3D Printer

Review by stevejack posted 04-15-2020 03:37 PM 1265 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
3D Printer 3D Printer 3D Printer Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have always been a wood worker and a computer designer guy. I had heard of these things called 3D Printer that actuality make things in 3D but back in the days they were very expensive. Today they are cheap cheap cheap! I work in the 3D animation world so I wanted one to make my 3D Objects come to life that you could hold in your hands, never thinking about the wood working arena…..

SO I got one and man is it cool! There are many brands and after doing a lot a research I settle on the Artillery Sidewinder X-1. For these reasons. 1) The Extruder is what they call a Direct Drive extruder and not feet away for the busienss end. 2) You don’t have to buy 100s of dollars of necessary upgrades, modifications and improvements just to get started printing.

This machine costs at $500. Each Spool of PLA Plastic is $20 and I bought tons and have not yet gone through one spool yet. There are many types of materiel you can buy to print with, glow in the dark, flexible, hard, soft, metallic, high heat, Carbon fiber, Clear, there is even a PLA Plastic that is made up of Wood Flour so it sands machines, stains and finished juts like real wood. I SHEET YOU NOT!

PROS——-CHEAP——The basic software is free (CURA) and there are endless sources for support like facebook groups! There are many sites where you can download objects for free. You can even download objects you can print out that you can use to improve, modify your machine. When was the last time your table saw made a feather board for you by itself. You can connect directly into your computer or even your cell phone. Most of the time you download your object to a USB drive then plug that into your machine hit print and walk away, Thats the most popular way! You can even buy a Raspberry Pie device so you can access your machine via your cell phone from anywhere on the planet and check on its progress/status. When dealing with the free software CURA I use, It will tell you how long it will take to print and how much plastic it will use. You can even get FREE software to make custom 3D Object. Such as BLENDER

CONS—- ADDICTION EXPENSIVE——-These machines print SLLLOOOOOOWWWWW! They have to melt the plastic then lay each tiny little line down. Most of the time the line is .4 mm, you can print finer or courser but .4mm is standard with good results.. They can be very finicky and temperamental. You must keep/use them in a clean controlled area. NOT CLOSE TO THE CAT BOX! In the pic provided the Black Clock frame took 4 hours to print…..The Copper colored ring nearly one hour. The CLOCK cup you cant see took 8.5 hours. You can get carried away and buy a lot of different materials…The software will not and yo can not MAKE objects It only SLICES it, is the tern used…

Since I have done 3D modeling most of my life its easy for me to make complex custom objects in any number of programs, then export the files in the required format (STL) Copy it to the USB drive plug that into the machine hit print and WA LA!

These machines are also great for making parts such Attachments, Braces, knobs, etc. if you need it or can think it up you can print it! You can even have them print a ROUGH texture such as like on a knife handle.

There are many brand names out there but they are for the most part the same. DO YOUR HOME WORK! When I did mine and all fingers pointed to the Artillery Sidewinder X-1 in the $500 class..

IN the pics I provided is one of a small CUBE, I printed this at the average resolution..

PRINT ON!

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 04-15-2020 05:50 PM

I really would like to have one but my lack of the 3D modeling skills keeps me from getting one. Thanks for the review.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

8114 posts in 2068 days

#2 posted 04-15-2020 07:13 PM

Totally agree about use in the workshop stevej’...

I wrote a blog about using 3D printer in the workshop.
and made a compilation of some of my Christmas 3D Stocking Fillers.

I’m certainly in favour of incorporating a 3D printer into ones woodworking arsenal.

#3 posted 04-15-2020 09:45 PM

Well you can still use for free Objects You may wish to go look at https://www.thingiverse.com/

- Redoak49

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#4 posted 04-17-2020 09:44 AM

Nice wright up. If it can make a quality golf ball I’m in.

-- Petey

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#6 posted 04-24-2020 08:36 PM

#7 posted 04-24-2020 10:08 PM

All I know is you have to EXPORT as an STL FILE! Then Open that in the SLICER program I us CURA and its free. If you can save or export as STL field then you are good. Want to send me a file and see what I can do?

- MrRon

View Steve Peterson's profile

Steve Peterson

#8 posted 04-25-2020 08:42 PM

- MrRon

I believe it needs to be in 3D. For many parts, this means not much more than adding a thickness to a 2D part. The real benefit comes when you combining multiple components into a single part, avoiding the need to glue pieces together.

I agree with stevejack that 3D printers are addictive and slow. I don’t mind the cost. A good printer plus a dozen rolls of filament costs about as much as an average bandsaw. They are slow, but they can continue printing while you are doing other things.

Here are some 3D printed clocks. The larger clock on the right takes around 140 hours to print and 1 Kg of filament.

-- Steve

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

#9 posted 07-31-2020 11:09 PM

Great write up. I love my 3D printer. good to see another affordable, quality printer on the market as it is typically flooded with so many different companies coming in and cheap knockoffs. No complaints on my Ender 3 Pro. Thingiverse is a godsend as well. No need to model anything as it’s most likely someone already did. lol. I’ve printed a few 3D woodworking accessories (switching magnet and bandsaw guide using magswitch and bearings to name a couple). The applications are practically limitless to your imagination or your ability to search the web for STL files…lol.