Elementary Dear Wats on Thread

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 09-14-2020 01:08 PM 454 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Elementary Dear Wats on Thread Elementary Dear Wats on Thread Elementary Dear Wats on Thread Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls

Father’s day has just passed in Australia, however, that doesn’t mean there’s no Father’s Day in the US some day in the future and you can put this on your wish list or do yourself a favour, have quite a few drinks, order it online, go to bed and it’ll be a surprise present when you sober up later.

This “tool” is not a must have but fall into the bloody handy asset category especially if you believe there are more than 1/4” nuts and bolts in the world.

I purchased this very basic set of imperial and metric ones from Rockler many years ago,

however, when Woodpecker retailed a more comprehensive set (not their brand), and having experienced the Rockler offering, I didn’t hesitate to place an order.

Why you may ask? OK, picture this…
You have a pile of “orphaned” nuts and bolts in front of you…

All you veteran oldies can probably identify the pitch by mentally visualising the number of threads… much like the wrinkles in your face to guess your own age, but the baby-bum faced youngies would probably need a computer or at least a calculator/iPhone to count.

Consequently, most of the smart arses out there will simply reach for their box(es) of nuts and bolts and with trial and error, try a random selection of nuts/bolts till they get a match… they then dutifully place them, in like bundles, on the bench so as not confuse them and then have to reach for those boxes again to identify each pile in front of them… after all if you were clever enough to replaced the matching hardware in the right box, you’ll only have to pull it out again if you have more hardware to check.

Convinced yet? NO! … OK.
Here in Australia, you can take your hardware down to the local Bunnings store and check the thread pitch with the hanging gauges they have down the hardware isle… only to find some mongrel has either pinched the board or you put the wrong hardware in your pocket.

Getting hotter? NO!… OK, try again.
Many of our frugal members will opt for cheap imported machinery that, damned if I know why, tend to have hardware that is not available in most local outlets…

You reach into your Tap and Die set, you do have one don’t you, and drag out your thread gauge(s)…

You choose what seems be the best fit , record the number, visit your hardware vendor and return with what now turns out to be a mismatched thread.

Still not convinced? ... Just one more attempt.
You trundle down to a specialised hardware outlet, like Metro Bold in Traralgon (Victoria, Australia), this time with the correct hardware in your hand, only to be told they don’t carry that item. You then move onto the next remote supplier only to find that you left your “samle” at the previous location who will inform you they tossed that item into the bin as they had nowhere to put back on their shelves… Shizen, now you’re missing two of those items.

Still in doubt?… Hell, reminds me of dragging that vacuum cleaner up some stairs with the cord wrapped around the legs… use your bloody welder…

otherwise…
Buy one of these gizmos… You don’t need to go apeshit and buy both the full imperial and metric sets, however, if you happen to buy some quality European gear the chances are it’ll be in metric… say no more. Furthermore, while that hand is in the pocket, why not just lash out for the full metric and imperial sets.

Then… slip your nut or bolt into/onto a close match and move along the wire until you get a hit otherwise move over to the other system till you get a hit.
Handy addition

near my hardware storage,

If you crap out on both strings for a match, you have really crapped out and are neck deep in the poo. Suggest you give/sell the tool/machinery to your favourite nemesis.

#1 posted 09-14-2020 02:24 PM

sorry ducks im still not buying it,and i mean buying it.id miss the time spent digging through countless bins and containers looking for the one that works.what would do with all that extra time?

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#2 posted 09-14-2020 07:34 PM

I always save and Nuts and Bolts I recover after dismantling electric stuff and when I am in the mood systematically sort them into the otto bin
I have the usual accs in the Ts and Ds set too and couple of plastic thread pitch gauges I am inching to show but they are about 1000klm away at the mo.

That’s an impressive accessory set for the workshop you have there not a feather out of place either!.... I dont suppose there is a leather wallet amoungst the gum trees by any chance.

#3 posted 09-14-2020 07:43 PM

That s an impressive accessory set for the workshop you have there not a feather out of place either!.... I dont suppose there is a leather wallet amoungst the gum trees by any chance.

- robscastle

that wallet is long gone rc i think i saw a pic of the duck using the leather to strop his blades on.

#4 posted 09-14-2020 07:47 PM

Yeah that would be right possibly used to store thread gauges in

#5 posted 09-14-2020 07:48 PM

Its now Sep 2020 and I haven’t made a single wood product all year.

#6 posted 09-14-2020 07:56 PM

Yesterday I managed to back the ute into the Industrial complexs 40 odd letterboxex

Wasn’t that a mess, so I guess I have a job today!

Heap of junk was held together by pop rivets …....guess what they popped!

#7 posted 09-14-2020 08:08 PM

Wasn t that a mess, so I guess I have a job today!

Heap of junk was held together by pop rivets …....guess what they popped!

nice work rc !

#8 posted 09-14-2020 08:18 PM

couldn’t let Fathers day drift past without a mention Yours truly, Grandson Rocky, and No 3 Son out enyoying it

#9 posted 09-14-2020 08:25 PM

couldn t let Fathers day drift past without a mention Yours truly, Grandson Rocky, and No 3 Son out enyoying it

- robscastle

looks like a nice time out with the boys.those filthy ducks were probably begging for a hand out ill bet.

#10 posted 09-14-2020 09:03 PM

... what would do with all that extra time?
- pottz

Hell, what else but drink!

Heap of junk was held together by pop rivets ….

You need a...

- robscastle

Who else would take that picture… JC only performs that trick at Easter or public holidays!... and farters day don’t count

#11 posted 09-14-2020 11:50 PM

c’mon rc time too raid the ducks lair !!!

#12 posted 09-15-2020 11:32 PM

Hello Pottzy sorry but as much as I would like to you will have to count me out I cannot get home let alone go to visit friendly cockroaches

Plus I have been busy fixing the Industrial complexes letter box some spastic knocked over

Fancy expecting 8×1/8 or 3mm Pop rivets to hold a structure like that up in the first place.

Needless to say they went back in !

I am nor redesigning their hunk of Junk!

would not have happened if it was made of wood and I might put a sign on it DO not Lean ON the Letter Boxes

Would not have happened if it was mad of wood!! check out the impact damage that sent Big John crashing down!!

#13 posted 09-15-2020 11:44 PM

... Would not have happened if it was mad of wood!!...
- robscastle

Sorry rc, I don’t recommend you mad (hoon) about in a wooden ute!

#14 posted 09-16-2020 12:34 AM

so whats the deal rc they wont let you even go back to your own home.what kind of crazy land do you guys live in ? see were very realistic here in the states,we cant stand still on a beach but we can stand in long lines in a super market,much safer-lol.