Dewalt DWS779 + DW726 rolling stand - quite a pair

Review by nickbatz posted 07-21-2020 07:06 PM 813 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt DWS779 + DW726 rolling stand - quite a pair No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Picked up a DWS779 from Home Depot before the price jumped.

It’s a big upgrade over my previous sliding compound miter saw (Ryobi 10”) that makes life a whole lot easier. There was nothing wrong with the Ryobi, but I bought this one for its increased capacity.

I also bit the bullet and picked up a DW726 Dewalt stand from ToolUp.com to go with it, which makes a huge difference to its usability and convenience. That wasn’t part of my original plan, but I realized right away that unlike the Ryobi, this machine is just too big and heavy to carry through a doorway to set up every time I need to use it. Funny how things look smaller in huge warehouse stores.

But the DW726 stand is really great. (Thanks for the advice about stands on this forum.) You won’t need a stand if you have a workshop with a permanent “station” for the miter saw, of course, but it’s really convenient having the supports, plus it’s not sitting on my work table in the way – I just roll it out and it’s ready to go. No more piling up wood scraps to support boards I’m cutting. Bliss.

One thing I’m not happy about: I was assured by the associate at Home Depot that this model is identical to the current DWS780 except for the shadow cut line light. And it is – except that it lacks the holes through the back fence to screw in a 1” scrap wood platform that extends its capacity to 16” from 14” (at 90 degrees).

Bummer, but I figured out a different way to attach it that’s okay. Still, the 16” capacity touted on the bumph attached to the floor model is the single feature that convinced me to upgrade miter saws in the first place. :(

The other thing to be aware of is that it comes with a construction blade. If you’re using it only for woodworking, you’ll need to pick up a finer-toothed blade. Because I’ve had good luck with other Diablo blades, I chose the 80-tooth fine cut one. It laughs at douglas fir, and cuts through 4/4 red oak like nothing. But I knew going in that I’d need the blade.

Bottom line, I’m very happy with the DWS779’s precision, power, and convenience.

View EllenWoodHead's profile

EllenWoodHead

#1 posted 07-26-2020 03:23 AM

Thanks for the review, though I am wondering—what is “bumph”?

-- "wood" and "good" rhyme, but not "food"

#2 posted 07-26-2020 04:44 AM

Bumph in this case is the printed advertising placard attached to the floor model saw.

I think it’s a UK term, and usually it means all the printed stuff that comes with a product – manuals, etc.

#3 posted 07-26-2020 04:51 AM

Re-reading my review, I see that I only posted the grumbles.

This saw is a delight – powerful and accurate. I haven’t had to take out my circular saw + straight cut jig for cuts too close to the edge of long boards to use my table saw since getting it.

Also, I’ve discovered that you don’t really need to attach the capacity-extending support platform – you can just stick it under the board you’re cutting. So my complaint about the lack of screw holes was probably overblown.

I like it.

View EllenWoodHead's profile

EllenWoodHead

#4 posted 07-27-2020 02:08 AM

I think it s a UK term, and usually it means all the printed stuff that comes with a product – manuals, etc.

- nickbatz

Thanks! I have a new word :)

-- "wood" and "good" rhyme, but not "food"

#5 posted 07-27-2020 04:37 AM