Huge time saver

Review by planecurious posted 05-22-2020 05:12 AM 662 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Huge time saver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve always had problems storing my Router Plane because of its shape and the fact that my workspace is quite small so I don’t have the luxuy of dedicating a shelf to it; the blade roll helped keeping the blades in but the fence was still a bit of a problem.

I had decided I should make a dedicated box to store it but Veritas beat me to it and I am very glad they did! The box comes flat packed and is very easy to assemble with just a screwdriver (I found it easier to do so standing it on one of its sides so I could access the screws of the other side). It is very solid after assembly, has ample space in front of it, the clear lid is a nice touch and it definitely was worth it for me.

On the negative side I felt that it could have more blade storage holes and that the fence need not take so much space; another minor quibble is that it assumes you will store it horizontal (bigger footprint is bad for me, might not be an issue for you). Fortunately these foibles are easily remedied so I modified my box to allow for greater blade storage, added cleats so I can stand it vertical and I even added a pocket to store my side rabbet plane (which was also ackward to store).

Again, I am very happy with this product specially after my modifications and I still have space for the medium router plane if I eventually buy it.

View planecurious's profile

planecurious

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#1 posted 05-22-2020 01:16 PM

Nice work to enhance it. Your review doesn’t mention anything about the wood. Is it hard wood, or soft?

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#2 posted 05-22-2020 03:33 PM

Looks like Baltic birch plywood to me, 1/2”.

View planecurious's profile

planecurious

#3 posted 05-22-2020 05:05 PM

Sorry for the omission it is 3/8” baltic birch plywood (Lee Valley’s website lists it as 9mm)

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

#4 posted 05-22-2020 05:55 PM

Interesting. I got a thing in the mail about this (they must have sent them out to everyone who bought the plane), and wondered about it. Just a plywood box, and I’m a woodworker. But true it’s pretty cheap.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

#5 posted 05-23-2020 04:46 AM

IKEA stand aside.

If you consider an hourly labour rate for your time in the workshop and the primary intention to protect the tool and it’s accessories, this is not that shabby an option.

I made one cut out of MDF on my laser… the cutting was simple, but when I consider the design and glue up/assembly, I could have redirected the shekels’ equivalent of the time spent towards a generous serving of vino casks.

PS. And no need for that bloody allen key.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#6 posted 05-26-2020 12:03 AM

More blade storage holes? It has eleven spaces for blades, how many do you need. I’m betting you’ll never fill it up. Nice box.

#7 posted 05-26-2020 12:15 AM

More blade storage holes? It has eleven spaces for blades, how many do you need. I m betting you ll never fill it up. Nice box.

- ic3ss

Depends iC3, I’m not prepared to gring my 4mm blade for a 1/8” trench…

If you buy both metric and (ugh!) imperial… and maybe a couple of custom made ones (eg. out of allen keys)... there may not be enough.

View chem's profile

chem

#8 posted 05-26-2020 02:02 PM

I bought it too. I think it is a good value for the money and helps with organization of a tool that is challenged with organization issues.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#9 posted 05-26-2020 07:27 PM

Add me to the list. I got the mailing sent because I was recorded as a purchaser of their router plane. Yep. I built a box for that plane – kinda. It wasn’t very good and I never really wanted to spend a weekend just for that purpose. The accessories were banging around in a cigar box. So….I said heck yeah.

No regrets. This Veritas box is precision/CNC made. Simple. Assembly is a cinch and took me like 4 minutes as opposed to four evenings after work.

Your modifications are on target.

-- "It's only wood. Use it." - Smitty || Instagram - nobodhi_here

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

#10 posted 05-26-2020 09:40 PM

Planecurious, thanks for the review. As opposed to starting another, I’ll place these here.

-- "It's only wood. Use it." - Smitty || Instagram - nobodhi_here

#11 posted 05-27-2020 12:42 AM

.... I ll place these here.
- lysdexic

Lucky I don’t read Chinese (bottom to top),

otherwise I’d ask why replace that great Veritas box with a loose tool shop-made one.

dyslexia rules.

(Like your signature.)

View Buck_Thorne's profile

Buck_Thorne

#12 posted 05-30-2020 12:05 PM

Interesting. I got a thing in the mail about this (they must have sent them out to everyone who bought the plane), and wondered about it. Just a plywood box, and I m a woodworker. But true it s pretty cheap.

- jdh122

That was exactly my thought. Why have a Baltic birch CNC made box when I can make a nice walnut & cherry (or whatever) with dovetailed or box jointed corners and a really nice finish? Won’t be starting that until next winter, though (besides, I have their small router on backorder and will make room for that one in it as well).

That said, I will be basically following their ideas with mine, so thanks, Veritas!

View Buck_Thorne's profile

Buck_Thorne

#13 posted 05-30-2020 12:07 PM

If you consider an hourly labour rate for your time…

Others may, but I don’t. That’s my winter hobby. I should maybe be charging myself for all the fun I have.