High Quality Carbide Turning Tools

Review by TheDane posted 06-27-2020 12:31 AM 2387 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
High Quality Carbide Turning Tools High Quality Carbide Turning Tools No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m not much of a carbide tool guy … cut my teeth on HSS tools … but carbides do have their place.

I recently ordered a set of carbide tools from Harrison Specialties.

My tools arrived a few days later, and like other products I have purchased from Harrison (hollowing system, adapters, cutters, etc.) the tools are first class … excellent fit and finish, well-designed and packaged.

This set consists of a Hollower, a Rougher, and a Detailer with wrenches and an aluminum handle. Took them for a quick spin on the lathe … the tools work exactly as I expected, and the handle is nicely engineered with a neoprene grip, excellent weight and balance.

And, as with my previous experience, service and shipping was fast and affordable.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#1 posted 06-27-2020 03:04 PM

Love those type of tools… sort off… I bought a set of Rikon… same dog, different legs. Only issue I found, even though it had a quick change grip, I was continually swapping handles (actually it’s the chisels, but handles sound more mature). Finished up buying another handle which worked much better…. the detailer was the least used so it was swapped for whichever handled one was idle.
Drats, mine didn’t come with those sexy beanies.

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

#2 posted 06-29-2020 02:39 PM

I started my turning tool collection with Harrison Specialties, and have also been impressed with their service and their value. I did manage to shatter one of their resin handles when I experienced a bad catch, but that was on me. I added a second rougher and turned a handle for it, using a copper coupling as a ferrule.

I have found Easy Wood Tools cutters to seem to have a bit more edge life, but use both brands frequently.

I am now starting to use HSS, especially scrapers for finishing, and I have a couple bowl gouges that intimidate me :)

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#3 posted 07-01-2020 12:43 AM

Good to know, thanks!

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#4 posted 08-04-2020 07:38 PM

I bought a set last year and concur with your review. I was immediately impressed with the quality of the tools and especially the quality of the cut compared to the small Rocker carbide that I bought when I was turning on a mini-lathe. I also bought the cupped finisher tool and the 90° detailer and added a second handle to make swapping a little less annoying. The cupped finisher is a little tough to master but when you do it right, you can get an amazing finish. The 90° detailer is my favorite tool in the bunch. I find that I reach for that one more than any of the others. It allows you to get into places, such as right next to the tail stock, that are difficult to reach with other tools.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

View Springerlover's profile

Springerlover

#5 posted 01-23-2022 10:03 AM

I just purchased the 4 chisel, mid-size set. I concur with TheDane. Fit and finish are high quality. Their videos show commitment to the turner’s success with them. They don’t rely on theory, but on actual use. I am thoroughly satisfied with the tools.

View MSK56's profile

MSK56

7 posts in 1962 days

#6 posted 03-13-2022 12:55 PM

I bought a set of Harrison’s mid size tools (5 tool and one handle set) and was really impressed with the quality and finish of the tools and eventually added a second handle. I recently bought Harrison’s three tool and handle full size set through Amazon. The tools were not packaged as expected (thrown in a box with no packaging material at all and had some minor damage). Instead of posting a negative review on Amazon, I contacted Harrison directly and was assured that the way they were packaged was not how they leave their facility. More than likely, the tools were returned to Amazon and Amazon placed them back into inventory to be sold again. I ended up returning the tools to Harrison and they sent a replacement set in return; the quality of the tools is as expected (packaged well with no damage). Lesson learned (for me anyway): if you have the option to buy direct and not through Amazon, buy direct.

Mike

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

#7 posted 03-13-2022 03:04 PM

Seems like when I ordered mine they we actually just a little cheaper directly from Harrison, at least for the combination that I bought anyway.