Good storage system for a garage

Review by EarlS posted 09-04-2020 04:59 PM 599 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good storage system for a garage Good storage system for a garage No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bora wall mounted lumber metal storage rack (~$50)
6 Levels, each level has 110-lb. (50 kg) weight capacity
41”- height
12.5” – shelf depth
Up to 72” width
Powder-coated 1” steel tube construction

Summary:
Compact, narrow storage rack that works well on a garage side wall

Details:
I installed this unit on the wall of the garage. Installation was straight forward. The vertical supports are screwed into 2×4 studs and the horizontal supports are inserted into the appropriate slots. The instructions are easy to follow, but read through them first. As I recall, the support brackets are installed before the support is mounted to the wall. The support brackets are not adjustable.

Initially, I was disappointed with the narrow shelves, but soon realized that it still can hold 5 4/4 boards per level. That is 30 boards that are 12” wide, or roughly 200 BF for 6-8’ boards, which is quite a lot of wood and might even be a bit heavier than the unit is rated for. One nice feature is the lack of a diagonal brace on the support brackets.

Since our garage ceiling is 9’ tall I was able to mount the rack high enough to get sheets of plywood under the supports.

With 6 levels, I can store lumber by species, planed, or un-planed, or however I would like to sort it out. That eliminates the need to dig through a big stack of lumber to get to the piece on the bottom.

A downside is the narrowness of the supports. Storing 2 pieces of lumber side by side on the supports without having one hang off requires a lot of fussing to get things to fit. Another inch or so would make a big difference. Having a larger size would also mean increasing the weight rating with larger tubing (1-1/2”?) with thicker walls.

All in all, I’m satisfied with the storage space and the cost of the system.

View EarlS's profile (online now)

EarlS

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#1 posted 09-04-2020 05:32 PM

I’ve gone back and forth about whether to buy one of these. My wall space is at a premium in my shop but it would probably free up some floor space If I can get the longer lumber out of my WWMM style cart. It’s probably not much more expensive than buying enough 2×4s to build something comparable.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

#2 posted 09-04-2020 07:43 PM

I have had this same rack for many years, and it has been rock solid, even filled with hardwood, boards wider than the horizontal supports. The issue of not supporting shorter boards is easily fixed by getting as second set and putting them closer together, for not a lot of money compared to the lumber stored on them. Excellent product.

View diverlloyd's profile

diverlloyd

#3 posted 09-05-2020 08:37 PM

I also have these rack ( bought when Lowe’s was selling them cheap). I bought 6 sets and set them up with a set in the center also. When installing I but the wall section up and predrilled for lag bolts. I have had no issues with them and have a bit over 1000 bdft of lumber stored. I have been extremely happy with them and if Lowe’s has more I would have bought them but I left some for the other Lumberjocks.

View chuckin's profile

chuckin

#4 posted 09-05-2020 10:21 PM

I have two sets of these.Like them but u will need to get more if u set them more than 3 wall joints wide.My 1 1/8 planks are starting to sagg.

View EarlS's profile (online now)

EarlS

#5 posted 09-06-2020 11:53 AM

I forgot to mention the sag issue on 8’ boards. I’ve been intending to order another set to handle it.

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#6 posted 09-06-2020 02:19 PM

How far apart did you space them? I wonder if simply moving the supports 1 or 2 studs closer together would minimize any sagging? In your picture at least it looks like you only have a few inches of overhang on the ends. According to the sagulator a 6’ span of 8” white oak for example should only sag about 0.01” and that doesn’t account for the ends overhanging. How much sag are you seeing?

View tmasondarnell's profile

tmasondarnell

#7 posted 09-06-2020 04:29 PM

I had 1 set and had the sag problem, but really liked the system. So I ordered 2 more sets, thinking I would have 1 rack every 16 inches.

Unfortunately, none of the sets will line up with one another. I spent a very frustrating day in the shop/ I could get the top shelves aligned but as I moved down an started comparing the lower bars, I would find variations as much as 1/4” among the individual bars.