Great, inexpensive solution for veneering

Review by leftcoaster posted 06-08-2020 04:31 PM 2103 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great, inexpensive solution for veneering No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

There’s a review by Woodworker’s Journal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQe9p1LBCk

I didn’t want to buy an expensive mechanical veneering press and have to store it, and clamping was turning out to be relatively time consuming with inconsistent results.

I found this product and it was awesome. I used cold press veneering glue and placed my panel between two plywood platens inside the bag, pump out the air with the hand pump and then remove after 60 minutes.

Great results. I used it on hardwood and on MDF substrates.

At one point I pumped hard enough that the handle of the pump came off—easy repair with superglue, per manufacturer guidance, so support was also very good.

View leftcoaster's profile

leftcoaster

398 posts in 2036 days

View Jackryan's profile

Jackryan

#1 posted 06-09-2020 12:26 AM

I have used one off and on for three years and enjoy it. I have a large platen in the bag and place the veneer on that without a platen on top and that works well.

-- Dave, Wi.

View go4tech's profile

go4tech

#2 posted 06-09-2020 05:24 AM

As one that has built model RC airplanes (bonding Carbon fiber to balsa,) there are may ways to vacuum bag.

Typically use standard 6 mil plastic and plumbers putty to make my own bags (wings tend to have a long and thin aspect ratio that trash bags do not have). The easiest vacuum pump is a simple brake bleeder from Harbor Freight. Can get, and keep, good pressure.

For the bleeder (the plastic netting mentioned) one can use good (thick) paper towels, or a reasonable t-shirt. Just about anything will do. Note if the material to be pressed is “soft”, something without a pattern would be recommended.

This is an interesting take /re-use. This uses an air extractor and valve typically used to re-seal a wine bottle…..

As for the $60 kit, maybe raid the wine cabinet, grab a piece of plastic, some paper towels, and some plumbers putty and be off and running!

Best regards,
JK

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

7552 posts in 1981 days

#3 posted 06-10-2020 08:45 PM

Thanks for the review lefty...

I’ve been using one (similar) for years and it’s good to let others know about their use/existance… Remiss of me not dropping a review in the past as I’ve had quite a few visitors to my workshop showing ignorant interest in the gizmo.

A helluva lot cheaper than a venturi pump that I always keep getting tempted with, but just can’t justify the extravagance due to the efficiency of these “air bags”.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#4 posted 06-19-2020 10:27 AM

The twin caskets I made in Jun 2012 has Sapelle veneer vac bagged on using Roarocket if you want to see the results you can achieve on curved surfaces.

-- Regards Rob

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#5 posted 06-19-2020 10:44 AM

I just took a look, and thought the construction blog may be of more of a technical interest.
Checking closely you can can see the imprint of the nylon netting something go4tech mentioned in his post, it did self removed after time.

-- Regards Rob