High Quality Carbide Turning Tools

Review by TheDane posted 06-27-2020 12:31 AM 496 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
High Quality Carbide Turning Tools High Quality Carbide Turning Tools No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m not much of a carbide tool guy … cut my teeth on HSS tools … but carbides do have their place.

I recently ordered a set of carbide tools from Harrison Specialties.

My tools arrived a few days later, and like other products I have purchased from Harrison (hollowing system, adapters, cutters, etc.) the tools are first class … excellent fit and finish, well-designed and packaged.

This set consists of a Hollower, a Rougher, and a Detailer with wrenches and an aluminum handle. Took them for a quick spin on the lathe … the tools work exactly as I expected, and the handle is nicely engineered with a neoprene grip, excellent weight and balance.

And, as with my previous experience, service and shipping was fast and affordable.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#1 posted 06-27-2020 03:04 PM

Love those type of tools… sort off… I bought a set of Rikon… same dog, different legs. Only issue I found, even though it had a quick change grip, I was continually swapping handles (actually it’s the chisels, but handles sound more mature). Finished up buying another handle which worked much better…. the detailer was the least used so it was swapped for whichever handled one was idle.
Drats, mine didn’t come with those sexy beanies.

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

#2 posted 06-29-2020 02:39 PM

I started my turning tool collection with Harrison Specialties, and have also been impressed with their service and their value. I did manage to shatter one of their resin handles when I experienced a bad catch, but that was on me. I added a second rougher and turned a handle for it, using a copper coupling as a ferrule.

I have found Easy Wood Tools cutters to seem to have a bit more edge life, but use both brands frequently.

I am now starting to use HSS, especially scrapers for finishing, and I have a couple bowl gouges that intimidate me :)

View waho6o9's profile