3 1/2" - 6 Cutter Carbide Carving Disk for Angle Grinder

Review by Jim Jakosh posted 08-09-2020 11:48 PM 1288 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
3 1/2" -  6 Cutter  Carbide Carving Disk for Angle Grinder 3 1/2" -  6 Cutter  Carbide Carving Disk for Angle Grinder 3 1/2" -  6 Cutter  Carbide Carving Disk for Angle Grinder Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this disk on E bay trying to find a less expensive disk that would last longer than the one with the Carbide chips that I bought from Harbor Freight:

It lasted for about 5 slabs and then started burning and I could not clean it to work any more.
I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Teeth-Wood-Carving-Disc-Tool-Milling-Cutter-for-Opening-Aperture-Angle-Grinder/233647500898?hash=item366679ee62:g:W60AAOSwL7VfCBzF and it really works good. I like it because I can sharpen the carbide inserts withe a diamond hole if it gets dull. It is aggressive and you need the work clamped securely.

The problem I found with it is mounting it firmly on the angle grinder. It has 5/8” hole in it and a relief in the front but the back would not fit against the wide part of the washer like a sanding or grinding disk and the nut would not fit in the relief in the front. So I bored out the back to 7/8” to go on the washer in the back and bored out the front to accept the round nut.

I could have taken the washer off but that would leave just about a 3/4” surface to mount the disk to and the threaded shaft would stick out a lot longer and might rub the work.

It all worked out fine with the 2 modifications

Then I looked a the 8 points of the instructions and they are interpreted in English on the right side. The 5th one was amusing: Set the depth of cut to be deeper than the thickness of the lumber….in other words cut through it! I don’t think that is the real translation but I don’t read Chinese.It sounds like an instruction for a table saw blade.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#1 posted 08-10-2020 12:34 AM

Good luck with it Jim. About a month ago I was looking at this one and a few others like it. Good to know how it fits in the grinder, I’ll have to keep that in mind. Was going to use it to hog off parts of a log for some heavy carving.
You got to love the instructions.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 08-10-2020 12:35 AM

Thanks for the review, Jim.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View James E McIntyre's profile

James E McIntyre

#3 posted 08-10-2020 01:25 AM

Thanks for the review Jim
I’m going to need a similar tool for stools I plan to build in the future.

I’ll need to hog out a type of scoop in the seat.

What speed angle grinder works best with this tool?

I had bad luck with eBay. A Chinese company was selling a dewalt pin nailer for $19.00 and never sent it. eBay refunded my $ an then blocked my account. In other words I was the bad guy.

I’ll never buy from them again. That was 3 years ago. Any suggestions on where to get this type of grinder wheel from a reputable seller.
Money is not a problem if I get a good product.

-- James E McIntyre

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 08-10-2020 10:45 AM

I have tried a couple of disks like this. The Kutzall disk works very well .

#5 posted 08-10-2020 12:29 PM

Ni Dave. I will hog off the wood. have it held tight!! You have to watch the ones on E bay. Some have carbide cutters and some say Alloy..whatever that might mean.

Hi James. My grinder runs at 11.000 rpm..that is why I wanted it seated well.
Look here for a top quality disk: https://kutzall.com/
Here is another: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/king-arthur-tools-lancelot-woodcarving-disc-22-teeth-5-8-arbor.
Home Depot, Woodcraft and Lee Valley have some of the best ones too

But they will be more money. Finishing up with those flapped sanding wheels works very good too.

#6 posted 08-10-2020 05:12 PM

Hi James. My grinder runs at 11.000 rpm..that is why I wanted it seated well.
Look here for a top quality disk: https://kutzall.com/
Home Depot, Woodcraft and Lee Valley have some of the best ones too

- Jim Jakosh

be real careful using those lancelot disc’s i watched a review stumpy nubs did on those and ill never touch one myself,he severly tore his hand up,check it out before you use one.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#7 posted 08-10-2020 05:21 PM

View James E McIntyre's profile

James E McIntyre

#8 posted 08-10-2020 05:44 PM

be real careful using those lancelot disc s i watched a review stumpy nubs did on those and ill never touch one myself,he severly tore his hand up,check it out before you use one.

- pottz

Thanks for the information Jim

Now I know why he’s called Stumpy Nubs.

-- James E McIntyre

View tyvekboy's profile

tyvekboy

2045 posts in 3861 days

#9 posted 08-10-2020 07:15 PM

The carving disk that I like is called the HOLEY GALAHAD by King Author Tools and fits on my angle grinder. It has holes in it that let you see through it while you work. I got the course one at Woodcraft back in 2013 for $75 on sale. It’s now around $100 at Woodcraft and a little less on Amazon. I got it mainly for carving the seat for my rocker. It’s pricy but I really like it. They come in course, medium and fine grits. Works fast and should last a long time. It has carbide cones on it.

-- Tyvekboy -- Marietta, GA ………….. one can never be too organized

#10 posted 08-10-2020 07:51 PM

- Jim Jakosh

yes,and it did a great job trimming stumpies finger nails-lol.

#11 posted 08-10-2020 07:55 PM

The carving disk that I like is called the HOLEY GALAHAD by King Author Tools and fits on my angle grinder. It has holes in it that let you see through it while you work. I got the course one at Woodcraft back in 2013 for $75 on sale. It s now around $100 at Woodcraft and a little less on Amazon. I got it mainly for carving the seat for my rocker. It s pricy but I really like it. They come in course, medium and fine grits. Works fast and should last a long time. It has carbide cones on it.

ive got the kutzall looks just like it but doesn’t have the viewing hole,a little cheaper around 60.i used it to scoop out the seat on a rocker i did.

- tyvekboy

#12 posted 08-10-2020 07:58 PM

I have seen a Holey Galahad being used and they are real nice carving tools.

Jim

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

#13 posted 08-12-2020 02:19 AM

Jim, I have the Arbortech, has several cutters. It can do some serious carving. Fits on a grinder.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

#14 posted 08-12-2020 12:43 PM

Hi Tony. That looks along the line of the one I bought but probably a of better quality. I bought the one I did for price and because I can sharpen it.

Cheer Jim

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

#15 posted 08-15-2020 08:52 PM

Good to know about. Thanks.

_
SIDE NOTES

I, LONG AGO, started buying only variable speed angle grinders for their greatly improved versatility. For example, my angle grinder is my router, grinder and polisher for granite, because I can slow the speed down.

The foregoing aside, I bought a REALLY cheap version of the HOLEY GALAHAD, but which had no holes. The inset diameter for the spanner nut was too small, so I had to take the nut it over to the bench grinder and sander and knock off at least 3/32nds. I works fine now and worked a whole lot quicker than my hand rasps for easing into a rocker seat of a rocker I’m repairing for my nephew.

Hey, for twenty bucks versus seventy.