Just Got a New Career!

Review by TeleMaker posted 04-05-2020 07:17 PM 1759 views 1 time favorited 41 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 1.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Just Got a New Career! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using a shop built drum sander for five or six years, for building custom Tele style guitars. Worked great, but my wife bought me an anniversary present a couple of weeks ago, so I made the mistake of throwing the old warhorse onto Craigslist. BIG MISTAKE. Spent two hours trying to get the conveyor belt to track. Impossible – Ordered another belt to replace the shredded original belt. (Yes, I installed the plastic “guides”, per the manual.) Forced to make constant adjustments, watching carefully to keep the belt sort of centered. (Good thing that it moves slowly enough to keep fiddling with the adjusters.)

Now we come to the good part. There should be a special place in hell for the designer of the inboard sandpaper clips.
After spending over an hour trying to fasten the sandpaper, the clip screw into the drum came loose. Found another screw and nut, disassembled the drum and reattached the clip. Spent another half hour trying to attach the paper (Yes, I tried to use the magic fastener grabber – forget it.) Gave up, and took the drum off again, used locking pliers to hold the end tight enough to take up the slack. I’ve determined that the only way to change abrasives is to take this POS apart.

I’m going to do the “bigger fool” remedy, and send this to another happy home on CL, taking a significant hit on money spent.

A JOKE!

View TeleMaker's profile

TeleMaker

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#1 posted 04-05-2020 07:59 PM

I would return it for a refund since you can’t make it work…

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View mikeber's profile

mikeber

#2 posted 04-05-2020 08:32 PM

Sorry for your bad experience. Unfortunately it’s quite common these days with many tools. On top of that real technical support is almost in existent.

View Bob Kassmeyer's profile

Bob Kassmeyer

#3 posted 04-05-2020 08:44 PM

It is a learning experience, but once you learn it it’s a pretty good piece of machinery.

-- Bob Kassmeyer, Nebraska

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#4 posted 04-05-2020 09:03 PM

Surprised to hear that T’M’. I’ll concur that fitting the paper is a bigger pain in the arse than a set of baboon’s piles, however, i found that the secret to securing it is to fold over the end so that there are two sandpaper surfaces to prevent slippage…

I can’t make any suggestions regarding the tracking… If you can categorically rule out user error, you should be able to get a replacement if not a refund. I’ve had several drum sanders ranging from bargain basement to the Jet Oscilattor and amongst all my issues I never had a major tracking problems. I did find that at times the tracking adjustment is measured in low degrees rather than fraction of circle adjuster bolt turns.

From your review, you probably should drop your rating from five star!

#5 posted 04-05-2020 09:24 PM

yeah i was thinking the same thing,you say it’s a pos but gave it 5 stars,a mistake i assume? im kinda surprised though ive got a few jet tools and there all excellent quality.i have the bigger 16-32 and it’s been flawless.i set the tracking when i got it a few years ago and have never touched it since.id send it back too if it’s that bad.

View LittleBlackDuck's profile

LittleBlackDuck

#6 posted 04-05-2020 10:28 PM

... ive got a few jet tools and there all excellent quality….
- pottz

Soly Hhit pottzy probably for the first time we agree… not in the same book, let alone the page… but actually agree. Hell, it’s time for a,

#7 posted 04-05-2020 11:35 PM

... ive got a few jet tools and there all excellent quality….
- pottz

Soly Hhit pottzy probably for the first time we agree… not in the same book, let alone the page… but actually agree. Hell, it s time for a,

- LittleBlackDuck

just back from break had a liitle canadien whiskey in the spa tub and i see your celebrating yourself.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#8 posted 04-06-2020 12:01 AM

well if its anything mine and pottzys you need the skills of a prostrate examiner to get to the locking lever

As difficult as it is you may have to do just as LBD did, and bend over more!

They are great sanding machines!

-- Regards Rob

#9 posted 04-06-2020 12:08 AM

As difficult as it is you may have to do just as LBD did, and bend over more!

They are great sanding machines!

- robscastle

ive kinda got it down finally,the last time i changed out the paper in about 5 minutes.am i braggin…..yes!

View stevejack's profile

stevejack

#10 posted 04-06-2020 10:24 AM

I have never seen a PRO-SUMER Drum sander that worked

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#11 posted 04-06-2020 12:50 PM

LBD – thanks for the suggestion of folding the end of the paper to improve grip.
I have the little Grizzly G0716 – 10” sander & while I was getting better on replacing the paper, recently have the problem of it pulling out.
Looking forward to trying your approach.

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#12 posted 04-06-2020 01:54 PM

I have the Supermax 16/32 and it is great. Even with bad hands, I still have very little issue of putting paper in it. Yes, it is a l earning process but once mastered not much of an issue.

I do not know what “PRO-SUMER” drum sander is defined as but my Supermax is a very solid heavy machine that works

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#13 posted 04-06-2020 02:01 PM

- Redoak49

I have the Supermax as well and it’s a great machine. Yes, it’s a learning process. But since I use the drum sander intermittently, it’s always a learning process.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

3645 posts in 1953 days

#14 posted 04-06-2020 02:14 PM

It may be an issue with the smaller DSs but I have an older Performax 26/32 and never had any problem with clearance/access to the inboard clamp. Basically lift the clamp lever with the right index finger and slip the paper in with the left hand. I like the Duck’s idea of folding which should also minimize the tendency of the paper to curl and “miss” the clamp.

I wil agree that the number 1 complaint I read about DSs is installing the paper and dealing with the inboard clamp, A big reason many switch over to the hook-eye type drum and papers.

Manufactures could learn something here and design a better mousse trap.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#15 posted 04-06-2020 03:14 PM

I’m really surprised to hear of your problems with a Jet product. Jet has been one of the best companies making quality machines. If they have out-sourced to China, that may answer the problem. Usually they have been manufactured in Taiwan which is a huge step up from China. Let’s hope the parent company who owns Jet, Powermatic and others doesn’t destroy the industry like Delta did for their line. Bring quality back to the U.S. of A. I’m sure the American public is willing to pay more for quality.