For a fistful of shekels.

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 08-18-2020 12:52 PM 1146 views 0 times favorited 40 comments Add to Favorites Watch
For a fistful of shekels. For a fistful of shekels. For a fistful of shekels. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

This is my response to pottzy’s review of the Bosch Dual-Mode Orbital sander.

I couldn’t make a supportive comment as I haven’t experienced a Bosch attack and it would have been totally unfair to say anything negative, so I decided to back up my opinion with this ”review“ of the Fe$tool ROTEX.

Yes, it is expensive(er), as I spell it with the $, however, just remember you cannot buy a Rolls in Kmart, unless it’s a baloney roll.

Rather than go into all the pros of the ROTEX, as it has already been covered by other reviews here at LJ,

Even though the reviews are old, the ROTEX hasn’t aged and what was said in 2008 is still hard to compete with in 2020.

You can click on the above links for the standard drivel, however, I’m going to feed a little hype that the above two didn’t address.

Beside the quick switch between ROTEX (heavy) and ROS (gentler), like most Fe$tool tools, has a detachable cord,

that can be shared with other Fe$tool family,

While on a sander it may not be as critical as for a router, it is a handy gimmick if you want to park the sander some distance from the work without unplugging the juice feeding end or want to use another sander (no idea why) without a plethora of cords.

Something that is not openly advertised is this gizmo I call the duckbill

and for those that don’t know what a duckbill looks like, be glad I didn’t say a platypus’s bill…

It provides a more comfortable grip and greater control especially in the ROTEX mode, though you do need a second hand. Did I tell you that the beluga whale knob provides good control one handed in the ROS setting… yes I have, now!

It can be fitted with a swag of different textured pads from soft, medium and hard,

and this handy buffing pad,

(if you like buffing… which I do). The buffer comes in the kit, however, the additional textured sanding pads are an optional extra (I think it comes with the medium and I bought the soft and hard as add ons).

Now a lot may poo-poo the systainers,

much like I did years ago and shied away from Fe$tool because of them. All my early Fe$tool purchases were “seconds” that didn’t come in a systainer.

But then I tamed that mongrel … and now systainers are a welcome addition to my workshop… though that welcome is reserved for the SYS2 T-LOC only,

and the old style be buggered,

I consider the ROTEX better than the rest, including other Fe$tool sanders… certainly better than most, but may be comparable with the Bosch (the pottzy review), more often losing the race purely because of the cost.
However, when you consider the ROTEX’s extras,
  • Duckbill.
  • Detachable cord.
  • Stackable systainer.
  • Versatile pads.

that gap may not be as big as “Terry Thomas’s teeth… and it looks better.

Just to repeat, when comparing Fe$tool with other brands, “most” people would agree it’s better, however, that same “most” people might question whether the extra cost is worth that “better”… only the depth of your pocket and maybe SWMBO holding the purse strings will be the ultimate judge.

I may not have class, however, that doesn’t preclude my tools.

Nevertheless, between the ROTEX and my Jet drum sander, this Fe$tool belt sander is now virtually redundant,

It’d never be shelved if I bought a Bosch… maybe that “cost saving” is worth considering.

#1 posted 08-18-2020 01:18 PM

Closest I could find to Festool Green. ; )

And you sir have plenty of class. Anyone who can turn a phrase like you is worthy of his tools….

#2 posted 08-18-2020 01:37 PM

Closest I could find to Festool Green. ; )

- RCCinNC

Close RCCin but when it comes to speed, I got it beat

your’s only mows down 1 or 2 pedestrians at a time… mine mows millions!

Now the ROTEX would wipe the smile of the owner’s face.

#3 posted 08-18-2020 02:48 PM

well touche mr duck for the rebuttal.you made some good points but for the extra 300+ dollars it still doesn’t work for me.not being a duck myself i dont need the duck bill the bosch has a rubber pad on top and with the side handle it is very easy to control.removable cord not needed as most tools dont have that.systainer also not needed since most cases or boxes tools come in get tossed due to space requirements.as far as those versatile pads i believe bosch offers those also,havn’t looked into that yet,probably never will.so your point’s have failed to sway me sir so i will spend my left over money and buy some wine as RCCinNC suggested.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#4 posted 08-18-2020 07:05 PM

OK – I’m not advocating either way but just a few thoughts:
1) The only unmentioned differences so far between these 2 fine tools is that The RO150 has a RO stroke of 5mm vs 4.5mm for the Bosch. My guess is that this is pretty much a wash. The other item is that the Bosch is over 12% heavier at 5.7# vs 5.07# for the Festool. Just putting his out there for those shopping.
2) Full disclosure I have a Festool RO90 and A 6” Bosch ROS. I LOVE both and I am a fan of both manufacturers. That said I get tired of the Festool bashers out there, Festool is $$$ but they wouldn’t be in business, and as successful if they didn’t offer a reason to part with all that hard earned cash. I fully appreciate the law of diminishing returns when investing in tools, cars, audio equipment whatever. If you are a casual user of a tool or have only a limited need for a particular tool then by all means save a few bucks and buy something in the middle of the pack but if you use a tool a lot and it is important for the outcome of your type of work then investing in a higher end – i.e. finer tool makes sense. Nobody sees my tools so they could care less if I’m using a green or red or purple or yellow tool; there is no incentive to spend on an expensive tool other than for the pure enjoyment it may offer or if it allows you to create a better product in the end. To each his (her) own.

-- Cheap is expensive! - my Dad

#5 posted 08-18-2020 09:30 PM

im a festool user myself i own a domino which i love and one of there sanders,in this case i went for the bosch purely for the price difference considering the tools are pretty equal.

#6 posted 08-18-2020 09:54 PM

- pottz

...and because you could go to the wine store and stock up with the money you saved… Utter genius… ; )

#7 posted 08-18-2020 10:12 PM

- RCCinNC

i had said to get more sanding disc’s but you knew i meant wine ;-)

#8 posted 08-18-2020 11:33 PM

.... as most tools dont have that.systainer also not needed since…
- pottz

Most people don’t have $10,000,000… I suppose your right, they just don’t need it.

Some cars are Manwell while other cars are Otto, they both perform similar operations, however, far more people pay Otto those extra shekels to do the same task.

Back in 1980, when I used to drive a beat up Holden, I had the chance to drive a real Roll-Royce (an RF friend of the in-laws)... shit the drive wasn’t 1,000 times better (the cost difference) than the Holden, but even my alcohol soaked brain appreciated the difference and here we are arguing a much smaller fractional difference.
At the end of the day, all the anti Fe$tool arguments are about penny pinching (ok $ gouging) justification and not the absolute quality of the tool… but then there’s no arguing with Philistines. David killed Goliath with a pebble, but just imagine the damage he could’ve done with a SAM.

so i will spend my left over money and buy some wine as RCCinNC suggested.
- pottz

Now THAT is a valid argiument.

- RCCinNC

Some may drive in the bottle shop in their beat up VW, while I prefer to purchase my cheap casks from the luxury of my air-conditioned vehicle.

#9 posted 08-19-2020 12:04 AM

Well said OWW, jokes aside, you present a great POV…

It’s only the tools I wield that permit me to make some of the stuff I do and not my ability.

.... I fully appreciate the law of diminishing returns when investing in tools, cars, audio equipment whatever….
- OnhillWW

And to all you skeptics… Of all the people that own a Mona Lisa, not too many wouldn’t be sitting in front staring at it 24×7.

#10 posted 08-19-2020 12:11 AM

- pottz

Bet you think you and Brad Pitt are pretty equal, yet your missus married you… go figure.

#11 posted 08-19-2020 12:42 AM

why do festool guys get so pissed off by those that dont think there worth the money,maybe because there trying to justify to themselves the money was well spent? hey ive got a couple and it doesn’t bother me some think there over priced.in this case as ive said for the two sanders being of equal performance i went with the bosch.hell if it only lasts half as long as the festool im still good.

#12 posted 08-19-2020 01:21 AM

- pottz

Because we realise this world is also populated by inferior people.

By the way, why do pottzys get pissed off when they are compared with Brad Pitt in the negative.

PS. Here’s a blank cheque towards your next Fe$tool purchase,

#13 posted 08-19-2020 01:24 AM

Kind of ironic given all the Ryobi tools you got LBD… ; )-
And Brad Pitt’s got nothing on Pottz. He told me so himself, and I believe him.

#14 posted 08-19-2020 01:37 AM

#15 posted 08-19-2020 01:38 AM

Kind of ironic given all the Ryobi tools you got LBD… ; )-
- RCCinNC

That’s only ‘cause I have a shitload of bloody expensive Ryobi batteries. I keep Ryobi for all those insignificant, pissant tasks that don’t matter… much like my few Bosch tools which are hidden behind my Ryobi.

And Brad Pitt’s got nothing on Pottz. He told me so himself, and I believe him.
- RCCinNC

That’s what Mrs. pottzy told me… but then again many times I’ve got into trouble from jealous husbands before demanding to know under what circumstances their missus disclosed any info about them… so I won’t say it… he can remain the pretty Mr. PITA.