Dremel Fortiflex - wonderful tool for many uses.

Review by mafe posted 03-23-2020 03:28 PM 2090 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dremel Fortiflex - wonderful tool for many uses. Dremel Fortiflex - wonderful tool for many uses. Dremel Fortiflex - wonderful tool for many uses. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Dremel Fortiflex – flexible shaft motor

Bought this flexible shaft motor, after reading that so many people talking good about this kind of tool.
It’s not cheap, but I have to say it is worth the money.
I have used it a lot, since I bought it and for both woodworking and blacksmithing work.
The motor has plenty of power, the pedal are well balanced and the two different handle types are making it even more versitile. I prefer the thin handle for fine work, where the bigger one are manly used in my DIY mini router.

Negative: ... nope.

Here it is in my wee workshop, I put it in a place, where it can hang always and where it’s east to reach and use.

Made a small inlay router stand for it (inspired by Shipwright Paul), in combination with the Dremel bit, it works like a charm, really a usufull little tool.

Also for polishing curved blades, it has become a favorite, here a spoon knife.

Hope it can be useful.

Best thoughts,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect.

View mafe's profile

mafe

View Andre's profile

Andre

#1 posted 03-23-2020 04:00 PM

The Dremel tools are quite amazing, I have a cordless one that always surprises me that the battery never goes dead,
sits on the shelf for months and always ready to go! Have looked at the flex shaft but haven’t found a reason to get it, yet?

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 03-23-2020 04:17 PM

Thanks, Mads, for review and a peek at some of your shop made accessories.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#3 posted 03-23-2020 07:07 PM

Great review – I have a Foredom tool and I never thought of using it to polish curved blades. Thank you for the tip.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#4 posted 03-24-2020 01:06 AM

I would have to agree about the Dremel being a very useful tool. Its one of the tools, that I find I use several times on almost all of my projects, and to use for quick fixes on those little problems that crop up around the house. I use the battery one. My only problem with that one, is the spindle lock button. I sometimes get confused with the RPM up/down buttons. I’ll end up jamming the tool from spinning and it shuts off….one of those cringe moments…but it still seems to work ok afterwards. I just feel like its going to snap off one these days.

-- Al,Midwest -To thine own self be true

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#5 posted 03-24-2020 02:15 AM

That’s a new one. I have not seen a flex drive Dremel around here!

Cheers, my friend…Jim

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#6 posted 04-22-2020 05:58 PM

I love the nod to Foredom with ”Fortiflex” name ;)

I’ve had the flex shaft attachment for my old Dremel and used it a lot before I bought a more powerful “other brand” hanging motor flexshaft. Most of the tools I put in it are Dremel bits!

Flex shaft is 90% of the time a better way to go for what I do!

that said, I still have the Dremel for when I need a bit on a motor.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

View mafe's profile

mafe

#7 posted 04-23-2020 07:42 AM

CyberDyneSystems, yes I have to admit I did not have my old Dremel up the drawer, since I bought this one. I use it all the time, often just for cutting a bolt or what ever I just need to get done, while working on a project.
Stay safe.
Best thoughts,
Mads

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect.