When it comes to a true square… according to my kids, I should hire myself out.

Looks like a neat and useful item… especially if you don’t forget its other uses…

Though I live in Aussieland and probably would not be available, it’s great to see something not starting with a ”Ch”,

#5 posted 10-09-2020 12:45 AM

If you have a CNC- here is was I use…

View JamesRoofer's profile

JamesRoofer

#6 posted 10-18-2020 02:27 AM

You are speaking my language. It can be frustrating finding quality tools that actually work correctly.
We have been in the Roofing Fort Smith business for a while and love checking out this website. So much great information. thank you for sharing your nice discovery. It all helps. You can check us out at https://www.roofersinfortsmith.com if you would like.

#7 posted 10-18-2020 02:41 AM

- JamesRoofer

What is your currency rate exchange in Australian Pesos?