Woodpecker's Misleading Ad

Review by KDCAT posted 08-09-2020 06:52 PM 1186 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodpecker's Misleading Ad No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I made my first foray into the world of Woodpecker’s tools this week by ordering an Ultra Shear Parting Tool online in Canada. Their ad (see: https://kjpselecthardwoods.com/products/ultrashearpartingtool) is titled, “Ultra Shear Parting Tool’, and shows a picture of the tool, a description of how it’s used along with an attached video showing it in use. Shipping was over $12. What arrived at my home was a flat, pea sized insert for the tool, in an outrageously sized box, but no parting tool (this insert could have been mailed in a standard envelope for a buck and a half). I called to follow up on it and was told the ad is for the insert only and I got what I ordered. To add insult to my injury, I’d have to pay shipping again to return the item. I complained to the parent company Woodpecker in the US to no avail. Be careful in your dealings with this company, their ads can’t be trusted.

View KDCAT's profile

KDCAT

View BobHinden's profile

BobHinden

#1 posted 08-09-2020 07:49 PM

I looked at the link to the ad you sent and the same product on the main Woodpecker site:

The woodpeck.com site is much clearer as to what you are buying. Easy to see how you would think you are getting the whole tool and not just an insert.

Bob

-- Bob Hinden / San Francisco Bay Area

View Rich's profile

Rich

#2 posted 08-09-2020 08:02 PM

It appears you ordered the insert, not the complete tool. Clearly Woodpeckers won’t help you because you didn’t order it from them.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View paulLumberJock's profile

paulLumberJock

#3 posted 08-10-2020 02:26 PM

Why not just buy the whole parting tool and consider the insert that you already have as a spare?
I know it’s frustrating to get something in the mail that’s different than what you expected, but
in this case, did you expect to get a Woodpecker’s parting tool for only $20? That should have
aroused your suspicions right there.

I recently special ordered a washing machine. The dumb thing arrived and it needed 220 Volts to run it.
And of course, it was a different 220V plug than the dryer uses. Huge pain in the rear to run another 220V line,
but once that aggravation was done, I just moved on with life. I was in a similar situation, return shipping and
restocking fee made it impractical to return the washer.. And yes, I Was mad for a day too. Try to look at the big picture, we all make mistakes, don’t let it ruin your mood.

View pottz's profile

pottz

#4 posted 08-10-2020 05:21 PM

yeah i agree their ad was misleading and the woodpeckers ad is very clear as to what your getting,i been there myself but hey do as paullumberjock suggested and but the tool itself.woodpeckers tools arn’t cheap but 12 bucks to ship the tip only is crazy.welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this it might help some else avoid the same problem.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View KDCAT's profile

KDCAT

#5 posted 08-10-2020 06:18 PM

The tip ended up costing me $56 (Canadian) with tax and shipping, not $20 as you suggested. My point here is this ad didn’t indicate I was buying only an insert. It lead me to think I was getting a parting tool, for which I was happy to pay that amount. So now I have to pay again to send this unwanted insert back. The ad is misleading. I don’t expect life to be always fair but I did expect fairness from Woodpeckers.

View Rich's profile

Rich

#6 posted 08-10-2020 06:50 PM

The ad is misleading. I don t expect life to be always fair but I did expect fairness from Woodpeckers.

- KDCAT

I can tell you what’s misleading; your post and its title. That was not a Woodpecker’s ad. It was a photo of a Woodpecker tool on a product page on a retailer’s web site. Woodpecker had nothing to do with what you bought since you didn’t order directly from them. Frankly, I found the ad on the site you posted to be very clear and not at all misleading. The option for the complete tool appears to be unavailable and you bought an item labeled “Parting Tool Insert – Square” (for a ridiculously high price—even at CAD exchange rates).

The fact that you read it wrong does not mean it was misleading.

Caveat emptor.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#7 posted 08-10-2020 07:25 PM

I don’t mean to pile on, but have to agree with Rich.

Also, here are the options available to buy:

When you add the only available item, the insert, to your cart you see this which includes an image of the insert:

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#8 posted 08-10-2020 07:26 PM

Like lot of turners have an assortment of HSS parting tools. Have this tool thin parting tool which cost less back when bought it: https://www.packardwoodworks.com/tools-crn-pt.html

They call these thin blade parting tools tenoning tools:

Do you really need a carbide tip or exotic steel parting tool? Only you can answer that question. For my money any brand, shape, or size parting tool made from HSS works!

-- Bill

View pottz's profile

pottz

#9 posted 08-10-2020 07:49 PM

the way the ad was presented i might have made the same mistake,i agree with rich it wasn’t woodpeckers fault or their responsibility to correct it.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#10 posted 08-11-2020 01:46 PM

I have always found Woodpecker to be an excellent company to deal with. They are expensive and maybe everyone doesn’t need their fancy tools, but they are great people. I met them at several shows and, if not satisfied with a product, they always make good. It only happened to me once and they gave me the new and improved version of what I had purchased. I can’t say enough good about the company…other than they are really expensive! Their tools are precision instruments and have always been perfectly made.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

#11 posted 08-11-2020 11:53 PM

I have to agree with Rich and Wildwood. It looks clear to me, especially when you select the option. And it’s NOT a Woodpeckers ad, it’s a re-seller. My beef with it was when you purchase it directly from Woodpeckers the only option is the tool with the fluted insert and I had to buy the square insert extra because that’s the one I needed. The extra cutter was only $19.99 USD.

-- NorthWoodsMan

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#12 posted 08-12-2020 05:37 AM

Yeah it seems clear enough to me that you are ordering the insert. The tool is X’d out. This one is not on KJP.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#13 posted 08-13-2020 02:19 PM

Ellen35, no one is knocking Woodpecker tools, if OP had gone to their web page for a complete parting tool versus just a carbide cutter that store in Ottawa sells think review would be lot different.

Before NAFTA cost of shipping between US & CA pretty reasonable. Guess OP found that out! Pretty sure if he had went to Woodpecker site entire tool & shipping lot more reasonable.

Carbide turning tools lot more expensive than average HSS tools. $80. for a complete carbide parting tool actually pretty reasonable. Same goes for price of those other carbide cutters Woodpecker provides. There are other US turning tools vendors selling complete line of Woodpecker carbide turning tools too.

Have never found need for a carbide parting tool myself and think less expensive HSS parting tools will serve any woodturner well! Others that own carbide parting tools whether Woodpeckers or other brands swear by them.

-- Bill

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#14 posted 08-13-2020 05:07 PM

Wildwood, I didn’t say he was knocking Woodpecker tools. I was just pointing out that they stand behind their products. I totally agree with you. Buy from the manufacturer when possible; then you get the full warranty and service.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire