Nail It.

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 07-09-2020 06:57 AM 1439 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nail It. Nail It. Nail It. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

Young Patron did a review on this little gem back in 2011, which according to my majuvla (Ivan) calculator is approx. 09 years ago (OK., the leading 0 is exactly as per my calculator’s display… no approx. there maj’).

With age, Patron’s posts has percolated down to the pits of archival obscurity and I thought it may be time to herald its existence to all you unfortunates that haven’t had the pleasurable encounter.
A friend also needed use of it, which prompted me to pen this post. Unfortunately, isolation etc… prevented happy snaps of the gizmo in use.

It may be of little benefit if you don’t have a compressor, but do not fear, just scroll down nearer to the bottom for a much more costly alternative.

After I moved in to my current residence, the front balcony rails kept working loose

and I found that it was a tad difficult to get both my framing nail gun and haul my compressor near to do the job…

(hell, wading back through my old workshop photos looking for the above happy-snap… all those bloody corded tools… how did we ever manage?)

I upgraded to a battery operated Plaslode FrameMaster (orange beast in picture #3)… Smart arse-me, out arsed himself as the Plaslode removed the need for toting the compressor around, but was still quite a tad difficult to get between the slats.

While strolling through Bunning (our Rockler equivalent), I came across these palm nailers… bet you were wondering when I got to the goodies topic.

Fortunately I have a piddly (backup) compressor lurking in my back area (well not in my back area, but my residence… I just walk funny… remember… ducks waddle!)

so I could comfortably lug that around and get the palm nailer into the tight spaces and still manage to drive a straight nail.

If you’re still not convinced, may I again suggest you read Patrons much more comprehensive reviewthis review should be treated as one of those annoying mailbox drops to draw attention to a product… in other words, do your own reading/research.

—> Fast-track spot.
Now for you wretches that don’t own a compressor (and therefore not persecuted by the arduous task of getting all that brown shit off your shop floor whenever you “bleed” the compressor).
After purchasing a number of Milwaukee tools, I had a stockpile of batteries and was prepared to expand my Milwaukee empire. With my satisfaction of this subject “reviewed” palm nailer, I didn’t hesitate to purchase this Palm Nailer,

Now without penning a review of the Milwaukee, I was underwhelmed with the offering as even without the small battery, it was a tad bulky and had a much larger profile than the Bostitch and with my smallish hands, had to strain to extend my thumb to reach the operating button on the side.

Nevertheless, this Milwaukee was smaller, lighter and a lot cheaper than a cordless framing gun, however, nowhere near the speed.

GR8, you can take off your reading glasses and put on your ears and waddle over to this link... and rc you’ll be pleased to note that the blue animal nightie is still alive… just!

Please don’t frame me for giving misleading advice, just send casks of vino… preferably not empty.

View John Stegall's profile

John Stegall

#1 posted 07-09-2020 12:31 PM

I just happen to have one of those organgish-yellowish devices. I bought it for a special job underneath a house. I doubt that Milwaukee would have fit between those joists especial due to the length of the nails (think spikes) but I am glad to know that they exist.

-- jstegall

#2 posted 07-09-2020 01:17 PM

... I doubt that Milwaukee would have fit between those joists especial due to the length of the nails (think spikes) but I am glad to know that they exist.
- John Stegall

Agree that the Milwaukee is beefier than the BOSTITCH, JS.
I find it much more awkward , however it is air and cord less and at the end of the day it could be found to be invaluable, even though it’s an inversatile one-trick-pony.
That is why I have avoided reviewing it, however, I suppose I don’t have to give everything a 5 star.

People often say, ”I wish I knew about it back then/when.”... well here are two items they won’t be able to say that for when ”back then/when” is reached in the future… holy Marty McFly!

View PPK's profile

PPK

#3 posted 07-09-2020 05:18 PM

I’ve got one of those Bostitch’s too. Works great for driving nails in joist hangers and other hard to reach spots. Wear ear protection!

-- Pete

#4 posted 07-10-2020 12:47 AM

... Wear ear protection!
- PPK

Too true, PPK. Nothing worse than a nail sticking out of your ear stopping correct prescription glasses wearing… unless you accidentally bent the nail (like I did in my video).

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#5 posted 07-10-2020 10:01 AM

Hey Alex

Did you know lightweight has got an electric hammer?

When I was building my Dolls house I managed to nail myself!

I had to clamp the pin in the vise and pull my hand with the other one to get it out

-- Regards Rob

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#6 posted 07-10-2020 02:23 PM

Ouch! Rob, I’m not sure I needed to see that photo….but I can sure appreciate the dried glue on the fingers….

Regarding the palm nailer…if you’ve spent a fair share of your working life installing rafter ties and joist hangers, you wouldn’t want to live without one. Me and my old Senco has been in a few tight spots!

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

#7 posted 07-10-2020 10:37 PM

Hell rc, you should have used a straight nail… probably would have been less painful driving into the finger… and wot? no blood?
You bloody wuss pulling out the nail! I have 4 fingers and a thumb, just to mention my left hand alone,

that are permanently nailed... and lets not talk imperial and mention the foots.

You should have only trimmed the nail with pliers.