Uncle Bill’s Sliver Gripper

Review by TungOil posted 03-30-2020 04:52 PM 2116 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Uncle Bill’s Sliver Gripper No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been woodworking for decades, and have gotten my share of splinters over that time. I’ve tried a number of different ‘tools’ for removing splinters, but never found anything that really worked well for the tiny splinters I seem to pick up constantly while building furniture. Until now.

I came across the Uncle Bill’s Sliver Gripper about a year ago, so thought I’d give it a try.

This is by far the best tool I have used for removing splinters, hands down. It comes with a small holder that the tweezers clip into that you can hang on your work apron so they are always immediately available to remove the offending shard.

The tips of the Sliver Gripper come to an extremely sharp point, making it ideal for extracting even the tiniest of splinters, especially when they are below the skin. I find they grip really well and I have yet to come across a splinter that I couldn’t get out with this tool.

And, they are made in the USA!

-- The optimist says "the glass is half full". The pessimist says "the glass is half empty". The engineer says "the glass is twice as big as it needs to be"

View TungOil's profile

TungOil

View Rich's profile (online now)

Rich

#1 posted 03-30-2020 05:43 PM

Thanks for the review. I see these next to the register when I check out at Woodcraft. I’ll definitely pick some up next time I’m over there.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

#2 posted 03-30-2020 06:08 PM

good tip tung.i have one i got from rockler a few years ago that has a magnifier attached to it,works pretty good too.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#3 posted 03-30-2020 08:17 PM

Mine has served me well for many years. They always work way better than any of the other things that we have around the house.

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 03-30-2020 08:25 PM

I have the same ones but different name and they work great.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#5 posted 03-31-2020 01:54 PM

Bought mine from Lee Valley years ago, has been on the key chain ever since!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#6 posted 03-31-2020 04:44 PM

I need to get one of these so I can stop using the blade of my utility knife to dig out the slivers.

#7 posted 04-01-2020 06:39 AM

Like pottzy, I have a peek-a-boo set of tweezers,

though I wouldn’t dare leave it lying around in the workshop…

Furthermore, I didn’t need the ’fier attachment to spot this splitter,

#8 posted 04-01-2020 02:27 PM

another good trick is put some glue over the splinter let it dry and peel it and the splinter out.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#9 posted 04-01-2020 07:01 PM

That’s a great idea!

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

#10 posted 04-01-2020 10:41 PM

That s a great idea!

- cmmyakman

It is a great idea from pottzy, however, don’t use superglue and a quick pull as I had to get my finger sewed back on by my regular plastic surgeon.

#11 posted 04-02-2020 03:23 AM

guess i should have been more precise so guys like the duck dont hurt themselves-lol.i thought ducks had feathers and webbed feet duckjie,what’s thise finger stuff ;-)

#12 posted 04-02-2020 04:31 AM

..... what s thise finger stuff ;-)

- pottz

I know KFC is finger looking good… but so is a duck !!!!!

View LeeRoyMan's profile

LeeRoyMan

#13 posted 04-02-2020 02:06 PM

I’ll have to give them a try.
I usually end up using a needle to dig them out and end up with a bigger hole that hurts more than the splinter did.

On the humorous side:
Man, I could have used this a few months ago. Ended up using channel locks.

-- I only know what I know, nothing less, nothing more -- That doesn't count what I used to know..

#14 posted 04-02-2020 02:13 PM

I ll have to give them a try.

On the humorous side:
Man, I could have used this a few months ago. Ended up using channel locks.

- LeeRoyMan

yikes no magnifier needed to find that one

#15 posted 04-02-2020 06:42 PM

- LeeRoyMan

yikes no magnifier needed to find that one

- pottz

Yeah, but in which finger?