A lot of thought went into the ergonomics and engineering

Review by sansoo22 posted 08-08-2020 05:43 AM 1072 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A lot of thought went into the ergonomics and engineering A lot of thought went into the ergonomics and engineering A lot of thought went into the ergonomics and engineering Click the pictures to enlarge them

There was a post back in January about the Woodpecker One-Time Corner Plane. I was one of the few that thought it was an excellent idea. After all I do have a Stanley 95 in near mint condition for putting on crispy corners so why not have a dedicated plane to soften them. So I ordered one and agreed to review it when I got it. I’ve been playing around with this thing on just about every species of scrap stock in my lumber rack and I must say I really enjoy using it.

Lets start with an exploded view of the tool and everything you receive.

In the box is the plane, a single cutter, a wall hanging bracket cuz you paid a premium for this tool so why not, hardware for your premium wall hangy thing, an allen key, and a tool for installing cutters. After all you can swap out cutters if you ordered extras.

My package came with 3 round overs in 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 in as well as a chamfering cutter.

As you can see in the image above there is not a lot to the tool. Each cutter has a threaded end that you slip a washer on. Then put on the left hand threaded knurled wheel, a copper washer, and another washer. The wheel has a spring on it and thus the installation tool compresses the spring and bottom washer to let you drop the cutter right in. Finish it up by installing the excessive amount of allen keyed screws. Now you are in business.

The most impressive part of this tool is the adjustments of the cutter. Setting depth is super easy. Bring the cutter down until it barely touches your stock. Lift the plane and use your thumb at the bottom of the wheel and rotate up until your thumb makes contact with the body. Then take a pass. Repeat the thumb movement and take another pass. It was really that stupid simple to dial it in. A lot of thought went in to the engineering of the depth adjuster size and thread pitch.

Two passes will add that very soft round over to an edge while keeping the nice crisp look to it. I can see this coming in handy quite a bit.

The tool is easiest to use in a pushing motion and even has a notch in the top for your index finger but it can also be used quite comfortably in a pull direction as well. When using it in a pull direction I did have to pay more attention to keeping it properly registered with my stock. In the push direction it just glides along without issue.

Now on to the cons. The first is the angle of the cutters won’t work so well on all end grain. They work well on maple and old growth pine that have nice tight grain. When goofing off on some construction douglas fir it did not do so well. A low angle block will out perform it in this category. But honestly I don’t think I will ever use this tool on construction grade lumber. So not as much a con as a warning to not expect magic.

The big con for me I mulled over all day because it feels like I’m being picky but then again Woodpecker is a premium line so I do expect a little more from them. To show I’m not being completely OCD I did give them a pass for delayed shipping. COVID is still a thing so no big deal.

The part that bugs me is the cutters showing up with some very small rust spots, having dried out grease, and what I call general machine shop junk in the threads.

Rust spots on the 1/8 cutter. They all have them

Junk in the threads

Even the 1/8 cutter that was installed in the plane had junk in the threads. When I stripped the tool down I could feel grit in the threads when I removed the knurled wheel. So whoever assembled this knew the cutters were not clean and shiny as I feel they should have been.

This isn’t an issue I’ve had with Woodpeckers in the past but I feel justified knocking a star for otherwise outstanding tool due to fit and finish.

With a little more attention to detail on the cutters this would no doubt be a 5 star tool.

View sansoo22's profile

-- Petey

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#2 posted 08-09-2020 10:46 AM

Great review sansoo... Still not convinced that I need one though a “shiny” new red plane sounds tempting…

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

#3 posted 08-10-2020 01:57 AM

I have a couple Woodpecker One-Time tools and while a bit pricey do the intended job very well. My question on this one is since it is a one-time tool, what would you do for replacement cutters down the road couple years?
Steve.

View sansoo22's profile

sansoo22

#4 posted 08-10-2020 04:54 PM

Steve.

- SteveMI

In a pre COVID world Woodpeckers had stated the cutters would still be available even after the one-time tool production run was complete. I did notice all cutters are listed as out of stock on their site though. I guess I wait and see what happens now.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#5 posted 08-11-2020 02:31 PM

I used a roundover plane for some time and found it had some shortcomings. If you aren’t careful it can dig into the edge or tip one way or the other resulting in a messed up edge. I came to the conclusion that I can get better results in about the same amount of time with a small trim router.

Woodpeckers sells some really expensive stuff (yes I have some) but their quality (and to some extent the design considerations) has certainly diminished over the past few years. I doubt I will buy anything from them in the near future. I can find most of their items elsewhere for less $$ and quality that is every bit as good, or better.