Excellent dust collection

Review by iminmyshop posted 03-21-2020 02:33 AM 3460 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent dust collection No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My 14 year old 1 3/8hp Powermatic dust collector finally bit the dust (pun intended). I’m glad it did. This 5hp Oneida dust collector puts it to shame. I’m not used to working in such a clean shop. The suction on this is amazing. This model is intended to work with either one 4” port or up to three 1 1/2” ports at a time but I routinely use it on a 4” and one or two smaller ports at once and it does just fine.

It is definitely not a quiet machine but seems no more or less noisy than my Powermatic or any other dust collector I’ve ever heard. In the fall I plan a big shop remodel and will install a system of ductwork around the shop but for now I’m just using the long, very high quality hose that came with it.

It took some time putting it together. The instructions were good but they upgraded the machine since the instructions were printed and didn’t make the changes. It was not a big deal. All the parts seem to be of very good quality.

I got the unit with the 35 gal can. I think if you’re doing any amount of regular woodworking that’s the minimum needed so you don’t constantly have to empty the can. There is also a sensor that “looks” into the can to tell you when to change it.

The customer service is awesome. They patiently answered my questions over multiple calls before I decided to go ahead with the purchase. They were knowledgeable, patient and applied zero pressure. The remote did not work right out of the box. It was replaced immediately with no hassle and was simple to swap out.

The unit is not the cheapest on the market but, after looking at its competitors, I felt it was worth it. I feel even better about it having used it.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 03-21-2020 10:32 AM

Interesting to read how these units perform and amazing static pressure with smaller hoses. If I did not have a new Oneida system I would consider it.

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#2 posted 03-21-2020 09:08 PM

Nice review, what was yout total cost?

-- Petey

#3 posted 03-21-2020 11:59 PM

Peteybadboy – Thanks. The total was $2,839

View Andre's profile

Andre

#4 posted 03-23-2020 04:05 AM

Not sure why one would even try to compare a 1 3/8(?) hp unit with a 5 hp one?

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View edapp's profile

edapp

#5 posted 03-23-2020 12:24 PM

Because that is all he has to compare it to? Old one vs new one. New one more expensive and much better. Would be a shame if it were much better.

Thanks for the review, never seen one of these. Love my V3000 but I agree about the 35 gallon can. Feel like it is always full, but don’t have the ceiling height to upgrade.

#6 posted 03-24-2020 12:02 AM

Just wanting to add to what edapp says (thanks for that).

We all get dust collectors for lots of reasons, health benefits chief among them. A cleaner shop, in my mind, is a big side benefit. This machine is far more costly than my old machine and I could not possibly have afforded it at the time I bought the old one. BUT, if you can swing it, I’m suggesting it is worth spending the money.

For me, the decision to go for it followed the same logic as when I bought my Sawstop. There are some health benefits that are incalculable. Success with machines like tthe Sawstop and really good dust collectors looks like – well, nothing. Nothing bad happens. Success is counted by all the fingers NOT lopped off, ER visits NOT taken, lung cancers and chronic lung disease that does NOT occur. Plus I really do like working in a cleaner shop. Lower powered, less costly machines definitely do help. But not nearly like a better one. Wish I’d realized that sooner.

View Green_Hornut's profile

Green_Hornut

#7 posted 03-27-2020 08:22 PM

Just curious about the sound. I was interested in it until I realized it was essentially 3 universal shop vac motors all running at the same time. A couple of years ago I moved from a dedicated out building for my shop back to a shop in the basement of the house. It didn’t matter how noisey it was, how dusty it was, throw open the big garage door and all the windows and everything was good. Now noise and dust abatement became primary concerns. You mentioned noise, I’d like to hear more about that aspect of the collector.

-- Mother Nature always bats last.

#8 posted 03-27-2020 08:49 PM

.... I d like to hear more about that aspect of the collector.- Green_Hornut

Good question but difficult to answer without you actually hearing it. In the absence of a decibel meter I can only offer my personal experience.
- I’ve heard other dust collectors. They are all noisy. There’s the sound of the machine itself and also the noise of air rushing through a confined space. The suction on this is VERY strong. That’s good. But it is not quiet.
- I ALWAYS use ear protection when using machines.
- My wife works in the adjacent room. She does not think it’s any noisier than before. It’s not quieter either. She has definitely noticed how clean my shop is. Now if it would just put away my tools…..
- I am hoping to expand my shop. If I do – and maybe even if I don’t – I will move the dust collector to the other side of the wall which is in my garage. It has a remote which can work through a wall. That will help in sound reduction enormously. Without a remote and without a sensor to let me know that the can is full, that would not have been an option with my old machine.
Hope that helps.

View guitarchitect's profile

guitarchitect

#9 posted 04-18-2020 11:20 AM

You can download decibel meter apps for your phone :)

Terrific review. Definitely going to have to put this on my list!

View Royd's profile

Royd

#10 posted 10-30-2020 04:21 PM

Thanks for the review! How often do you find yourself emptying the bag?

-- Royd in Chicago

#11 posted 10-30-2020 04:58 PM

Royd – That depends on how busy I am and how much I’m milling in particular since that makes the most sawdust. Sometimes the bag needs emptying every few days, sometimes once a month. For me, the 35 gal was the right size. Any bigger and I couldn’t lift it like I used to. The key is that emptying the bag is super easy and not time consuming at all.