Astonishing Cut Quality

Review by pintodeluxe posted 08-07-2020 08:50 PM 996 views 0 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Astonishing Cut Quality Astonishing Cut Quality Astonishing Cut Quality Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been intrigued by these large diameter spiral flush trimming bits for a while now. I’ve used plenty of spiral bits, both upcut and downcut variety, but wanted to add some large diameter spirals to my arsenal. This is the Whiteside UDC9112 which is compression style spiral bit for clean top and bottom edges. You can get this in a top bearing, bottom bearing or combo bearing like this one. I chose the combo bearing for a wider variety of applications.

So how does it work? It trims whispers from hardwood like a delicate shave with a sharp razor. Honestly, the shavings that come off your workpiece look very different. Fine whispy curls of hardwood like they came off a finely tuned hand plane. Cut quality is fantastic. No tearout. No fear of grain direction. Clean cuts top and bottom.

I think the compression spiral technology, along with the large 7/8” diameter work together here to make such a nice cut. I most always run a handheld router counterlockwise around a board to avoid a climb cut. However, this bit handles a climb cut without any drama. I experimented with router RPM, and this large diameter bit ran best at speed 4 out of 6 (which would be somewhere around 15,000-16,000 RPM). Another thing I noted is the bit was quieter than my straight bits. You’d probably want to use a 2+h.p. router for handheld work. Any router table with a 1/2” collet will accept this bit.

Is it as big as it looks?
Here’s the Ultimate Flush Trim bit next to a 1/4” upcut spiral bit for comparison.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#1 posted 08-07-2020 09:58 PM

...and all for the low low price of $175.00

Very good review Willie. Much appreciated.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

#2 posted 08-07-2020 10:09 PM

Great review pinto’... thanks for the effort to post.

Must admit I have one and love it… in fact I have the “other two”, to maximise depth (missus had 3 jobs at the time)...

PS. Those large bearings are great to help me identify them from the 1/4” bits.

#3 posted 08-07-2020 10:09 PM

Hey Jerry,
I know, not cheap. But if you’re working with Peruvian Walnut at $15 per b.f. it starts to make sense!

#4 posted 08-08-2020 01:18 AM

#5 posted 08-08-2020 01:22 AM

Great review pinto ... thanks for the effort to post.

PS. Those large bearings are great to help me identify them from the 1/4” bits.

- LittleBlackDuck

hell id be surprised if you didn’t ducks.

but hey pinto thank for the review because ive been eye balling those for awhile and you might just have pushed me into it.thanks-lol.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

#6 posted 08-08-2020 01:23 AM

#7 posted 08-08-2020 01:29 AM

- pottz

For $175 they do everything… cut grass… even fillet fish.

#8 posted 08-08-2020 01:42 AM

- pottz

For $175 they do everything… cut grass… even fillet fish.

- LittleBlackDuck

i know you get a commission for selling those but cmon,not to a lure maker,your showing desperation!

#9 posted 08-08-2020 02:42 AM

- pottz

Okay, okay…. After 11 years here and 71 furniture projects posted, I start making lures a few months ago and that’s how people know me? A lure maker? I’m the guy who recommended the Yonica router bits awhile back because they’re actually pretty good and half the price. On the other hand I am very cheap…. er frugal.

I have to admit thought that router bit does look pretty badass.

#10 posted 08-08-2020 03:11 AM

- pottz

Okay, okay…. After 11 years here and 71 furniture projects posted, I start making lures a few months ago and that s how people know me? A lure maker? I m the guy who recommended the Yonica router bits awhile back because they re actually pretty good and half the price. On the other hand I am very cheap…. er frugal.

I have to admit thought that router bit does look pretty badass.

- Craftsman on the lake

sorry cotl i didn’t want to steriotype you as a lure maker,your a serious woodworker and should be respected as suck,my apologies my friend.

#11 posted 08-08-2020 03:16 AM

sorry cotl i didn t want to steriotype you as a lure maker,your a serious woodworker and should be respected as suck,my apologies my friend.

- pottz

Respected as what???? What did you write? It’s getting deeper there pottz!

I was just rolling with the joke….. I love this kind of stuff. Drives my wife crazy though.

#12 posted 08-08-2020 03:20 AM

Respected as what???? What did you write? It s getting deeper there pottz!
Actually, I since I made an issue of it I was just being funny. This was all in fun and I m chuckling about it. I didn t mean to imply that it bothered me…. I was rolling with the joke.

- Craftsman on the lake

huh,i think i said i respected you as a serious woodworker? deeper than what? cmon you cant take a compliment,what do you want me too say?

#13 posted 08-08-2020 03:24 AM

- pottz

Now that’s what I call ”Hook, line and sinker”... two on the one cast… and a single bait.

pottzy, I knew you were in construction… but I didn’t think it was digging deeper holes!

#14 posted 08-08-2020 03:28 AM

- pottz

Now that s what I call ”Hook, line and sinker”... two on the one cast… and a single bait.

pottzy, I knew you were in construction… but I didn t think it was digging deeper holes!

- LittleBlackDuck

no im not so im confused,did i say say something wrong or nasty?

#15 posted 08-08-2020 03:44 AM

can someone tell me what i said wrong or offensive? i thought we could all joke between friends,or maybe not? maybe because were not friends? im confused.