The Jointer plane to buy

Review by AGolden posted 08-02-2020 04:28 AM 635 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Jointer plane to buy The Jointer plane to buy No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Everyone knows the reputation of Lie-Nielsen for high quality tools so I don’t need to write much on the excellent quality, fit and finish of this plane in particular.

The reason I did feel like i needed to write this up is because the jointer plane is an often overlooked hand tool, and the low angle jointer plane even more so.

the 7-1/2 is 22” long which was surprisingly large (Stanley low angle jack plane in second picture for comparison) and is a bevel up “low angle” configuration with the blade bedded at 12 degrees. The mouth of the low angle jointer plane is adjustable with two screws ahead of the blade. A critical feature that expands the versatility of the tool, when I was looking for a jointer plane I did not know the 7-1/2 had an adjustable mouth which was an important feature for me so hopefully people are more aware of it than I am!

The plane does not have a lateral adjustment mechanism but I found that it does not impact the performance appreciably because you can easily adjust the iron with a few taps of a hammer or mallet. I thought that this was going to be a pain but I find that it really doesn’t slow me down and once it is set I really don’t need to adjust it.

I currently have it set up with a 30 degree micro bevel (42 degree cutting angle) to take a very fine shaving which leaves a beautiful surface but it can just as easily be adjusted to level out a board. the fact that you can adjust both the mouth and the cutting angle by putting a micro bevel on the blade really gave me the motivation to purchase the 7-1/2 over a bevel down jointer. the expanded versatility was important to me for such a large investment.

I have found that my jointer plane is one of my favorites and it is a lot more useful than for just truing up an edge. I wouldn’t overlook adding one to your toolbox and the low angle 7-1/2 is perfect if you want to get the most out of your Jointer.

View AGolden's profile

AGolden

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#1 posted 08-02-2020 01:42 PM

Thanks. That looks like a real handy tool with that long base like a joiinter table! Give good resolution over a long surface.

Cheers, Jim

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

#2 posted 08-03-2020 10:45 PM

This is an excellent plane as are all of Lie Nielsen tools. Unsurpassed quality and made in America!