Just delivered Harvey C-14

Review by tvrgeek posted 04-25-2020 02:03 PM 1661 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Just delivered Harvey C-14 Just delivered Harvey C-14 Just delivered Harvey C-14 Click the pictures to enlarge them

First installment. I will update as things progress. Ordered it about two weeks ago. Talked to the folks on the phone a couple of times. Very nice. Answered all my questions and were welcoming to some overall feedback on their WEB presence. ( or lack there of) and features as a woodworker I woudl like. Due to the coronavirus, a little delays in getting back sure can’t put that on them!

Arrived when scheduled. Very good service. A couple holes in the box but did not touch anything inside. It looks like the motor comes in a box, so taking the motor and table out, I might be able to mussel the frame into my shop on a hand truck.

A little background. I had a Delta 10 inch all tuned up and found I used it quite a bit, but too small and too much vibration. So I did extensive online research and looked at the Rikon, Jet, and Laguna at the local store. I waffled for weeks between the Rikon and Laguna, eventually deciding a 14-12/220 was the one to get. THen the virus broke out so I did not head to the store. Fortunately, I hope, a tip here on LJ led me to Harvey. A bit if research and more help here in the forum convinced me they are for real. Going by the specs, it is a little better value than the others. 3 HP, brake, even heavier. Value aside, I was most looking for a lifetime tool. I liked the pictures of the guides the best of the group. Final deciding point was a comment from Stumpy Nubs very much liking their bigger ones. OK, sight unseen, hold my breath.

It comes with a 3/4 inch blade from PS wood. I ordered a couple thinner ones from sawblades.com so I can put it through the paces.

I hope my initial 5 stars holds up as I get it into the shop, assembled and put through the paces.

As delivered:

Massive trunnion. Note big iron ring for the brake that adds even more mass to the wheel. A little casting sand on the trunnion to clean off.

#1 posted 04-25-2020 07:14 PM

Post two. Assembled. Piece of cake. Used my engine hoist to lift it to put the feet on it. If you had an assistant, you could probably walk it off the pallet and just tilt to get the feet on. Had to use a floor jack to hold the motor up to get it over the belt mostly because I am old weak guy. Well greased.

So far I have only two suggestions for Harvey. First would be to put a ring eye on the top for lifting. Easier than rigging a sling as I did. Second, I suggest the sequence of instructions be changed to put the motor on first before the table just so you would have more room to not bump your head. Really, if you need instructions to put it together, you probably should not be using one. It is that simple.

OK maybe a third. The lower door came loose in shipping and one of the little plastic hinge spacers did not make it. So maybe one more suggestion is a bit of tape on the doors or an extra first pass with the saran wrap.

I will get some wheels for it in the future. Base is drilled at the back for an axle and wheels. It has a couple threaded bosses on the front I imagine is for some sort of front wheel/lift.

Still highly impressed. Tomorrow: Change the 30 A socket to a 20 , rig a dust hose and fire it up! Today, well it calls for a pint of liquid bread.

View xedos's profile

xedos

#2 posted 04-26-2020 12:26 PM

can’t wait to hear how it cuts .

#3 posted 04-26-2020 01:48 PM

As the gentleman on TV would say, “It will cut”

First cuts.
Thicker strip cut by hand. Thinner strip with the fence. I have made no “tuning” adjustments other than a quick “hone” on the back edge of the band. Still get a “tic-tic” as the weld goes by.

Trivial assembly fault, the tension pointer was not in the shelf. Simple fix. No biggie.
Upper trunnion is stiff. You need to get some tension on the blade for it to move with the tracking control. Only a nuisance when putting on the first blade. The lock knob seemed to be snugged bu a 2-ton ape. Lower wheel brush needed adjusting to the tire.
Another minor users manual issue, the lower guides have only one thumb knob locks both side guides. Manual says ” adjust as the top.” which has two. I have to tilt the table to get my big pawl on the knob to lock the rear bearing guide. Really easy to set. No movement at all as you lock them down. Finally, easy guides.

Interesting design choice. The power switch is on the BACK side of the saw. I have to think about that. Maybe if resawing, they expect you to end up of the far side?
My thinner bands from sawblades.com have not got here yet, so can’t say anything about curves. So far, it is everything I hoped for. Now to go rig some temporary dust collection as again, waiting on delivery of some hose. .

#4 posted 04-26-2020 06:58 PM

Update 3. Getting into the weeds.
One little problem with manufacturing. Inside the lower door there is a bracket where some brands have an insert block. It sticks out too far and kissed the band. A quick touch up with an angle grinder and all is well, but this I will report. Don’t think it hurt the band as I can still split a pencil line by hand.

Parallel of the guide post is off a few thou. It is adjustable, so I will make that dead on. It does seem to be consistent, but until it is in line, can’t be positive.

Next little defect. The table is really flat, until you put in the bolt to keep the slot flat. It pulls it about 2 thou out. Again, I’ll report this. Measured thickness of the table on both sides of the clamp slot and sure enough, off by a couple of thou. Again, nothing I can’t tweak with a hone.

Observation: Putting my table saw miter block on, the front edge of the table is square, where table saws have a bit of a ramp so the gauge catches on the edge. Before I grind a ramp on it, I will think a bit. Could be just a bit of teflon tape in the slot is a better fix. I use an Osbourn on my TS, so the Ridgid miter is available for the BS.

Flipped the power switch around. Seems it was just mounted for shipping. Did not see a comment in the instructions.

Changing the fence from high to low involves unclamping it so the adjustment goes away. I think rather than changing the fence position, I’ll just use a secondary fence when cutting very thin stock with the fence. What I did not like is the fence position lock is just a bolt and the tip is rough. Already put a ding in the rail post. I pulled it out honed it to a smoother rounded end. A better design would have a leaf in there to protect it or a soft tip on the bolt. Nylon tip bolts are available, so I’ll search for one.

Spring catch on the insert is fiddly to clip. I think it just needs a bit of a twist on the ends. Insert adjusted very flush.

Still a happy camper.

#5 posted 04-26-2020 10:24 PM

I was wondering if you’d gotten this yet. Thanks for the update! 16” our 18”, cost + shipping?

#6 posted 04-27-2020 10:12 AM

It is the 14 inch, Ambassador C-14. Lift gate shipping was free and as I mentioned, no tax unless you live in California where their office is. Just say your home is your business. Visit their site for prices. Listed price is the total cost I paid. https://www.harveywoodworking.com/collections/bandsaws

THey do not sell a 16 or 18 under their brand. They may make them OEM, no idea. They make an industrial 15 inch for a lot more. Even heavier, bigger table etc.

Hooked up dust collection. With only my old Delta to compare it to, I am highly impressed. Can’t compare to other competitive saws though.

View RobS888's profile

RobS888

#7 posted 04-27-2020 02:01 PM

We ordered a 14 inch Jet 2 weeks back, can’t wait to get it.

-- I always knew gun nuts where afraid of something, just never thought popcorn was on the list.

#8 posted 04-27-2020 02:43 PM

I provided several recommendations to improve their owners manual and reported the little details I found.
A couple packaging issues. Small.
Flange hitting the blade, easily fixed, and the fix I am about to do where the clamp pulls the table off flat, not to it. Should be easy. Fence lock bolt is rough and will dent the rail. Needs to be a brass or nylon tip bolt.

I can cut a 1/16 slab off a 6×6 free hand splitting the pencil line. Not too shabby! Still leaving it at 5 stars.

#9 posted 04-27-2020 09:29 PM

Spent the entire day trying to fine tune the guide post travel. It came pretty good, but it is adjustable, so why not perfect? Got it better but what a fight. Typical hole clearances were not enough so clamp bolts binding, messed up threads etc. A bit of carbide bit work, chase the threads and workable. I got front to back tilt dead on. Got the twist dead on, provided you help it a little to lock centered. I am still about a mm tilted side to side. I think it can be better, but going to go from here while I make some sawdust.

Brake shoe is bedding is, do it works a bit smoother and quicker. Handy.

#10 posted 04-28-2020 12:35 AM

Well, they can’t spend too much time at the factory getting it perfect… It looks way beefier than my Jet Pro 14”. Those wheels are great. I noticed the thick casting on the bottom one in your earlier posts.

Take some more photos and post them; maybe horizontal, so they don’t flip. I’d like to see the back. I looked at their website and as you said, it needs some work. I didn’t see that it had any internal switches on the doors. Having the foot brake and extra rigidity would be worth it over my Jet. It looks similar to their 15”, but I can’t say what the extra $1500 would be for, unless the table is plated with real gold.

14” of resaw, too. My Grizzly 21” that I just got only has 14.5”. It looks like the post is set up about the same; however, it looks like Harvey redid the bearings/holder, as the upper bearing has a guard covering the front of it.

#11 posted 04-28-2020 03:50 PM

No switches in the doors.
They did not offer a dolly. I am going to add a fixed axle in the back as it has the holes for it, then put a single retractable caster foot on the front. It has some threaded inserts already there to use to brace a front wheel on.

They all look about the same, as they are all about the same. Not too many different ways to do it. The basics were worked out back when they had water-wheel driven overhead shafts.

Camera and my computer do some funny things. Sometimes the pictures flip, sometimes they don’t.

For $1300 at my front door, I don’t mind a few tweeks. A bit of foil tape on the table lock bolt was all it took to have it not pull off-flat. I wil work on the guide post some more. Factory did not adjust it perfectly and they knew it as the lock down bolts for the assembly were binding against the frame. I think the correct solution is the bottom corner of the support block should be radiused to clear the weld. If so, it could drop a couple mm and then the holes would be closer. Not sure if I want to pull the wheel and take it apart totally, but we shall see. It is rigid enough that if tuned dead on, it should keep bearing alignment over the full length. As I intend it to be my last saw, it is worth the effort. My magnetic light is not bright or focused enough, so I wil pick up a different one. I need lots of light.

All this fiddling, if I were to design a saw, I think I would have the guide post with a V-slot in it for the lock, not a flat side. It would be more consistent in keeping the rotational alignment. I would make the trunion taller so big fat fingers could reach into the guides easier. The C-14 trunnion is pretty beefy, but the Laguna is even bigger.

If I paid $3500 for the Powermatic and it needed tweaking, then I would be unhappy!

Throat plate is a bit of a big opening. Already had a few small bits fly through, so I will make up come tighter ones out of plastic.

Picture shows the bolts that were binding on the post lock down. T-slot is on the back of the fence, so to put on a tall fence would take some reconfig. ( or drill a couple of holes. )

Darn pictures, right side up on my desktop! Oh well, deal with it.

#12 posted 04-28-2020 04:33 PM

No, You’re right. It’s a very good value at $1300, with the nice fence, 3 hp motor, cast iron trunions, for brake and switches. Well worth the $500 over what I paid for my Jet!

#13 posted 04-28-2020 06:53 PM

I thought so. Jet is a good tool, but this one is a tank. The $2000 Rikon and Lagunas are also really really sweet tools. Had I not found this ( help from a forum member) I might have bought the SUV.

#14 posted 04-28-2020 07:59 PM

Ya, I’m the one that posted about Harvey & seeing this on Stumpy Nubs.

#15 posted 04-28-2020 10:04 PM

Again my thanks. Happy camper.