Eliminate Chucking a Routing Fit

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 09-30-2020 03:59 AM 975 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Eliminate Chucking a Routing Fit Eliminate Chucking a Routing Fit Eliminate Chucking a Routing Fit Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

This review follows up reviews by harry1 and GaryK
Both were posted circa 2009 and I thought its time to resurrect the product for all the new members over the last 11 years that may not have ferreted through the archives looking for this little gem and the old (sorry, long serving) members that can’t remember.

I don’t profess to know the real manufacturer/pattent-holder, as in one of the above reviews it was attributed to Whiteside, however, my purchases were made from a chap named Joe Marmo under the tag of The Eliminator Chuck... a very pleasant chap who will go out of his way to assist you and answer all your queries.

The site lists the more common routers it will fit and if your router is not listed, either ring Joe and ask or buy a quality router.

To clear up any misconceptions, the Eliminator (gallery picture #1), replaces the original chuck. Gallery picture #2 shows the Eliminator next to the original chuck it replaces.

I have one fitted to my Porter Cable 7518 (motor only) router mounted in my router table,

The router is mounted to my preference with the collete’s “top” when fully lifted, a fraction below tabletop, and still permit access using an allen key.

You no longer need to battle with the traditional 2 handed spanners…

and don’t be a smart arse and say your router has a locking knob… you still have to use one hand to hold down/in that knob while cranking the spanner with the other…
Now all I need to do is choose which of these allen keys to use,

... yep, only one. Surprise yourself and use a different one each time.

I also have one of these chucks attached to one of my Makita 3612 routers,

Prior to discovering these Eliminator Chucks, I used to use these Xtreme Xtension colletes,

It does extend the reach by about 33mm, which may be of benefit under some circumstances.
I have one permanently mounted in another Makita 3612 router that is dedicated for use on a routing jig,

where I explicitly need that extended reach, made for creating oversized dowels on my lathe,

When I first discovered these Xtreme Xtension colletes, I bought a number of them (like I did this reviewed Collete), and still use it on my Triton router on my 2nd router table,

Don’t know whether the Eliminator fits the Triton or if its guilty of potential run-out issues, however, this is not an Xtreme review, so get off my back.

The Eliminator is made to fit Fe$tool, however, I have not taken that plunge as Fe$tool make dedicated colletes

which I feel is a better option that a collete reducer sleeve.
Nevertheless, if I ever decided to use my Fe$tool router (or buy the big daddy OF2200) in a router table, I would not hesitate to fit it with an appropriate Eliminator.

Finally, go out and have a few drinks, so you can chuck up afterwards!

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

#1 posted 09-30-2020 02:32 PM

Looks very similar to the Muscle Chuck I have had for about 6 years. Using the ball nose allen wrench is much better than the two wrench method.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#2 posted 09-30-2020 06:59 PM

damn it duckie your suckin me into another one of your gadgets again,actually ive been considering one of these chucks for awhile now, your just pushing me into traffic once again-lol.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#3 posted 09-30-2020 09:09 PM

- SteveMI

Looks like harry1 reviewed your version back in 2009. I thought that the MUSCLE’ was just a different badge but it looks like they are different dogs and not just different legs… Good to hear that pattent has served you well.
Personally they are a must for any router they fit… The lower shekels of the Eliminator makes that a more viable prospect. Even the Xtreme I referred to in the review is well over $100.

- pottz
pottzy, you better befriend a few traffic cops... Plan to go through the NASA ‘shop and plan to review over a thousand products woddies have never seen before and are yet to be invented.

View BigMig's profile

BigMig

#4 posted 09-30-2020 09:21 PM

Hmmm, isn’t $60 about 3x what a spare conventional collet costs? Does it vastly improve the time/hassle changing router bits or maybe secure bits better than the 2 wrench system? I’ve never seen this item…thanks for posting.

-- Mike from Lansdowne, PA

#5 posted 09-30-2020 10:53 PM

Hmmm, isn t $60 about 3x what a spare conventional collet costs? Does it vastly improve the time/hassle changing router bits or maybe secure bits better than the 2 wrench system? I ve never seen this item…thanks for posting.

- BigMig

If you’re happy with your system… stick with it… If you’re open to improvement, them take note…

It’s the chuck that gets replaced that you only need an allen key on… for 1/4” router bits you still need a reducing sleeve.

I can lead a woodworker to a router table, but I can’t make him….

View Joe Andrews's profile

Joe Andrews

#6 posted 09-30-2020 11:01 PM

I tried one of these a few years ago on my Hitachi M12VC that I used on my CNC. Had severe runout. I contacted the guy you mentioned above and he was super helpful. He said they had a problem with the chuck for the Hitachi and even sent me three more at no cost to see if they were any better. Unfortunately, all had similar issues that I couldn’t adjust out. If I had a different router, I would probably give one another shot. Just wouldn’t work on the Hitachi.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#7 posted 09-30-2020 11:05 PM

- SteveMI

Looks like harry1 reviewed your version back in 2009. I thought that the MUSCLE was just a different badge but it looks like they are different dogs and not just different legs… Good to hear that pattent has served you well.

- pottz

pottzy, you better befriend a few traffic cops... Plan to go through the NASA shop and plan to review over a thousand products woddies have never seen before and are yet to be invented.

- LittleBlackDuck

YOUR JUST PLAIN EVIL LORD DUCK !!!!

View go4tech's profile

go4tech

33 posts in 1910 days

#8 posted 09-30-2020 11:10 PM

Have used the Eliminator Chuck for years in my router table. For me, the time saved and the convenience of a quick change is more than worth it.

Liked it is so much, purchased a second for the hand held router.

Agree, Joe is quality person. Need more like him in the world.

View sstoner's profile

sstoner

#9 posted 09-30-2020 11:33 PM

I thought I read that the extender chucks that go in your standard chuck cause vibration.
Do the muscle chucks replace the collet so they are shorter, with less vibration??
Thanks
Scott

#10 posted 10-01-2020 12:01 AM

- Joe Andrews

I can only pass on my experience and I’ve had no issues… As you confirmed, Joe will go out of his way to get you working happily.
Stupid question, but does the router have runout that could get exacerbated by any addition?

Thanks
Scott
- sstoner

Probably do… a lot depends on setup… the Xtreme Xtension is just that… an extension that fits into the routers chuck…
This Eliminator replaces the original… MY bad will update the post as picture #2 shows the Eliminator next to the original that gets swapped out…

View Sark's profile

Sark

#11 posted 10-01-2020 02:39 PM

Just read through the patent, which is interesting. The concept design is to make it much easier to change router bits while ensuring that the new collet (Eliminator) is perfectly centered, balanced and provides adequate grip to the router bit. It’s not an extension per se, but it looks to be slightly taller than the collet it replaces. I use a Triton for my router table which extends high enough to make it relatively easy to change the router bits. Other of my routers could really use this pretty neat invention.

#12 posted 10-01-2020 02:51 PM

... I use a Triton for my router table which extends high enough to make it relatively easy to change the router bits.
- Sark

I’ve always found a relative is not as easy as an Allen.

Problem I found with my Triton was that I had to lift it all the way for the spindle to auto lock (nice feature)... The ball end of an allen key will reach a fair way below tabletop height… yep, I’m lazy and gladly pay for convenience.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#13 posted 10-02-2020 06:38 PM

Thank you for the review Little Black Duck. I ordered a chcuck and a sleeve from Joe Marmo – he’s a character (in a good way). Little Black Duck’s review has apparently inundated Joe with orders.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.