Long live the king!

Review by chem posted 05-02-2020 09:44 PM 1348 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Long live the king! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My first experience with cutting dados was on an ancient table saw (no dust collection) using a cheap wobble blade. It scared me off dados for about five years. My second experience cutting dados was with a router and a cheap edge guide. They were mostly straight. I decided it was time to add some proper dado cutting ability to my shop. I had had very good experience with Forrest blades in the past so I purchased their Dado King. I purchased the 8 inch set only to find out it was not compatible with my Felder table saw. Forrest took it back with no complaints, sent out the 6 inch set, and credited the difference. They shipped both times very quickly in spite of the pandemic and were easy to talk to by phone. Here is what it looks like (it comes in a nice organizer, mine has some extra holes because Felder likes three holes in their blades).

Started testing it with just the two outside blades. Should be 1/4 inch. It is.

Put in some chippers shooting for “plywood 3/4”. Looks a bit more intimidating (note you can see where I cut deeper here for the 1/4 than the 3/4 into the plate):

The result is a very clean looking dado that fits well.

I have not tried the magnetic shims or all combinations yet (there are three different width chippers), but the cut quality in that crappy plywood was outstanding and setup was easy.

In the words of Mel Brooks, It’s good to be king!

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

View chem's profile

chem

View Andre's profile

Andre

#1 posted 05-03-2020 04:57 AM

Looks good, I have an old Craftsman set, works great, but I do have the Forrest Finger Joint Set which are fantastic!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View tvrgeek's profile

tvrgeek

#2 posted 05-03-2020 05:05 PM

Sweet. I have a Freud dado set and it does not cur flat bottoms. Two ridges.

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#3 posted 05-04-2020 02:17 AM

I bought the 8” dado set several years ago and have never regretted it. I really run it thru the wringer. The only errors are my fault.

View whope's profile

whope

#4 posted 05-05-2020 11:20 AM

I have a Hammer B3 on order and was looking at this exact Dado set. I guess I’ll go ahead and place an order.

One of the reasons for replacing my Craftsman TS is the arbor at the threads is a bit too small. Impossible to get a flat bottom of a dado. The other reason is that it’s very difficult to tilt the blade beyond 60 degrees.

Thanks!

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an Hammer.

View knucklehead11's profile

knucklehead11

#5 posted 05-06-2020 03:20 AM

The two dado sets I looked at are on backorder till the end of the month now! Everyone is working in their shop lol

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

#6 posted 05-06-2020 09:17 PM

A Duke at best.
When you’re ready to step it up, check out the Infinty Dadonator. Twice the number of teeth per chipper and a flawless flat bottom cut.
The real King.

View chem's profile

chem

#7 posted 05-06-2020 09:53 PM

A Duke at best.
The real King.

- lj61673

I believe that the Infinity has 1.5 times the teeth on the chipper (6 vs 4). You need to balance chip clearance with teeth count. It is certainly cheaper which is a plus, but Amazon reviews point out some of the other considerations. As a Felder user, it is not an option anyway so I will need to “settle” for Forrest.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#8 posted 05-13-2020 10:46 PM

I have a number of Forrest blades but have a Craftsman carbide dado set that I purchased over 30 years ago. I have no complaints regarding the Craftsman set. I too had trouble getting a flat bottom when using my set. I sent it to a professional saw sharpening service and the technician explained that the edges “should cut a hair deeper” than the chippers to assure a clean cut. I don’t anticipate having to replace it but if I did it would be with the Forrest Dado set.

-- Don, Pittsburgh