A major shop upgrade

Review by ic3ss posted 08-25-2020 11:11 PM 2615 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A major shop upgrade A major shop upgrade A major shop upgrade Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was able to save some cash and bought a SawStop 3hp PCS last year. I sold my trusty old Unisaw to a buddy. I bought it right after I moved into our new house and it sat sadly in the box for over three months while I was traveling for work until I could get to it. I had a new toy that I couldn’t play with. My 3 car garage/future shop was full of boxes and disassembled tools, my bench was in pieces, it was a mess. I was in woodworker Hell.

Well I’ve been using it since about April now, about five month or so and I’m really happy with it except for one thing. I bought a dust collector, a Jet DC-1100. I have it hooked up to the 4” port on the bottom of the cabinet with a 4” flex hose, Rockler Dustright, and it goes to the DC 4” port. The saw came with the saw blade cover that uses a vacuum hose attachment, but I don’t have a way to connect that so it’s not being used. In this configuration I’ve found a whole bunch of sawdust inside the cabinet on the floor that I sucked up the other day. There was about an inch or so on the bottom floor. way more than I thought would collect in that time. The other thing is that without the saw blade cover and vacuum attached, it kicks back just as much sawdust as my unisaw on the top.

I’d like to get the over arm vacuum attachment for the saw blade cover but it’s like $350. I’m very interested in how much difference in dust collection it will make.

Anyway, the saw is great. I readily recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for looking,

Wayne

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#1 posted 08-26-2020 04:32 AM

Hate you ic3... thanks for rubbing it in!

Wood love one!

#2 posted 08-26-2020 11:58 AM

I’ve had my saw a couple of years now. I have a delta 1.5 hp collector. With it connected directly to the saw base it does okay. It collects maybe 90% of stuff. If I connect it into my system, about 12 ft away it doesn’t do much. I figure it’s a product of the collector power not the saw. I don’t have the upper blade hose connected, but it does spit sawdust like any other saw. Dust collection is always a success/fail work in progress for me.

BTW… you’re gonna love the saw for sure.

View iminmyshop's profile

iminmyshop

#3 posted 08-27-2020 01:11 PM

A Sawstop has been in my shop for almost 10 years. It is a terrific saw in all respects except, as you point out, dust collection. A few months ago I added the Sawstop overarm vacuum attachment and it definitely helps in dust collection. But, even here, if you are cutting just the very edge off a piece, there is still lots of dust. It also interferes with use of a pushstick if the blade is close to the the fence which happens pretty often.

-- http://www.alansfinewoodworking.com/

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 08-27-2020 01:35 PM

The dust collection on almost all tablesaws could be improved especially.on top if you ‘re taking a small slice.

#5 posted 08-27-2020 01:36 PM

- iminmyshop

The unit blocking the fence… I’ve experienced that. I found that If I raise the blade up the dust collection cowling clears the fence and I can get it close.

View HarveyM's profile

HarveyM

#6 posted 08-27-2020 02:19 PM

I experienced the same dust collection problem with mine, especially with zero clearance inserts. I ‘solved’ it by using a cheap shopvac on the blade guard. Much better

-- Just a Duffer

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#7 posted 08-30-2020 02:12 PM

The majority of the dust from a cut gets pulled or falls into the dust shroud beneath the blade. Some, doesn’t make it into the shroud and falls to the cabinet floor. Depending on your perspective, an inch after 5 months or so is or isn’t a lot. As for overarm collection, I bought it as an accessory when I got the saw 7 yrs ago. I never use it anymore. Sawstop produced a great saw but got it wrong with this accessory. The suction draw is woeful at best. If you do decide to get it, consider redesigning the fittings. Sawstop gives you a 90 degree tee off of the dust port. It should be a 45 or at least a wide sweep 90. Another alternative, as mentioned by someone above, is to have the overarm collection on a separate means of collection, such as a shop-vac.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View smoknjoe44's profile

smoknjoe44

#8 posted 09-04-2020 11:50 PM

Nice buy. I’m probably going to purchase one this weekend. How was it go get loaded and unloaded from the truck?

#9 posted 09-05-2020 12:58 AM

Nice buy. I m probably going to purchase one this weekend. How was it go get loaded and unloaded from the truck?

- smoknjoe44

When I got mine last year It was fortunate that Woodcraft had a lift at the rear of their store. Two guys had a real time to push it into my truck after it was up in the air. When I got home (I’m 65) I was a bit concerned and contemplated waiting for my nephew for help. I put a couple of planks off the back of the tailgate and slid the two boxes to the ground. I then pushed them across the driveway a few feet and use the same planks to slide them up the four steps to the inside of the shop. It was an effort but actually went better than I had inticipated. So, It’s doable with one person. A couple would be better. The advertised weight is 449 lbs. Two boxes though. I’d say that the weight is probably split 60/40 between the two.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#10 posted 09-06-2020 02:23 PM

smoknjoe44:

They had a forklift at the back of the store, he picked it up from the dock and set it in the truck bed. When I got home I unloaded it by myself also. I’d rather not go into too much detail but it involved a box knife, a come-along, and a desk chair. I don’t want the “safety experts” on the forum to nail me so I’ll just say that it would have been nice to have a second person.

Good Luck!

Wayne

View Newbie17's profile

Newbie17

#11 posted 12-03-2020 02:23 AM

If anyone is one the fence about this saw, go for it. I doubt you’ll have buyer’s remorse. Especially if you accidentally bang your finger against the blade. I’m not a fan of the fence, but I know I’m in the minority. Personally, I recommend the folding out feed table and the router table attachment. I’ve come to appreciate the additional length the router table has added to the table saw.

View jgred's profile

jgred

#12 posted 12-03-2020 03:42 AM

I also recently bought the 3hp PCS with 52” table and out feed table. Highly recommend.

Buy it with the industrial mobile base.