There's Life Left in That There Sanding Disc

Review by LittleBlackDuck posted 04-20-2020 05:42 AM 1315 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
There's Life Left in That There Sanding Disc There's Life Left in That There Sanding Disc There's Life Left in That There Sanding Disc Click the pictures to enlarge them

Boys and Girls,

I have been using these sanding blocks long before Moses started building the ark. While they are my goto sanding savior, I was surprised to hear that many people have never crossed paths with them.

I am not spruiking any brands but rather the product. You can find a supplier by Googling 150mm disc sanding blocks.

===============================================================

Late amendment for you imperial tragics…. Google using 6” discs….

===============================================================

I believe (I have been known to be wrong… sometime… I think) they were developed, or at least extensively used, in the panel beating trade. True or false, I acquired my first block from an automotive supplier.

They are designed to accept a 150mm hook & loop type sanding disc, and believe it or not, the grit doesn’t matter… incredible invention.

They are ideal for all those worn sanding discs that no longer cut, but you are too loathed to swap them for a new one just in case there is still one grain of sand with a bit of an edge. When they are used for manual sanding, there’s still a lot of life left in those dull worn discs.

As we progressively grew to be dust conscious and converted to perforated discs, I will admit they are not ideal for these pads because the holes can easily catch on a sharp corned when manually sanding,

however, with a bit of care it shouldn’t be a major issue. I will fess up that there was a time when I deliberately bought non-perforated discs for sole use on these blocks.
Now that I have migrated to Abranet discs it is not an issue

(other than using up my stockpile of non-perforated discs)

I have mentioned in the past that I’m conducive to workshop consumable’s hoarding.

I have a number of these blocks with 3 dedicated to 180G, 240G and 320G… the rest I load up as required.

With the Velcro, you can reposition the disc (if it has a sharp perimeter) to get into fairly tight corners,

No idea why, other than the camera was in the workshop, I made this “short” video which will tell you absolutely nothing new to what I’ve covered here other than listen to a +71yo mumble through his beard.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#1 posted 04-20-2020 08:53 AM

Oh so there was a second Ark built?

The structure of the ark, Noah’s instructions are given to him by God the ark is to be 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high. These dimensions are based on a numerological preoccupation with the number sixty, the same number characterising the vessel of the Babylonian flood-hero.

Wait i think I remember Grahame Kennedy mentioning multiple Arks on TV some time back.

I believe (I have been known to be wrong… sometime… I think)

-- Regards Rob

#2 posted 04-20-2020 12:34 PM

..... instructions are given to him by God…..

- robscastle

And got taken off air! It took a crow to take get him banned… not a deity.

#3 posted 04-20-2020 04:06 PM

man are we gonna talk about sanding blocks or building an ark?

found this on amazon,looks like what you have? youd think someone doing a review would provide this info huh!
i expect more from you ducks.

-- working with my hands is a joy,it gives me a sense of fulfillment,somthing so many seek and so few find.-SAM MALOOF.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#4 posted 04-20-2020 04:08 PM

Gawd I’m glad to see someone else who is too “thrifty” to ever toss old grit 8^)
I’ve go ta small pile of those POS black rubber sanding blocks (with the embedded nails to hold the paper). I hate this things! I always hope someone will “Yelp” them with a bad review and inspire a redesign. I’l have to buy another one soon to see if it happened yet.

Your blocks look like they may actually work as intended. I may need to throw one in the old shopping cart next time I snag a few more black rubber units!

Your video (no, I didn’t, why would I waste precious minutes watching something like that 8^), got me thinking…..

Do a stop-motion video, you know, the type used in the old Godzilla movies where he looks like he’s had a bit too much caffeine, and video all your colorful shop items moving about doing something inane. That’s a video I’d consider watching, maybe.

#5 posted 04-20-2020 10:09 PM

i expect more from you ducks.
- pottz

Hey pottzy (aka rc inquisitor), where should I stop when making a simple review???

Do you wan’t me to itemise each piece, quote the measure of the box, give you the dimensions and color of my jocks?
Damn it… you know I like to limit my posts, keep them short, to the point, one sentence write ups without wasting words… no BS, no fanfare and definitely no dancing girls!

... the type used in the old Godzilla movies…
- splintergroup
splinter’, the closest you’ll get to Godzilla is a closeup of my animal night shirt.

#6 posted 04-20-2020 10:14 PM

i know your always so short on words,and i hate when you only post a dozen pic’s.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#7 posted 04-21-2020 11:35 AM

-- Regards Rob

#8 posted 04-21-2020 12:09 PM

- robscastle

Must admit I didn’t bother… thought he’d be smart enough to try to buy it from the States… my bad. States or UK, who gives a rats… they’re all made in China.

#9 posted 04-21-2020 01:36 PM

- robscastle

Must admit I didn t bother… thought he d be smart enough to try to buy it from the States… my bad. States or UK, who gives a rats… they re all made in China.

- LittleBlackDuck

the only other place i found them was rockler,but they were over 22 bucks each with a cheesy flat pad,too much.but for a rich duck,no problem.maybe as a good friend you could gift some to us stooges?

#10 posted 04-21-2020 02:15 PM

- pottz

It’s you bloody politics… and religion…

Those blocks are for 150mm discs not bleeding 6” garbage… no wonder you couldn’t find a 150mm hit in that backward land of yours… Rule Britania…

I probably could (and would) send, if not for the minimum $60 or so postage for even the smallest package I tend to incur in the past posting to the States… But then again it would be 150mm pads not 6”.

Its readily available in Australia… maybe you Yankees should start returning some of those shekels us Australians forked out buying form the States and help us bolster our coffers.

Hell with this TP shortage, you’ll be asking me to come and wipe your rrrs for you.

Try,

PS. Better still, to prove I’m a good friend… post your job to me, I’ll sand it… using 150mm disc… and send it back.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#11 posted 04-22-2020 08:23 PM

It would be nice if someone with 3D printing skills could make a file to print these. One can buy hook and loop to put on them.

LBD it would be a community service!

#12 posted 04-22-2020 09:36 PM

LBD it would be a community service!

- Redoak49

Reddy, when I first read your comment, the non alcohol rusted gears in my brain went into overdrive, however, fortunately the hormones settled quickly and I could pour another glass of vino.

It’s 7:00am here and I am just still sober and make the assumption that this is tongue in cheek so… I’ll respond on a more serious sober note even if I’d relist the challenge using SketchUp.

3D printing could address the issue of the streamlined racing car shape, however, it’s hard to compare the rigid 3D printed plastic with the “molded hard foam” of these blocks. It’s the “texture” of the purchased block that makes them comfortable to use, flexible for softish contours, yet hard enough for effective rigid sanding.

Sheets of hook material are not cheap… I buy sandpaper in bulk rolls along with sheets/rolls of the starter (hooks)

and the latter left little change out of $200… though I bought it many years ago before hook and loop became a household name.
I use these for those dedicated sanding jigs that cannot be purchased. A shopmade block, when fully costed (including a nominal labor cost) would make pottzy’s Rockler experience of $22 a discounted bargain basement price.

Far too often cost savings in a workshop is total false economy if woodies costed their time into a project.

my $3.26 worth!

rc’s purchase of a swag of these is a testament to their worth… considering he’s still without his lobster pot wallet.

PS. My community service is to keep the vino industry flurishing…

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#13 posted 04-22-2020 11:15 PM

I apologize for making a bad suggestion and will not do it again. I will be making a wood one.

I bought 6” x 1 yard of adhesive backed book and loop for $14. This is enough to make several sanding blocks.

#14 posted 04-23-2020 12:49 AM

- Redoak49

Now I don’t know whether you’re joking or not… but no apology needed and it was not a bad suggestion. I just have this weird belief on conflict between parting with shekels vs. busting a sweat in the workshop.

I do agree that wood be a better option. Nevertheless if you do make it, I’d be interested if you could take note of time and materrials… and post it here… if only to prove my point or just stick it up me!

View xedos's profile

xedos

#15 posted 04-26-2020 12:44 PM

does the net abrasive wear out the velcro on those blocks per-maturely ?