Very Nice Dial Caliper

Review by BobHinden posted 06-17-2020 07:54 PM 825 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Nice Dial Caliper Very Nice Dial Caliper No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was given this as a birthday present from my daughter.

I really like it. The analog dial is much easier to use than my digital gauge, no trying to deal with results in 1/128”. It is accurate and repeatable. The action is a little rough, but not enough to be a problem.

The dial reads in fractions down to 1/64” and in decimals to .01”. A bonus feature, is the fixed part also includes a mm scale. That is useful to me as my shop is a mixture of imperial and metric.

Overall, I really like it and recommend it.

Almost forgot to add, it doesn’t need batteries!

-- Bob Hinden / San Francisco Bay Area

View BobHinden's profile

BobHinden

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

3798 posts in 1999 days

#1 posted 06-17-2020 09:12 PM

I have the same unit, but not enough use yet to really comment +/-

It will be handy as I currently use a standard 0.001” resolution 6” caliper constantly for my work doing setups, etc.

You are 100% on the no-batteries!

View pottz's profile

pottz

#2 posted 06-17-2020 09:45 PM

got one too,easy to use,i prefer it over my digital since everytime i wanna use it the battery ids dead.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#3 posted 06-17-2020 11:28 PM

Never tried one so I cannot comment on it’s use, however, to solve pottzy’s dilema,

.... everytime i wanna use it the battery ids dead.
- pottz

I’ve memorised the battery size, so I’ll never have to measure it again!

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#4 posted 06-18-2020 01:00 AM

I would go for the analogue one too but cannot see well enough to use it

-- Regards Rob

View pottz's profile

pottz

#5 posted 06-18-2020 01:03 AM

The dead battery is directly related to the auto shut off, if yours has one and no off switch take the battery out after each use as you put it away, or you can also do it just before you use it again as it will be dead and you will need to change it anyway! I would go for the analogue one too but cannot see well enough to use it

- robscastle

too much work rc,i live by battery and die by it also-lol.

View RCCinNC's profile

RCCinNC

#6 posted 06-21-2020 09:45 PM

Liked the review so much I went and bought one as a Father’s day gift to self. Been playing with it and really like the simplicity and general quality for what seems a fair price. Now all I have to do is not drop it….

Thanks for the review Bob!

-- Live to putter...putter to live!

View PPK's profile

PPK

#7 posted 06-26-2020 12:13 PM

I have the same caliper, and have been using it for a couple years. It’s great. I really like how it’s in fractions, it means a little more to me as a carpenter than a 100ths measurement. Also, I’m kind of visual, and when you’ve got a nice little arrow that points close to the 11/16 mark, that means more to me than some digital caliper reading 96/164 or some meaningless number that I don’t reflexively know.
Anyway, I use it almost as much as my pencil or tape measure, and it’s one of my favorite tools. Thanks for the review.

-- Pete

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#8 posted 06-26-2020 07:41 PM

I have a Mitutoya dial and a budget brand digital and find myself reaching for the dial most every time.

At work we have a Mitutoya digitals and they are much better than my budget digital.

Personally, I think I’m all done with budget measuring tools. Buy quality once and feel the pain once kind of thing…..but then again I’m an engineer and kind of a measuring tool snob.

iGaging seems to have found a sweet spot between the budget junk and the expensive top of the line stuff.

-- Matt -- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam