iGaging 4" and 6" Squares From Taylor Tools--Buy Something Else

Review by jayseedub posted 07-27-2020 12:13 AM 1082 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
iGaging 4" and 6" Squares From Taylor Tools--Buy Something Else No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yes, the squares are indeed accurate. They come in individual plastic cases. The markings are good. They work, and to the degree that they do what they are supposed to do, $35 probably is a good deal.

But the locking mechanism—the knurled nut—is terrible. Terrible. It actually feels sharp in my fingers as I tighten them. The spring that holds the nut in and against the groove in the ruler is either too loose or too tight—whichever it is, it’s awkward to use and seems to work against the user.

And that could be excused if the rule slid beautifully along it (like my Lee Valley 4” square, which admittedly cost more). But the rule grates against the beam. It stutters as I slide it. It grabs. It jerks. It’s almost as if there’s a fine sand in the mechanism. I’ve cleaned it. Disassembled it. Oiled it. And now I’ve just become more irritated because I’ve devoted more time to these squares on efforts that didn’t help a bit! :-)

Even the corners feel sharper than they should. You’d think that sharp corners on a square would be a good thing and would inspire confidence, but it just feels terrible in the hand.

They’re entirely unpleasant to use. I wish I hadn’t spent the money. I can use both squares as static squares, I suppose, for setup of my blades or bits—but to use the sliding mechanism at all just causes me irritation.

#1 posted 07-27-2020 01:37 AM

Not being rude, but then why did you give them 5/5 stars?

View Pixxture's profile

Pixxture

#2 posted 07-27-2020 02:21 AM

I do appreciate the review. I agree with LBD the 5 star rating does not match the text.

I bought the same set from chips fly. They come pretty close to matching your description..

When i bought them all i hoped for was accuracy. They do meet that requirement.

#3 posted 07-27-2020 03:04 AM

Not being rude, but then why did you give them 5/5 stars?

- LittleBlackDuck

Whoops! I was so busy writing the review that I entirely neglected the star rating, and it looks like it defaulted to 5/5!

I’ll see if I can change it—thanks for pointing that out!

#4 posted 07-27-2020 03:06 AM

When i bought them all i hoped for was accuracy. They do meet that requirement.

- Pixxture

Thanks for pointing that out—I didn’t even see the “star” field when I filled out the review! I’ve since edited to show 3/5 stars. Thanks again!

#5 posted 07-27-2020 03:19 AM

I ll see if I can change it—thanks for pointing that out!
- jayseedub

Cool, still good to see a review, allbeit good or bad… gives insight into the product for others.
Even a dodgy product can ghave a “good” review in warning others.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#6 posted 07-27-2020 03:34 PM

I’ve compared my cheep China combo and double squares very carefully with my Starrett combo square and have concluded that these type problems are caused by poor machining on the threaded lock stud, especially where the “hook” rides in the channel of the rule.

You might improve the function by carefully de-burring and squaring up the corners with fine jewelers files and then smoothing it out with a slip stone.

A lot of reviewers rave about these inexpensive squares, but most often I’ve found that if you want to prevent the blade from slipping you have to excessively tighten the nut. And then the nut gets jammed and very difficult to loosen.

The larger diameter brass nuts and precision machining on the lock stud are the difference between these tools being a joy to use and a royal headache.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View chem's profile

chem

#7 posted 07-27-2020 03:46 PM

I got the 4” iGaging as well. Your post is dead on. Sadly I got what I payed for. Nonetheless seems accurate and useful. Probably would get a Starrett (like my 12”) if I had to do it over.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

View Redbeardedwoodworker's profile

Redbeardedwoodworker

#8 posted 07-27-2020 09:07 PM

Taylor Tools only gets respect online because a few very popular youtube woodworkers take their money and tell people that the tools are good. They are not, most their stuff is pretty cheap and not well made.

View splintergroup's profile (online now)

splintergroup

3848 posts in 2021 days

#9 posted 07-28-2020 03:29 PM

The “buyer beware” scenario.

I have no problem buying “cheap” layout tools if they are fixed (i.e. no moving parts). As long as the finishing guy has a good setup so things are square, these type of tools can be a bargain. For tools with moving parts, much more work/thought needs to go into the product. This is one reason the cost can get high as it takes skill to fabricate correctly and perform final fit and finish.

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#10 posted 07-29-2020 03:25 AM

My Brown & Sharpe double square has the same problems, the knurl is rough, it doesn’t hold, and the edges of the square were sharp enough to cut when I got it. Probably the biggest disappoint out the quality tools I’ve bought. I have B&S combo square that is high quality although the edges on it are sharp as a blade too. I’ve yet to pick up a tool as well made as a Starrett.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#11 posted 07-29-2020 05:05 PM

I can’t believe that there are so few manufacturers of good combination squares! iGaging is pretty good for some tools. Many, many companies sell really bad combination squares. I switched to Starrett and am happy now.

View Buck_Thorne's profile

Buck_Thorne

#12 posted 07-29-2020 10:15 PM

I recently bought the iGaging 4” square, too, and my results match yours.

#13 posted 07-29-2020 11:23 PM

... iGaging is pretty good for some tools….
- pintodeluxe

Totally agree pinto’... I have a few ”Gaggers” and am happy with them… I tend to stick to Woodpecker for my measurers that are great untill you drop the aluminium on concrete… works quicker than a cold spoon.

Nevertheless, it’s reviews like this that help other woodies (forget the spoon) NOT repeat the same mistake.

I recently bought the iGaging 4” square, too, and my results match yours.
- Buck_Thorne

Sorry Bucky, but if you posted a review, and jay read it, he may have saved himself a few shekels… or at least spent a tad more on better.

I have got in the habit of hitting this “Review” blog first… unfortunately not enough posts…

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#14 posted 07-31-2020 09:12 PM

Jayseedub, as your first sentence states,

”$35 for two squares probably should have told me something, but Taylor Tools gets great respect online, so I thought the deal would be worth it—but it’s not.”

$17.50 a square is in the “I expect next to nothing but hope for a steal” territory. I would be happy that they were accurate for that price and expect nothing more.

Sorry about your purchase, but after all, it was only $35.00 A lot of the lessons I’ve learned have required a significantly larger buy in.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

#15 posted 08-02-2020 02:17 PM

I’ve been tempted to try the igage stuff. I have a dial caliper I bought for my daughter to use in her engineering class and its fairly decent but that’s the only experience I have with them.

If looking for a cheaper alternative to Starrett, I suggest trying PEC. I have an old PEC combo square and it compares well to my Starrett. The casting on the none machined surface is not as refined as the Starrett, but other than that its seems to be identical. I most likely will pick up a PEC double square this fall, I’ll post up a review when I do.

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...