Nice, inexpensive shop lights

Review by whope posted 02-28-2020 12:43 PM 920 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice, inexpensive shop lights Nice, inexpensive shop lights Nice, inexpensive shop lights Click the pictures to enlarge them

One of my fluorescent lights went out in my garage shop and I was already planning on redoing my shop layout so I started looking at upgrading my lights. The big blue box store had a nice LED light but they appear to no longer stocking that item.

So I checked the jungle and found these in 6-packs for $44 a pack. The one I was looking at were $21 each, so much cheaper.

Wanting to put 4 per bay in the garage, I ordered 2 packs and 3 sets of 5’ connector cables. My son was in town, so we spent an hour or so pulling down the hanging lights and surface mounting these, 4’ apart.

Totally awesome. Now I have to wear sunglasses in my shop. :) Okay, not really. Now I don’t have any dark corners and the lights don’t need any warm-up time in cold weather.

I’ll take 3 of the remaining lights and put them under the large storage shelves I have along the back wall. The last one, I think I’ll mount vertically to move around items I’m finishing.

View mike02719's profile

mike02719

#1 posted 02-28-2020 02:11 PM

My shop, garage, and cellar have been lit by old fluorescent lights for ever. At any given time, 10% of the lamps were out. I have been replacing them with Max Lite twin 4’ led fixtures slowly over time. They are not only brighter, but use less electricity. During my lifetime I don’t think I will break even on usage, but I will not be changing bulbs all the time. I buy them at discount stores for $9.99.

-- Mike, Massachusetts

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

#2 posted 02-29-2020 05:37 AM

Where did you find them? No clue what “the jungle” is.

#3 posted 02-29-2020 09:59 AM

Thanx

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#5 posted 03-01-2020 05:08 PM

I bought 2 packs of the Barrina T5 LED’S. They are fantastic.

View Wuu's profile

Wuu

#6 posted 03-03-2020 12:27 PM

Glad you are happy, not what I felt with them though.

So how many total lights are up? I did extensive testing using a 16 pack and it was not enough for a est. 20×20 garage. You have to put so many together that (while cheap), are more expensive to run. The 6-pack is using 120w and they are no where near outputting what two 13w 800/900 daylight led bulbs were outputting.

Is the Barrina lights the only thing lighting your shop?

If someone is coming from a one or two bulb shop, yes you’ll see a big jump. Though if you have messed with LED strips or fixtures, you’ll be disappointed.

(For anyone interested, be aware that cameras compensate a lot, pictures and videos I had took looked way brighter than reality.)

#7 posted 03-03-2020 11:46 PM

I’ve 4 per side, spaced 4 feet apart starting 2 feet from the doors centered in each bay. I have a 3-foot shelf along the back wall that hangs down about 3 feet with a 10’ fixed bench underneath. I’ve taken 2 additional lights and mounted them to the bottom of the shelf. I’ll take another unit and mount it under another part of the shelf in the corner where it’s dark.

That will be the only lighting. I did have 5 fluorescent twin-tube mounts (two over each bay covering the middle to back of the garage and one over the bench) and the difference is significant. Not to mention in cold weather, the fluorescent bulbs took a while to warm up (and I had cold weather units).

I’d say the photos are fairly representative of the brightness.

Everyone’s experience is different. At the moment, I’m pleased with them. If that changes, I will note it here.

View LesB's profile

LesB

#8 posted 03-04-2020 06:53 PM

I’m sold on LED replacement for flourescent lights but one draw back I found when I tried to convert my 8’ fixtures in the shop was RF signal interference on my shop radio. There was too much RF to listen to the radio but I have to say I live in a rural area with week radio signals to start with.

For those people with fluorescent fixtures already in place there are LED tubes that replace the fluorescent tubes directly, still using the ballast for power, or there are tubes that use bypass wiring that eliminate the ballast but require minimal rewiring of the fixture for direct connection to 120v. I have used them in my garage and bathrooms and they work great. I prefer the ballast free type because the ballast is part of the problem with fluorescent lights when it comes to maintenance.

-- Les B, Oregon

View ibewjon's profile

ibewjon

#9 posted 03-22-2020 05:25 PM

If you buy the easy change lamps that use the old ballast, you will soon be buying ballasts to keep your new lamps running. And the ballast consumes a lot of power. The heat it generates is not free.

#10 posted 03-22-2020 05:39 PM

And that’s what triggered my to replace the florescents, one of the ballasts went out.

View Madmark2's profile

Madmark2

#11 posted 03-22-2020 06:28 PM

We put LED bulbs/tubes everywhere. Is much better.

Shop has three chained fixtures plus the usual 4’ dual tube garage ceiling fixture. The chained fixtures are directly over the router/saw, drill press, band saw and chop saw.

3x “60w equiv” candela bulbs in each garage side light make it daylight out there.

The kitchen has 8 4’ LED tubes in four fixtures plus four LED 60’s in the ceiling fan and 3 over the breakfast table. All Edison base bulbs are the Phillips dimmable warm whites. They give a light identical to the old incandescent bulbs everyone loves for 1/4 the energy and 2.5x the lumens and at under $5 for two there is no reason not to change over.

Put in LED counter backsplash lighting too:

Off …

Dim …

Bright.

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!