Dado Master Stacks Up Against the Best (and Sawstop Approved)

Review by pintodeluxe posted 08-11-2020 05:30 PM 1454 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dado Master Stacks Up Against the Best (and Sawstop Approved) Dado Master Stacks Up Against the Best (and Sawstop Approved) Dado Master Stacks Up Against the Best (and Sawstop Approved) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I like to use a dado blade for cutting hardwood joinery like tenons and half-lap joints. Most dado blades I’ve used do a good job at cutting grooves in plywood. Likewise, this set does a great job in plywood and sheet goods. To me though, the true test of a dado blade is how it tackles hardwood joinery.

With the Dado Master you get a crisp, clean shoulder with no exit tearout. Even in tricky woods like white oak it performed admirably. When cutting wide tenons that require multiple passes, all dado blades will leave scoring lines, however the Dado Master scoring lines are very faint. Much better than other premium sets in this regard, with no perceptible “Bat Ears” in the joint.

The shoulder of the cut was remarkably clean, with no imperfections that will show in the finished product. The chippers provided have four large carbide teeth, and cut cleaner than other two-tooth chipper sets I’ve used. What surprised me is the cut quality was on par with the six-tooth chipper set I have.

Many dado sets are not approved by Sawstop due to anti-kickback teeth or full diameter chippers. The design of the Ridge Carbide Dado Master luckily is approved by Sawstop, and I had no trouble with it on my Sawstop PCS.

Cut quality shown here… (please note the tearout fuzz is from my CHOPSAW BLADE NOT THE DADO MASTER!!!)

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#1 posted 08-11-2020 07:01 PM

Love my Ridge Carbide thin kerf blade. Beautiful cuts. I’ll have to look at this one someday.

#2 posted 08-12-2020 01:53 PM

Cool! I’ve been looking for something to replace my Freud set, which does ok for cabinets, but like you, I like to use the dado for joinery, it it does not do so well on joinery… thanks for sharing

#3 posted 08-12-2020 04:49 PM

Yeah, put the Dado Master on the list of new blades to consider. It does a great job on hardwood tenons, half laps and rabbets.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#4 posted 08-12-2020 04:55 PM

Adding to favorites for the day that I actually need it. Right now it goes on the “nice to have” list.

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View stevejack's profile

stevejack

#5 posted 08-13-2020 10:07 AM

I have a Flat bottom cut full kerf and a Thin Kerf Combination blade from RC and they are the best blades I have ever used. I wish I could afford their Dado blade! Saving up for one.

#6 posted 08-21-2020 10:54 PM

I forgot to mention in the review, this set does come with one 3/32” chipper and one 1/16” chipper for easy shim-free undersized plywood dados.

#7 posted 08-25-2020 12:36 PM

Yesterday I took receipt of mine. Its pretty good looking, but have not tried it out yet. The biggest surprise was that it does not come with a storage case!!! My old Freud come with a pretty nice case that I always use. You’d think Ridge Carbide would be able to throw in a little plastic case to protect all that nice carbide! Did yours come with a case, Willie?

#8 posted 08-25-2020 03:32 PM

No, mine didn’t come with a case either. It comes with a cardboard box with a plastic handle that works ok for short term storage. It has shaped foam inside to protect the blades.

Ultimately you’ll want to buy or build a case.

#9 posted 08-28-2020 04:25 AM

Problem solved, I built one!

#10 posted 08-28-2020 04:34 AM

Problem solved, I built one!

- PPK

Pictures please!

#11 posted 08-28-2020 04:43 AM

#12 posted 08-28-2020 05:13 AM

Nice case Pete,
You thought of everything! Great design.

View sansoo22's profile

sansoo22

#13 posted 08-28-2020 06:35 AM

This might have to jump up on my list of things to buy next. My DeWalt set is fine for cabinets and shelves but that’s been about it. Exit tear out and the “Bat Ears” are starting to get on my nerves a bit.

View ChipByrd's profile

ChipByrd

#14 posted 09-02-2020 09:32 AM

Hey Pinto, do you like this better than the Dadonator?

#15 posted 09-02-2020 05:20 PM

Hey Pinto, do you like this better than the Dadonator?

- ChipByrd

So I consider the Dado Master and the Dadonator both ultra premium blades. Focus was given in the design and manufacture of both to ensure that scoring lines are minimum, and cut quality is top notch. They both handle hardwood joinery very well. They both make clean cuts in cabinet plywood.

The main difference is the chippers. The Dadonator uses 6-tooth chippers, and the Dado Master has 4-tooth chippers. Interestingly, this difference didn’t translate to cut quality. Neither suffers from exit chipout, as long as feed rate is reasonable.

Finally, the Dado Master is approved for Sawstop use, but the Dadonator is not. The full body chippers are very heavy and Sawstop recommends not using this style of dado blade for two reasons…
1. The dado set as a whole has too much mass, so the safety brake may not be as effective.
2. Brake activation on a Sawstop with the incorrect dado blade may bend saw arbor and void saw warranty.

So with those things in mind, I would recommend the Dado Master. I use a Sawstop, so that’s an important part of the decision for me.